Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Korell

Re: [v1.3] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Korell »

hoover1979 wrote: Thanks for the tip. :mrgreen:

I already downloaded a fixed ketchup, but I appreciate your willingness to assist. :D
I also think the issue with the imps frozen in mid death is to do with the blood and gibs pk3 as the blood only pk3 doesn't cause that issue, however the blood only pk3 seems to be perma-tuned to the lowest ammount setting, so when I set the blood ammount to 4 there is still only a tiny amount of blood. If I can find a way to get full blood levels on the blood only pk3 I will at least be able to get lots of blood without the imps, not instagibbed ending up as statues.
Yep, I can confirm this. The gibs version does cause imps to freeze in their death animation, which would likely be due to Ketchup trying to use it's customized gib sprites which don't fit with the Doom 64 Retribution monster sprites.

However, the splatters only version does work fine. Ensure that when you go into the Ketchup Options - GZDoom that the top-most option for the engine selection does in fact state GZDoom (you'd expect going into the Ketchup GZDoom options would have GZDoom set up as this option already but it defaults to Zandronum). Once that is set correctly then the blood amount works correctly.

EDIT: Checking the ini file, the splatters only version doesn't seem to edit the bd_bloodamount value. Instead it changes zdoombrutalblood. So isrunningzandronum=0 should be set and then zdoombrutalblood corresponds to the blood amount. zdoombrutalblood=2 is normal, zdoombrutalblood=4 is comical, and zdoombrutalblood=666 is overdrawn at the blood bank.
Voros

Post by Voros »

Sweet. 1.3 runs as an IWAD. Haven't run into any issues so far.

If later versions are also standalone, maybe GZDoom should officially recognise the WAD as an IWAD.

As for the device D-Touch is running, before it was on a ZTE Blade III, Android 4.0.4, beautiful touchscreen. Could play on UV, even Nightmare, easily. Now it's a Symphony Roar V20, Android 6.0, terrible. I'm lucky enough to get through ITYTD without losing 50% of my HP.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nevander wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:What precisely was the problem? And if you want to make sure, get a recent devbuild and check what happens there.
The Blursphere is set to have a Powerup.Mode of "Translucent". The reports I got said that the powerup didn't make you invisible and you were just as visible as before you took it. That's all that I know from the reports but like I said above I don't know the status of that bug.
Yes, that got fixed already.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

Korell wrote:
hoover1979 wrote: Thanks for the tip. :mrgreen:

I already downloaded a fixed ketchup, but I appreciate your willingness to assist. :D
I also think the issue with the imps frozen in mid death is to do with the blood and gibs pk3 as the blood only pk3 doesn't cause that issue, however the blood only pk3 seems to be perma-tuned to the lowest ammount setting, so when I set the blood ammount to 4 there is still only a tiny amount of blood. If I can find a way to get full blood levels on the blood only pk3 I will at least be able to get lots of blood without the imps, not instagibbed ending up as statues.
Yep, I can confirm this. The gibs version does cause imps to freeze in their death animation, which would likely be due to Ketchup trying to use it's customized gib sprites which don't fit with the Doom 64 Retribution monster sprites.

However, the splatters only version does work fine. Ensure that when you go into the Ketchup Options - GZDoom that the top-most option for the engine selection does in fact state GZDoom (you'd expect going into the Ketchup GZDoom options would have GZDoom set up as this option already but it defaults to Zandronum). Once that is set correctly then the blood amount works correctly.

EDIT: Checking the ini file, the splatters only version doesn't seem to edit the bd_bloodamount value. Instead it changes zdoombrutalblood. So isrunningzandronum=0 should be set and then zdoombrutalblood corresponds to the blood amount. zdoombrutalblood=2 is normal, zdoombrutalblood=4 is comical, and zdoombrutalblood=666 is overdrawn at the blood bank.
I followed your instructions in the edit, and the enemies still hardly bleed. I set "isrunningzandronum=0" and "zdoombrutalblood=666" However only I bleed like a stuck pig when shot. How do I make it so the enemies bleed like stuck pigs? I am lucky to get 3 drops of blood from a zombieman when I directly hit it with a rocket. On the gibs and blood pk3 all the enemies bleed like stuck pigs, but the imps death anim issue leaves weird statues if I don't instagib them. The same happens with Doom, Doom II and Final Doom (enemies hardly bleed with blood only pack, yet I bleed heavily on "overdrawn at blood bank"), so this issue isn't just in D64 Retribution.

