Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Voros

Re: [v1.3] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Voros »

Why include new enemies? Especially ones from Classic Doom? Proper Doom 64 sprites are pretty rare to find.

Think bigger. Get creative. Bring something new to table.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I am thinking bigger and getting creative, the problem is to do that and to actually bring anything new to the table I actually do need new sprites and graphics but I'm not a sprite artist and my request thread is dead. I don't have Photoshop and my graphic editing skills are limited to MS Paint touch-ups. So... what am I to do? It's like being a museum curator with nothing in the museum to curate.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Finally got around to playing this and I have to say I really enjoy it. <3 This is probably going to sound like sacrilege to some folks but I actually prefer this over Doom 64 EX (I've never been comfortable with having to download the ROM and run it through a program in order to play Doom 64 EX).

I patiently look forward to the Retribution episode as well as the porting of the Outcast and Absolution-exclusive levels. Keep up the awesome work Nevander. :3
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

I just downloaded this port today, and I really like it. :mrgreen:

The only issue I found so far is the exploding barrels are sunk into the ground (on GZDoom 3.1 x64). Apart from that this is solid and I'm having an absolute ball with the ketchup mod thrown in and 4xBRZ filtering across the board. :D

After I finish my current project, I would be very keen to contribute to this project with a full set of UltraHD Textures and Brightmaps. My current project is still a ways from completion and working on 2 huge projects simultaneously would be overwhelming, so I'd need to get my first project completed beforehand, but this is very promising and I would love to help, when I am able to. :mrgreen:
Korell

Post by Korell »

hoover1979 wrote:I just downloaded this port today, and I really like it. :mrgreen:

The only issue I found so far is the exploding barrels are sunk into the ground (on GZDoom 3.1 x64).
That's odd, I'm using 3.1 x64 and the exploding barrels look fine. You could try changing your sprite clipping settings, but for me the barrels didn't change height regardless of what sprite clipping setting I was using. Do you have screenshots of the sunken barrels so that we can compare them to what we see?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

hoover1979 wrote:I just downloaded this port today, and I really like it. :mrgreen:

The only issue I found so far is the exploding barrels are sunk into the ground (on GZDoom 3.1 x64). Apart from that this is solid and I'm having an absolute ball with the ketchup mod thrown in and 4xBRZ filtering across the board. :D
Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it. As far as the barrels, I am not sure what could be causing that. I did however fix an issue with them for 1.4. Basically when the barrel explodes, you are able to walk onto like a 8 unit tall "area" where the barrel is exploding until it disappears. I had to add the +SOLID flag and then call A_NoBlocking to fully remove this issue. Perhaps them sinking into the floor could be some weird side effect. Regardless, I hope and expect that any bugs you are seeing in 1.3 will be gone for 1.4, and then any you see in 1.4 will be gone for 1.5... and so on.
hoover1979 wrote: After I finish my current project, I would be very keen to contribute to this project with a full set of UltraHD Textures and Brightmaps. My current project is still a ways from completion and working on 2 huge projects simultaneously would be overwhelming, so I'd need to get my first project completed beforehand, but this is very promising and I would love to help, when I am able to. :mrgreen:
Awesome! I was just thinking the other day how nobody has done an actual HD texture pack for Doom 64's textures. I would love to see my port with some HD texture action like with classic Doom. For my port, it would be best to replace the patches with HD versions rather than the actual textures. Many of the textures in Doom 64 re-use patches extensively for the flipped and rotated versions, so replacing the patches would also replace all the textures. Well, I say the word patches but in actuality they are all just placed into TX_ markers. So they are all textures already. That should make replacement easy.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Excellent! I will contact you when I am ready and request an archive with all the low def materials with the correct names, that way I can make 2k versions and name them correctly for your port to instantly accept them, via a .PK3 file. I think I am between 25-33% on my current project and keep getting better as I teach myself as I go along. By the time I finish this pack I am confident the Doom64 project would be top quality. :mrgreen:

Even though it took 14 months to get where I am, that doesn't mean it will take 2+ years to finish the project. I have had issues with back pain, and my PC is in my loungeroom, so leaning over a coffee table from a sofa is slowing me down, by stuffing up my back. I have a recliner chair and overlay table lined up, thanks to my Occupational Therapist and when they arrive I can put in many more hours of retexturing and get the rest of the pack done in less time than the first part, with less time taken off because of debilitating pain. The future is looking brighter for my current project, and future projects. Your port is great and more than worthy as a second project. I look forward to the future. :mrgreen:

http://hoover1979.deviantart.com/galler ... xture-work
If you look at the textures on the last page (the older ones) and compare it with the textures on the first few pages, you will see that I am improving faster than I ever imagined. I hope I can make a real good Doom64 pack afterwards for your project. :mrgreen:

