Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

Post by HexenMapper »

Pastebin with Map layout and credits:
https://pastebin.com/yxDTQaav

GET HUMP HERE:         (current version 1.666)
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... Ports/hump
-Runs in zdoom or GZDoom with the heretic.wad (registered version - shadow of the serpent riders)

Screenshots:

Original Post and Rules:
Spoiler:
HUMP mappers:
Spoiler:
Last edited by HexenMapper on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 43 times in total.
Mikk-

Re: Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [Community Project]

Post by Mikk- »

Okay this is definitely something I'm interested in. I'm all for more Heretic stuff!!
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Great! should be fun to try something different and with a somewhat limited palette of textures :)
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

It would be nice to see ZDoom features allowed though...that's what made DUMP stand out from the 1000 other community projects around.
(I'd still restrict it to vanilla graphics/monsters/weapons etc. though)
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:It would be nice to see ZDoom features allowed though...that's what made DUMP stand out from the 1000 other community projects around.
(I'd still restrict it to vanilla graphics/monsters/weapons etc. though)
I don't think we really need anything to make this stand out - just the fact that we will end up with a bunch of new heretic maps should be enough :)

I would like to keep it as vanilla as possible to allow people to focus on map design. Plus a lot of the zdoom features like polyobjects I would prefer to save for a Hexen project. We'll do Heretic first, and then Hexen some other time, as it takes a lot more planning (especially if we want to make a coherent hub or two), and can require ACS, polyobjects and a few other zdoom-esque specials

Also I would like to say I thought your Serpent: Resurrection was fantastic - I often think about the sound effects and city from the first few areas. Amazing stuff. Great to see the heretic door sounds and the hexen II message sounds in the same mod.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

And we begin. Good luck to everyone who has joined, we have 19 mappers at the moment (full list in the OP).
Look forward to seeing what you all come up with!

Feel free to post wads here or in the discord for playtesting and feedback
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

In my personal opinion, Heretic textures are rather limited. I would consider at the very least allowing Baker's Legacy, even if you allow no other custom textures whatsoever.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Rachael wrote:In my personal opinion, Heretic textures are rather limited. I would consider at the very least allowing Baker's Legacy, even if you allow no other custom textures whatsoever.
The textures are definitely limited compared to doom or hexen (no grass flat!), but that's part of the challenge - try to get creative with vanilla textures, weapons, enemies and line actions. If it's good enough for raven, it's good enough for us. Sometimes less options allow you to work more on gameplay and map design and I'm hoping using straight-up vanilla heretic (albeit limit-removing) will encourage that.

If there is a HUMP2, I would definitely add more textures and probably do full zdoom features and ACS. I am familiar with Baker's Legacy and usually keep an eye out for heretic/hexen textures and sprites. Baker's Legacy would likely be the one we include if we were to choose a single extra texture pack.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think Heretic's texture set is pretty limited and requires some very skilled mappers to produce good output. So I won't expect much from a project like this. Moreover, the limitations in visual design make Heretic levels look old very, very quickly.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

HexenMapper wrote:The textures are definitely limited compared to doom or hexen (no grass flat!), but that's part of the challenge - try to get creative with vanilla textures, weapons, enemies and line actions. If it's good enough for raven, it's good enough for us.
That may well be, but remember that game designers start with a lot more assets than they actually publish. This was true of id Software for Doom (some previously unreleased assets were later released), and you can be pretty sure it is true for Heretic, as well.

But - your project, your rules. :)
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I'm looking forward to this. I wish all the mappers luck in this project!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

As do I. :)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

The mappers will find creative ways of doing the maps regardless of the limitations (considering that this one will be at vanilla format)
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

leodoom85 wrote:The mappers will find creative ways of doing the maps regardless of the limitations (considering that this one will be at vanilla format)
They already have! some things never seen in original Heretic - and looking like a lot of fun. I won't spoil what they are, but people are definitely getting creative. The textures may be limited, but you can still get great contrasts and it forces you to focus more on design rather than relying on texture use. A good exercise in textural minimalism and more 'pure' gameplay design.
Graf Zahl wrote:I won't expect much from a project like this
Such a wellspring of positivity, glad to hear your ringing endorsement :D
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

HexenMapper wrote: Such a wellspring of positivity, glad to hear your ringing endorsement :D

It's a fact that due to its limited texture set Heretic is probably the hardest to map for of the Doom engine games. Give this to a skilled mapper and you may get good results (e.g. Chris Lutz has done some amazing work with the original texture set) But this requires quite some skill in detailing a level to make it look good. But where in Doom, Hexen or Strife you may get away with clever use of textures, that's nearly impossible with Heretic's garish looking stock set. I personally find the original levels mostly unpleasant to look at, especially the later episodes.

Return to “Levels”