I also have to set the options by editing the ini. No ketchup options have been added to the game options on my GZDoom, I can find no additional sections in the options ingame anywhere. I must be doing something wrong here.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Nevander wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:What precisely was the problem? And if you want to make sure, get a recent devbuild and check what happens there.
The Blursphere is set to have a Powerup.Mode of "Translucent". The reports I got said that the powerup didn't make you invisible and you were just as visible as before you took it. That's all that I know from the reports but like I said above I don't know the status of that bug.
Yes, that got fixed already.
On the 3.1 I had, I experienced that issue with not being invisible when picking up the powerup.
I can confirm on 3.2 (x64) that is now fixed. Thanks @Graf Zahl for that. :D
Korell

Post by Korell »

hoover1979 wrote:I also have to set the options by editing the ini. No ketchup options have been added to the game options on my GZDoom, I can find no additional sections in the options ingame anywhere. I must be doing something wrong here.
It's probably because you are on a 3.2 dev build as there was an update that means the base menus can't be edited any longer and mod makers should create their own menus to host their own options. This is why I've not yet moved onto a dev build as it will likely mean a number of mods I use will need fixing.
hoover1979 wrote:On the 3.1 I had, I experienced that issue with not being invisible when picking up the powerup.
I can confirm on 3.2 (x64) that is now fixed. Thanks @Graf Zahl for that. :D
Then you were on the original 3.1.0 release rather than the fixed 3.1.0a release that came out very quickly afterwards due to the transparency issue.
Voros

Post by Voros »

Is something wrong with In The Void's skybox? I just see this flat grey color along with black boxes appearing on and off (depending on the player's direction and location). Is this normal?
Korell

Post by Korell »

Voros wrote:Is something wrong with In The Void's skybox? I just see this flat grey color along with black boxes appearing on and off (depending on the player's direction and location). Is this normal?
There is no sky in In The Void, because it is in a void space. If you check out any YouTube videos you'll see that the various ports all have a blank skybox.

Doom 64: Retribution - a kind of blue skybox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykzR1-2x4is

Brutal Doom 64 - grey skybox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEKXiT5Jwl8

Doom 64 EX - a kind of blue skybox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1TE6Ky4H0

Original Doom 64 on N64 - blue skybox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJb_TSHIBVo

I'm not sure about the black boxes you mention though. Are they parts of the level in the distance maybe?
Korell

Post by Korell »

Ooh, could this be something to do with the sunken explosive barrels?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57558

I've not noticed it myself, though, so maybe it only happens if Doom 64 Retribution is used as an IWAD rather than a PWAD?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

My guess as to why gibs causes the Imp animation freeze and blood doesn't would be that blood only is probably only affecting the actual blood actor in order to spawn more blood since it's universal in the engine. Gibs need to be monster specific, so the animation is different in order to spawn said gibs.

Voros wrote:Is something wrong with In The Void's skybox? I just see this flat grey color along with black boxes appearing on and off (depending on the player's direction and location). Is this normal?
Are you using QZDoom or a software renderer by chance? That particular map will look very broken on non-hardware. The black boxes are probably due to me using a trick with hardware rendering which allows me to leave a wall untextured and have the sky show through. Normally you have to lower a sky sector down to meet the floor to show sky through. This trick is mandatory for some parts of that map, however the edges could be modified with this old school trick.

With that said, I have seen some black areas show through even for people running on hardware. I only saw it in YouTube videos and when I try to reproduce it in my version I can't. Could be one of those 2.2 bugs that actually looks normal... but I have no idea.