EDIT: As your port is for GZDoom I will also work on a brightmap pack for your port after the textures for all the lights to stay lit in dark rooms. :D

EDIT 2: The Doom64 pack wouldn't take as long as the Doom texture pack as my current project encompases Doom, Doom II and Both installments of Final Doom. 4 games in one for my first project has some friends questioning my sanity. :lol:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Korell wrote:

The only issue I found so far is the exploding barrels are sunk into the ground (on GZDoom 3.1 x64).
That's odd, I'm using 3.1 x64 and the exploding barrels look fine. You could try changing your sprite clipping settings, but for me the barrels didn't change height regardless of what sprite clipping setting I was using. Do you have screenshots of the sunken barrels so that we can compare them to what we see?
I tried the sprite clipping settings and that didn't change much at all since half the barrels were underground. I will get some screenies out and upload them larer tonight when I get home from work.

EDIT: Here are 2 screenies showing the Sunken Barrel Glitch. I hope this can be helpful in isolating the glitch. This is the only glitch I have noticed so far and as I said earlier the rest is solid, and I am able to overlook this glitch because the rest is so damn well done! :mrgreen:

http://orig00.deviantart.net/d39f/f/201 ... bjnjwq.png
http://orig06.deviantart.net/3cdb/f/201 ... bjnk83.png
Last edited by hoover1979 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

hoover1979 wrote:Excellent! I will contact you when I am ready and request an archive with all the low def materials with the correct names, that way I can make 2k versions and name them correctly for your port to instantly accept them, via a .PK3 file. I think I am between 25-33% on my current project and keep getting better as I teach myself as I go along. By the time I finish this pack I am confident the Doom64 project would be top quality. :mrgreen:

Even though it took 14 months to get where I am, that doesn't mean it will take 2+ years to finish the project. I have had issues with back pain, and my PC is in my loungeroom, so leaning over a coffee table from a sofa is slowing me down, by stuffing up my back. I have a recliner chair and overlay table lined up, thanks to my Occupational Therapist and when they arrive I can put in many more hours of retexturing and get the rest of the pack done in less time than the first part, with less time taken off because of debilitating pain. The future is looking brighter for my current project, and future projects. Your port is great and more than worthy as a second project. I look forward to the future. :mrgreen:
Sounds great. I am currently trying to clean up the textures to reduce unnecessary textures or ones that don't fit in. Do note some textures in Doom 64 are actually identical, but were copied so they could be used on walls or flats. Since I am using GZDoom and UDMF, I can use a texture on any surface. However, I didn't bother to remove the duplicates since I ported the maps directly from the source, which means the maps already had all the textures assigned with the correct names. Fortunately thanks to the modability of GZDoom, you can just assign two different texture names to the same actual lump name.

I hope it gets more comfortable for you to work. I too know the throes of back pain. My back is pretty fucked up from years of playing console games sitting on my floor. Doesn't help I still hunch at my desktop. It hurts if I stand in a particular way for too long and I end up just going back to hunching again to relieve it. Why must our bodies be so frail? :x
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Nevander wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:Excellent! I will contact you when I am ready and request an archive with all the low def materials with the correct names, that way I can make 2k versions and name them correctly for your port to instantly accept them, via a .PK3 file. I think I am between 25-33% on my current project and keep getting better as I teach myself as I go along. By the time I finish this pack I am confident the Doom64 project would be top quality. :mrgreen:

Sounds great. I am currently trying to clean up the textures to reduce unnecessary textures or ones that don't fit in. Do note some textures in Doom 64 are actually identical, but were copied so they could be used on walls or flats. Since I am using GZDoom and UDMF, I can use a texture on any surface. However, I didn't bother to remove the duplicates since I ported the maps directly from the source, which means the maps already had all the textures assigned with the correct names. Fortunately thanks to the modability of GZDoom, you can just assign two different texture names to the same actual lump name.

