Closest Doom Port to Xbox?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
taylorm7cl

Closest Doom Port to Xbox?

Post by taylorm7cl »

Hi,

I've been looking for a Doom port for a while that is a combination of GZDoom and the Xbox version of Doom. I can set *some* options to be like Xbox but not play like it. I don't like the fade on the screen flashes and I don't like how messages stack and also fade in ZDoom. If there's a way to change this, let me know. Or, if there's a port that's basically Doom 2 for the Xbox with ZDoom's options, let me know that too. I've tried Chocolate Doom and it just doesn't have those options I need though it has closer GUS emulation.

Anyway, thanks!
Gez

Re: Closest Doom Port to Xbox?

Post by Gez »

Choco doesn't have closer GUS emulation AFAIK. It's ZDoom that has a TiMidity with specially modified code based on the GUS MIDI driver.

If you don't want to stack messages, set con_notifylines to 1. I'm not sure what you mean by fade on screen flashes, though.
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

What I mean by the fade, is whenever you collect an item, the message fades out instead of cutting out like classic Doom. Same goes for the screen flashes, the yellow or red cuts in and fades out instead of staying for a bit and then cutting out like classic Doom. That's what I meant by the fade. Thanks, though!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

So, what you'd want is a way for screen flashes to use the COLORMAP instead of ZDoom's automatically-generated fades. Sadly, I don't think ZDoom has a switch for that.
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

Pretty much, yes. Would there be a way to modify the source code to use colormap instead of identitymap? (I think that's what it's called.)
Gez

Post by Gez »

The vanilla behavior is to do a palette swap. ZDoom instead does a screenblend. Changing ZDoom back to use palette swap would be complicated -- not impossible, but definitely not trivial. And it would have the drawback of not working on non-paletted graphics (the reason why ZDoom changed it to a screenblend in the first place) so I don't see this getting back in, even as an option.

An option for making the screen flash transition more abrupt might be acceptable to the developers, however.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Gez wrote:An option for making the screen flash transition more abrupt might be acceptable to the developers, however.
That's what the "paletteflash" bitmask cvar is for - it's already in.

Setting it to -1 should enable full vanilla behavior across the board, but it still won't use the PLAYPAL entries, it emulates it.
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

Rachael wrote:
Gez wrote:An option for making the screen flash transition more abrupt might be acceptable to the developers, however.
That's what the "paletteflash" bitmask cvar is for - it's already in.

Setting it to -1 should enable full vanilla behavior across the board, but it still won't use the PLAYPAL entries, it generates its own.
So then what command would this be, cvar_bitmask?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

taylorm7cl wrote:So then what command would this be, cvar_bitmask?

Code: Select all

paletteflash -1
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

Rachael wrote:

Code: Select all

paletteflash -1
Just tried that and nothing different happens with screen flashes.
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

Also, three other things. Two likely may not work.

1. I use Timidity++ for GUS emulation, but the problem is, it doesn't loop. It has maybe a second of dead air until the song starts so it causes the issue of not looping. I could use GZDoom's GUS emulation, but the issue with the native GUS emulation is that stuff sounds "short." Open hihats do not go through the whole note they're played for before cutting out. Second thing I can think of is that the title screen for native GUS emulation in GZDook is that on the Doom 2 title music, the synth (I believe) has the same issue for the open hihats so it sounds very off and awkward but it does loop. The last thing about this, is that in the song Message For The Archvile, the Taiko drum is different from the Xbox version in sound, but when played in Chocolate Doom with the Timidity++ configuration I use for GZDoom, the Taiko drum is the correct one to the Xbox version. Not sure about the issue there. Anyway to fix the GUS so instruments aren't short?

2. This is about music again. Whenever you die, is there anyway to have a music track restart from the beginning whenever you restart?

3. This likely isn't going to have an option, but: is there anyway to make the melt transition slower to match the Xbox version?