The level should at least look semi-normal on hardware for any GZDoom verison.

Korell wrote:Ooh, could this be something to do with the sunken explosive barrels?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57558

I've not noticed it myself, though, so maybe it only happens if Doom 64 Retribution is used as an IWAD rather than a PWAD?
Looks like it could be. When you run Retribution as an IWAD, GZDoom has to fall-back on a lot of things it doesn't have information for. A good example is the title of the mod/game in the startup window. GZDoom doesn't have information on Retribution so it doesn't show the right thing even though a GAMEINFO lump is present. Perhaps this causes weird things with sprites and offsets? However I don't think I saw it happen on 2.2.0 when I tested it as an IWAD.
Voros

Post by Voros »

It was on D-Touch mind you. Why not just do it the same approach as Hacx's map01?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Korell wrote:It's probably because you are on a 3.2 dev build as there was an update that means the base menus can't be edited any longer and mod makers should create their own menus to host their own options. This is why I've not yet moved onto a dev build as it will likely mean a number of mods I use will need fixing.
You are right. I switched to the 3.1.0a official release and the ketchup options are now there right at the top of the options menu.

I still get hardly any blood on enemies on the blood only, not only on D64 Retribution, but Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Heretic and Hexen. On the blood only pack it seems I am the only one that can really bleed, the enemies only shed a few drops (This is when set for GZDoom, and on "Overdrawn at Blood Bank with Janitor disabled). I don't know what's going wrong there, but life is never meant to be easy.

On a side note, I was just playing Heretic on "Thou art a smite-meister" difficulty (for more lambs to the slaughter), with Infinite Ammo and God Mode with the Blood and Gibs set to "Overdrawn at Blood Bank" and the Janitor disabled and had an absolute ball, using a Phoenix Rod that never depletes ammo for a gibbing frenzy! I just wish I could adjust the volume of the blood and gibs falling after splatting on the ceiling as it is obnoxiously loud, and as I have 5.1 surround sound (Sound Blaster Zx + Logitech Z906 THX 5.1 Speakers), I hear the over loud splish splash splat sounds from all directions, sometimes louder than the regular SFX and the music (although it is funny seeing my Dog go nuts over the splat sounds from all the different speakers). Other than that, It's fun to "Paint the town red!"

Next test is to see if I can play Doom, Doom II and Final Doom with these Ketchup settings and my 2K textures and see if the FPS doesn't tank on a GTX1080. I also need to determine if the Caco's splat blue and the Barons/Hell Knights splat green. Does GZDoom 3.1.0a have an option to display FPS for performance testing?

EDIT: The Caco's are splatting red still, even on the latest Ketchup. This means the Barons will splat red too. I am starting to think all those screenies with blue and green splats after killing Caco's and Barons are fakes. I have never been able to replicate this at home. :(
Korell

Post by Korell »

hoover1979 wrote:EDIT: The Caco's are splatting red still, even on the latest Ketchup. This means the Barons will splat red too. I am starting to think all those screenies with blue and green splats after killing Caco's and Barons are fakes. I have never been able to replicate this at home. :(
Yep, that's because Brutal Doom 20b only has red blood. However, Brutal Doom v21 is meant to have blue and green blood for Cacodemons and Barons/Knights, so if he releases the Ketchup v6 then that should have blue and green blood too. Brutal Doom v21 might be some time away yet.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Voros wrote:It was on D-Touch mind you. Why not just do it the same approach as Hacx's map01?
I'm unfamiliar with that map. What did they do? Just a guess but probably the old trick of lowering the sky down right? If so, I said above I can do that. But only for the outside edges of the map.
Voros

Post by Voros »

Well in-game, it seems more like you're inside a big black box, simulating nighttime. The sky can be seen if you idclip outside said box.

I wish I could actually look at the map in a editor like GZDB, but fuck, no PC anymore.

Edit: forgot to mention, but it would be nice if you used Offset for the Unmaker's "Modern" animation.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”