Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [v1.3] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by hoover1979 »

what version of GZdoom do you use. If it differs from mine I can install that and test it. This is really weird with the barrels and fireballs. It does seem like I am the only one with this issue.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I am using GZDoom 2.2.0 32-bit for development, testing and playing.

It wouldn't surprise me if something got borked again in latest GZDoom. In the first 3.1.0 release I think the Blursphere was totally broken and did nothing even though I used a perfectly legitimate way to do the translucency, something built right into DECORATE.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You really should stop using an old version as your test platform. If you accidentally exploit a bug in that version, your mod will be forever broken and nothing be done about it in the engine.

And regarding the BlurSphere: Where's the bug report outlining your problem?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Graf Zahl wrote:You really should stop using an old version as your test platform. If you accidentally exploit a bug in that version, your mod will be forever broken and nothing be done about it in the engine.

And regarding the BlurSphere: Where's the bug report outlining your problem?
Well what are some exploitable bugs from that version? I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything like that since I am following basic map design methods and not using any fancy hackery to do them. Everything I use should be very standard. If something breaks, well... not trying to be rude but it's not my fault. People should use the GZDoom version it was designed and tested on and found to work if they run into problems, or if it's fixable on my end I can fix it for those versions and maintain compatibility with the one I decide to use at the same time.

I assumed the Blursphere thing was already fixed since I've seen it happen to others weeks and weeks ago. I wouldn't know for sure though because as I said just above I don't use the latest GZDoom versions. In fact, I've only ever updated my versions maybe 2 times in my life so far. First used 1.8.6, then 2.2.0. Honestly I only ever updated because mods I wanted to play didn't work because they used new features.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I DISCOVERED AND SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!! :mrgreen: :D

I was running the mod through a batch file. If I drag the ketchup PK3 and the D64 Retribution WAD on the GZDoom.exe I get the barrels working. I will do some playing through but I bet the issue with the barions firing green plasma would probably be solved too.

I will need to try to work out antother way to get a shortcut going as I have all my games shortcuts in various folders in a games folder on my desktop for ease of use. but at least I found the problem, solved it and am sharing the solution.

I am using 3.2 x64 now as my GZDoom.

I never give up, and this time it payed off! :D
Thanks for putting up with me guys. I really appreciate your patience! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I rebuilt the batch file. It was looking for d64retrubution as the iwad. I think that is where things went haywire. I removed the -iwad before the d64 wad and the batch file is working fine now.

EDIT 2: Here's something weird. when I had the mod not loaded properly and had the barrel and baron's pllasma glitches, I never had the afformentioned glitch with Ketchup of imps freezing in mid death anim. now that the mod is loaded properly the imps are in mod death statues inless I hit them good and proper dead on with a rocket or FBG blast. This is interesting, and may even be a place to go for a potential cause diagnosis of fix to the mid death statues? :idea:

It turns out I didn't have ketchup v5 installed (God knows what version I have installed). However when I tried to install v5 the game wouldn't work. instead I got:

Execution Could not continue.

Script error, "ketchupv5.pk3:decorate.blood.txt" line 545:
Expected ",", got 'I".

If I can find a way around this (doubtful) the v5 has a splatter only without gib for custom sprites that may evade the frozen death anim statue issue with imps, at the cost of gibs. I'll let you know if I make any headway on this.

EDIT 2A: It looks like a problem with the v5 mod and later gzdoom. I am downloading a slow (16Kbps on 100Mbps connection :shock: ) download from a redit post from someone called "shootmobile" that claims to have fixed the ketchup v5 mod for later GZDoom builds. This will take another half an hour as he/she also bundled a version of Brutal Doom with it making the download 31.8Mb Hopefully this is not misinformation (I will scan before opening) and hopefully the modified splatter only one works with the D64 imps.
Last edited by hoover1979 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Yea you can run Retribution as an IWAD but you may get unpredictable results. I should mention that in the readme.

