Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: JohnnyDoom - creative names for doom mods

Post by Dwailing »

heron wrote:
Dwailing wrote:I recall someone had posted an older but apparently mostly feature-identical version of the mod that supposedly had fewer issues with blood lag, but the link to that version seems to be dead. Would someone else be able to upload the old version
somewhere so it's available?
I was the original uploader. I should have known the url had an expiration date... anyways, I uploaded that version again. It's the one I use and works fine. Some mapsets are impossible to play, but it is great for the most part... and I have a shitty rig.

http://www.filedropper.com/johnnydoom

enjoy!
You rock, mate. Thanks!
heron

Post by heron »

So did it work even a little better for you with this version?
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

heron wrote:So did it work even a little better for you with this version?
Much. Side note, I was still experiencing lag when playing with GZDoom 3.1.0, so I switched to 2.1.1 (which I had installed for another mod) and by god it was smooth as butter. Don't know if there was something changed in 3.1.0 vs. 2.1.1 or what, but it seemed to help. Your millage may vary, however; I haven't done any really thorough tests or anything.
Dynamite Dan

Post by Dynamite Dan »

Really just recently just met this mod!!!
And I'm looking for some that will be useful for megawads like Back To Saturn, TNT Revilution, Znee Deep in Zdoom without breaking anything.

How would this work?
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Dwailing wrote:
heron wrote:So did it work even a little better for you with this version?
Much. Side note, I was still experiencing lag when playing with GZDoom 3.1.0, so I switched to 2.1.1 (which I had installed for another mod) and by god it was smooth as butter. Don't know if there was something changed in 3.1.0 vs. 2.1.1 or what, but it seemed to help. Your millage may vary, however; I haven't done any really thorough tests or anything.
OId Gzdoom builds have FMOD instead of the default OpenAL that has been implemented in the recent ones (this one seems to use more resources than FMOD), which is the main reason of the lag.
It plays Smoothly even in the Older 1.9.1.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

There's also the fact that between 2.1 and 3.1, a powerful scripting language (ZScript) was added (which required refactors IIRC), a new software renderer (the Poly renderer) was added, there were a few/several refactors, the software renderer was changed to use RGB666 for some things, the software renderer was modified to use floating-point instead of fixed-point, and quite a lot of other things.
You can't expect two releases with such a huge amount of time between them to behave the same and have the same performance.
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

I haven't played this mod for ages. I forgot how fun it can be. :)

I do have a couple of questions though (of course!):

Is there a way to make the game 'remember' that I've switched off voxels for the next reboot. As it stands, I have to go into the menu and switch them off every time I load the game up.

Also, is there some kind of mutator to switch off weapon reloading? I know there's one for BD but it doesn't work with JD...

BTW: I'm using GZDoom 3.2.0.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Is it me, or is the version that I use of Johnny Doom (the one from Mod DB marked as Brutal Doom J) seemingly having the enemies as dumber or not as responsive as in Brutal Doom standard? I feel like they are not as reactive or even try to be as aggressive as in Brutal Doom. Like I will go up to a chaingunner, he will just be walking around aimlessly and not even see me until after I shoot at it. Was any changes to the AI made in this mod?
Loku

Post by Loku »

I’m late to this mod but I've really enjoyed what I have played so far. Unfortunately, I ran into the previously mentioned performance bug where FPS would start off fine and then tank 15-20 minutes into a map even if all the blood and gore was removed/disabled. It looks like no one has posted a fix for this so I figured I would.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e5I5X ... FQK6jbba4Z

Just to be clear, this edit fixes a specific performance issue that was affecting even high-end machines and it removes the forced scaling on the hud.

It DOES NOT help with performance issues related to low-end hardware, newer GZDoom versions, rendering huge amounts of gore in a single area, etc.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Did you fix it by... removing headshots entirely? I can't seem to headshot any zombies and imps anymore.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Someone64 wrote:Did you fix it by... removing headshots entirely? I can't seem to headshot any zombies and imps anymore.
Interesting, I just tested it and it would seem to confirm this. Whilst there was the odd time when a death animation appears to show no head, there were definitely none of the head splatter deaths. Then I loaded up the old BDJ v20 for comparison and I was able to get plenty of head splatter deaths with the assault rifle.
Loku

Post by Loku »

It sounds like you two are comparing the latest version of JohnnyDoom (what I edited) to the older build that was posted by CasualScrub. In that case, the amount of damage you need to do to get the headshot splatter kill is higher in the latest version, so some weapons like the rifle won’t trigger that animation(you still technically get a headshot).

In case there is any confusion, the old build is fairly different from the latest version(no JPoints for example). I’ve been playing on the latest version and on that version I ran into some poor performance, hence the fix. I believe the older version doesn't share this problem, so if that’s the version you’ve been using and prefer there’s nothing to really see here.

As for what I did:

-Removed forcescaled in SBARINFO.

-Tweaked J Bar location in SBARINFO.

-Removed a never ending while loop from script 6311 in the jcommands module. This script had a growing number of instances that would never finish, and it would never be terminated because of the use of Delay().

The rest of the files have not been changed and are from the latest version of JohnnyDoom.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

No, I definitely am referring to the version that contains the Jpoints system. I remember the pistol being really nice since it's a pretty good head shooting weapon but now I can't headshot even simple zombiemen with it which confuses me. It IS possbile I just have bad memory, though.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Yep, mine was a comparison between Johnny Doom (new with JPoints) and BDJv20 (the older gameplay mod which doesn't have working JPoints). I wasn't aware that there was an adjustment made to the weapon damage, though, so this seems to explain it. I'm okay with this, though, as I can play both versions now. :)
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Loku wrote: As for what I did:

-Removed forcescaled in SBARINFO.

-Tweaked J Bar location in SBARINFO.

-Removed a never ending while loop from script 6311 in the jcommands module. This script had a growing number of instances that would never finish, and it would never be terminated because of the use of Delay().

The rest of the files have not been changed and are from the latest version of JohnnyDoom.
Wait, so you actually managed to fix that huge performance issue that has been tormenting this mod for like over a year now? :surprise:

Dude thank you so much! It means I can finally play this on larger maps that exceed 200 monsters. :wub:

How did you manage to track it down?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”