I hope it gets more comfortable for you to work. I too know the throes of back pain. My back is pretty fucked up from years of playing console games sitting on my floor. Doesn't help I still hunch at my desktop. It hurts if I stand in a particular way for too long and I end up just going back to hunching again to relieve it. Why must our bodies be so frail? :x
I got my back issues from being stupid and going on a road trip with a group of idiots, in a Mini Van in 1996. I got tired and took the seatbelt off to lie down and sleep on the far back seat (a stupid move if ever there was) and the pinhead driver wanted to see how fast he could get that van to go on a dirt road. The Van lost traction and went into a ditch at an obscene 180Kmph and my wake up call was being catapoulted as a human missile and being doubled over backwards on the fromt-rear seat, breaking 3 vertebrae and fracruring my skull/bruising my brain. The doctors couldn't believe I survived, yet alone wasn't confined to a wheelchair but I will spend the rest of my life in pain. but I learned my lesson from getting into vehicles with idiots. :cry: However my will is stonger than my body and I will never let this beat me. I will continue to do my digital art and hope to get back to my portrait painting some day. Only at the moment one doubts themself, will they fail. :wink:

EDIT: Big typo was fixed I accidentally said spent life in wheelchair and meant spent life in pain. Never post when exhausted and on pain meds, it never looks good *facepalm

I also added screenshots of the barrel issue in a previous post so you can see what it looks like. hopefully this can be of help to you. :mrgreen:
Korell

Post by Korell »

hoover1979 wrote:I also added screenshots of the barrel issue in a previous post so you can see what it looks like. hopefully this can be of help to you. :mrgreen:
Those screenshots certainly do show an odd issue. I've tried to replicate the issue but can't. I'm on GZDoom 3.1.0 x64 (the fixed release, technically 3.1.0a, though it still shows as 3.1.0 in the config files and console), and I've loaded Doom 64 Retribution v1.3, using no Ketchup mod, Ketchup v4 and Ketchup v5 (fixed for the blood.txt error), and the barrels always look fine (screenshot link below), and they never move up or down if I change the sprite clipping setting. I've no idea why you are getting them sunken halfway into the floor.

https://qmiosw.bn1303.livefilestore.com ... png?psid=1
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

They are fine for me too, although I use 2.2.0 to develop and test with still. No idea what could cause them to sink that far down. Normally something like that would be caused by the offsets of the actual sprites being wrong. Only thing I can suggest is to start over with a fresh INI and no mods loaded and see if they are still sinking.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Korell wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:I also added screenshots of the barrel issue in a previous post so you can see what it looks like. hopefully this can be of help to you. :mrgreen:
Those screenshots certainly do show an odd issue. I've tried to replicate the issue but can't. I'm on GZDoom 3.1.0 x64 (the fixed release, technically 3.1.0a, though it still shows as 3.1.0 in the config files and console), and I've loaded Doom 64 Retribution v1.3, using no Ketchup mod, Ketchup v4 and Ketchup v5 (fixed for the blood.txt error), and the barrels always look fine (screenshot link below), and they never move up or down if I change the sprite clipping setting. I've no idea why you are getting them sunken halfway into the floor.

https://qmiosw.bn1303.livefilestore.com ... png?psid=1
I use Ketchup v5. And for me the barrels also don't budge when I toy with the sprite clipping.

but hey, it is'nt the first time I am the only one with a glitch. I have had issues that broke some games and found out nobody else had them anywhere. :lol:
Last edited by hoover1979 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Nevander wrote:They are fine for me too, although I use 2.2.0 to develop and test with still. No idea what could cause them to sink that far down. Normally something like that would be caused by the offsets of the actual sprites being wrong. Only thing I can suggest is to start over with a fresh INI and no mods loaded and see if they are still sinking.
I'll give that a go. I'll make backups of my INI files so if this sin't a solution I don't lose my settings and i will make a duplicate .BAT file with no ketchup loaded. I'll update when I get to it and let you know how it went. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I made a new install of GZDoom (3.2 x64 this time) and installed Doom64 retribution and let it generate it's own config. set up the fluidsynth for the music to play ingame, and ran it without any mods (ketchup mod isn't even in the new install's folder). I still have the barrels half way underground.

I wonder if it is an issue with my hardware/driver/etc, since nobody else so far is reporting this issue.

The main things about my rig that pertain to game performance are:
I run Windows 7 (x64)
I have a liquid cooled i7-4790k @4.4Ghz (Corsair H115i)
32Gb of Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX1080 (Waterforce)
XMP is enabled in my Z97-k's BIOS

EDIT 2: No biggie here, but I also noticed both the Hell Knight and the Baron of Hell throw green plasma. I think the Hell Knight is meant to throw red plasma. Is this a limitation with GZDoom (as in the PC Doom both Hell Knights and Barons throw Green Plasma)?

I am still having a blast on this port! :mrgreen:
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Now I'm really confused. The Baron of Hell (I think you meant Baron) is indeed supposed to throw red fireballs and he does for me. There has to be something weird going on because for me, the barrels are fine and the Barons throw red fireballs like they should.

Only other thing I could think of is to try re-downloading the mod from ModDB.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”