The mid death animation freezing on the Imp though, I've heard of someone else having it but I cannot reproduce it. The only thing I can think of is that Ketchup mod recodes the Imp and doesn't take into account that the Doom 64 Imp death animation is actually longer by 2 or so frames. The normal Doom 2 Imp Death state will cause the Imp to freeze mid-death. Running without Ketchup shouldn't cause it, and blowing them up doesn't cause it since XDeath is a different state. The Nightmare Imps animation is probably unaffected.

I should probably put in a disclaimer somewhere that running with other mods may cause problems since those mods most likely were meant to be ran with the standard Doom actors.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Nevander wrote:Yea you can run Retribution as an IWAD but you may get unpredictable results.

The mid death animation freezing on the Imp though, I've heard of someone else having it but I cannot reproduce it. The only thing I can think of is that Ketchup mod recodes the Imp and doesn't take into account that the Doom 64 Imp death animation is actually longer by 2 or so frames. The normal Doom 2 Imp Death state will cause the Imp to freeze mid-death. Running without Ketchup shouldn't cause it, and blowing them up doesn't cause it since XDeath is a different state. The Nightmare Imps animation is probably unaffected.

I should probably put in a disclaimer omswhere that running with other mods may cause problems since those mods most likely were meant to be ran with the standard Doom actors.
The issue is only happening with Ketchup. I hope if I can get the later version with the blood but no gibs version working the imp glitch can go away without sacrificing the blood I have become so accustomed to in GZDoom. I'm just glad I found the other problem and fixed it. If I can fix this too I will be ecstatic!

Now we know why the barrels were so funky for me means you don't need to look at the barrels now. This means I am not wasting your time.
Last edited by hoover1979 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

If it's still broke it would probably be easy enough to fix and make a version of Ketchup specifically for Retribution.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nevander wrote: Well what are some exploitable bugs from that version?
I haven't kept track. But keep in mind that 2.2 was the first official release with a floating point play engine, and several bugs were fixed between 2.2 and 2.3

Nevander wrote: I assumed the Blursphere thing was already fixed since I've seen it happen to others weeks and weeks ago. I wouldn't know for sure though because as I said just above I don't use the latest GZDoom versions. In fact, I've only ever updated my versions maybe 2 times in my life so far. First used 1.8.6, then 2.2.0. Honestly I only ever updated because mods I wanted to play didn't work because they used new features.
What precisely was the problem? And if you want to make sure, get a recent devbuild and check what happens there.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Graf Zahl wrote:What precisely was the problem? And if you want to make sure, get a recent devbuild and check what happens there.
The Blursphere is set to have a Powerup.Mode of "Translucent". The reports I got said that the powerup didn't make you invisible and you were just as visible as before you took it. That's all that I know from the reports but like I said above I don't know the status of that bug.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

That slow download is dropping to 0Bps and failing! I need another approach. :x

EDIT: I finally got the modified v5 ketchup packs fixed for Gzdoom 3 (After 4 failed attempts). The mods run without a script error crash and there are some differences. (I am now using the blood and gibs on all main Doom games, including the ones with my WIP UltraHD Texture Pack now, even if the blood drips from the ceiling are obnoxiously loud).

Here is what happens:

The blood and gibs of course has the frozen half dead imp statues if the imps aren't instagibbed, the gore is better but the dripping from the ceiling is abnoxiously loud. There are CVARS to control the ammount of blood, and I choose 4 which I would call "Make the Janitor cry!"

The Blood only one leaves only a small ammount of blood. The CVARS are there but 4 has no different effect than 1 and it is only a small amount of extra blood over no ketchup mod at all. However the imps die properly with this one enabled. If I could get more blood I would have had this issue fixed, so half way there. I don't know why the blood only PK3 has only a small ammount of blood and no way to crank it up.

I think the gibbing part of the Ketchup mod is what caused the imp death glitch. At least we're getting somewhere. :mrgreen:

I'll probably just deal with the imp statues for now, as I love buckets of blood in my video games. :lol:
Voros

Post by Voros »

It always crashes on D-Touch's 1.8.6, when running it as an IWAD. Specifically, it crashes at

Code: Select all

V_Init: allocate screen
Although this is v1.0, so I'm not sure if changes in the latest version fixes it.