Someone besides me may know, I only know some basic stuff when it comes to GZDoom commands and such.
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

Gez wrote:Choco doesn't have closer GUS emulation AFAIK. It's ZDoom that has a TiMidity with specially modified code based on the GUS MIDI driver.
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmMuH3KMsx4 [/youtube]

Here, this is a video showing what I mean for the Timidity++ and native GUS emulation problems I have. What I meant for closer emulation in Crispy Doom, is closer to Xbox emulation as far as instruments go. You'll see what I mean in the video.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Rachael wrote:That's what the "paletteflash" bitmask cvar is for - it's already in.
Pretty sure that one is just about which colors are used for blending, because I got more accurate values than what Randi eyeballed so long ago.
taylorm7cl wrote:Here, this is a video showing what I mean for the Timidity++ and native GUS emulation problems I have. What I meant for closer emulation in Crispy Doom, is closer to Xbox emulation as far as instruments go. You'll see what I mean in the video.
ZDoom used to have an option allowing to change back the GUS emulation to sound more like TiMidity, but that was taken out later with the reasoning that if people wanted TiMidity, they could use the TiMidity++ player.
taylorm7cl wrote:1. I use Timidity++ for GUS emulation, but the problem is, it doesn't loop. It has maybe a second of dead air until the song starts so it causes the issue of not looping. I could use GZDoom's GUS emulation, but the issue with the native GUS emulation is that stuff sounds "short." Open hihats do not go through the whole note they're played for before cutting out. Second thing I can think of is that the title screen for native GUS emulation in GZDook is that on the Doom 2 title music, the synth (I believe) has the same issue for the open hihats so it sounds very off and awkward but it does loop. The last thing about this, is that in the song Message For The Archvile, the Taiko drum is different from the Xbox version in sound, but when played in Chocolate Doom with the Timidity++ configuration I use for GZDoom, the Taiko drum is the correct one to the Xbox version. Not sure about the issue there. Anyway to fix the GUS so instruments aren't short?
Are you using the Xbox patches?

For your other questions: restarting music when you restart the game is possible if you make a small mod for that, but not as an option. I suppose the simplest would be to use an ENTER script in an autoloaded library that plays "" for music (an empty string) to stop music playback, and then immediately plays "*" to get it start playing the level's default music. That would cause it to restart. As for slowing down the melt effect, no, that's definitely not configurable nor moddable.
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

Gez wrote:
taylorm7cl wrote:1. I use Timidity++ for GUS emulation, but the problem is, it doesn't loop. It has maybe a second of dead air until the song starts so it causes the issue of not looping. I could use GZDoom's GUS emulation, but the issue with the native GUS emulation is that stuff sounds "short." Open hihats do not go through the whole note they're played for before cutting out. Second thing I can think of is that the title screen for native GUS emulation in GZDook is that on the Doom 2 title music, the synth (I believe) has the same issue for the open hihats so it sounds very off and awkward but it does loop. The last thing about this, is that in the song Message For The Archvile, the Taiko drum is different from the Xbox version in sound, but when played in Chocolate Doom with the Timidity++ configuration I use for GZDoom, the Taiko drum is the correct one to the Xbox version. Not sure about the issue there. Anyway to fix the GUS so instruments aren't short?
Are you using the Xbox patches?
Yes, the GUS emulation's configuration file points to the one that Crispy Doom used in the video. So yes, I do use the Xbox patches. I primarily use Timidity++ as I've said before and the Timidity++ option uses a Timidity++ executable. I use the default executable for Doom 2, I think it's somewhere in the forums still. I am under the assumption that the executable uses the GUS patches in my C drive (C:\gravis\ultrasnd\midi\) which I believe I've set those to be the Xbox patches. I'm not sure how I can set the executable's default configuration file since it isn't GUI based.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Gez wrote:
Rachael wrote:That's what the "paletteflash" bitmask cvar is for - it's already in.
Pretty sure that one is just about which colors are used for blending, because I got more accurate values than what Randi eyeballed so long ago.
That CVAR is only for 3 effects from Hexen and one from Strife. The Hexen ones because ZDoom's colors were not correct and the Strife delayed damage effect to optionally use the nicer gradual one that came from GZDoom.

Regarding the original colormaps for screen blends, no, they won't come back. There's several reasons for it:

1. They do not work with hardware rendering. Even PrBoom's GL renderer has to do it with a screenblend ignoring the palettes in here.
2. They are locked to a single screenblend color per effect. ZDoom allows custom screenblend colors per powerup item.
3. Unlike vanilla, ZDoom allows to stack different screenblend colors - this simply cannot work if they just swap out the palette for another pregenerated one.

Return to “General”