In other news I saw this on ModDB and was wondering if it would worth be adding into Retribution as a toggle-able option.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Voros wrote:It always crashes on D-Touch's 1.8.6, when running it as an IWAD. Specifically, it crashes at

Code: Select all

V_Init: allocate screen
Although this is v1.0, so I'm not sure if changes in the latest version fixes it.

In other news I saw this on ModDB and was wondering if it would worth be adding into Retribution as a toggle-able option.
D-Touch always crashed for me on all Doom games, mods or no mods on my SHIELD Tablet in GZDoom mode, since I first bought it. I also had the same crashes on my Shield Portable after going from Jellybean to Kitkat OS and D-Touch is an insta-crach on all engine modes on both my SHIELD Tablet and Portable after Marshmallow update. and my phone is too crappy to run D-Touch on (cheap $20 crapola phone with non-responsive touchscreen that takes half an hour to turn on and poor battery) :(

Oh I miss the days when I could be out and about and be able to bust out my SHIELD Portable and kick some demon ass! :(

What device do you have D-Touch on?
Korell

Post by Korell »

hoover1979 wrote:I rebuilt the batch file. It was looking for d64retrubution as the iwad. I think that is where things went haywire. I removed the -iwad before the d64 wad and the batch file is working fine now.

It turns out I didn't have ketchup v5 installed (God knows what version I have installed). However when I tried to install v5 the game wouldn't work. instead I got:

Expected ",", got 'I".

If I can find a way around this (doubtful) the v5 has a splatter only without gib for custom sprites that may evade the frozen death anim statue issue with imps, at the cost of gibs. I'll let you know if I make any headway on this.

EDIT 2A: It looks like a problem with the v5 mod and later gzdoom.
Yep, I use batch files to launch GZDoom for the games and any mods I want to use. For Doom 64 Retribution the command I use looks like:

START gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file D64RTR[v1.3].WAD ketchupV5.pk3 -config d64ret.ini -savedir d64ret

As for the Ketchup v5 issue, this is a well known issue that affects Brutal Doom v20b and the Ketchup v5 mod. It is simply two lines of code within blood.txt inside the pk3 file where a letter l is used instead of a number 1. It is very easily fixed, simply open the pk3 using a zip program (WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc.) and find the blood.txt file. Go to the line as per the error message (line 545 as per your error above) and replace the l with a 1. The second instance is a few lines further down but if you can't find it just save the file and re-run it to get the error again but with the line number of the second instance. Once you've fixed both of these lines then Ketchup v5 will work fine.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Korell wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:I rebuilt the batch file. It was looking for d64retrubution as the iwad. I think that is where things went haywire. I removed the -iwad before the d64 wad and the batch file is working fine now.

Expected ",", got 'I".

EDIT 2A: It looks like a problem with the v5 mod and later gzdoom.
Yep, I use batch files to launch GZDoom for the games and any mods I want to use. For Doom 64 Retribution the command I use looks like:

START gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file D64RTR[v1.3].WAD ketchupV5.pk3 -config d64ret.ini -savedir d64ret

As for the Ketchup v5 issue, this is a well known issue that affects Brutal Doom v20b and the Ketchup v5 mod. It is simply two lines of code within blood.txt inside the pk3 file where a letter l is used instead of a number 1. It is very easily fixed, simply open the pk3 using a zip program (WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc.) and find the blood.txt file. Go to the line as per the error message (line 545 as per your error above) and replace the l with a 1. The second instance is a few lines further down but if you can't find it just save the file and re-run it to get the error again but with the line number of the second instance. Once you've fixed both of these lines then Ketchup v5 will work fine.
Thanks for the tip. :mrgreen:

I already downloaded a fixed ketchup, but I appreciate your willingness to assist. :D
I also think the issue with the imps frozen in mid death is to do with the blood and gibs pk3 as the blood only pk3 doesn't cause that issue, however the blood only pk3 seems to be perma-tuned to the lowest ammount setting, so when I set the blood ammount to 4 there is still only a tiny amount of blood. If I can find a way to get full blood levels on the blood only pk3 I will at least be able to get lots of blood without the imps, not instagibbed ending up as statues.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”