Testcolor and testfade don't do anything

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Testcolor and testfade don't do anything

Post by Jimmy »

The recent renderer overhauls seem to have knocked these console commands into disuse.

Fire up any old game/mod/map, whathaveyou, bring down the console, type "test[color/fade] red" or "test[color/fade] "ff 00 00"" and you'll get no results.

Can't say for certain when this was introduced but this is present in both QZDoom (1.4.0) and GZDoom (3.0.0) - I would guess it's been this way for awhile.
dpJudas

Re: Testcolor and testfade don't do anything

Post by dpJudas »

Did those work only in the software renderer or also in GL renderer?
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'm pretty sure they used to work in GL.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Yes, they did.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I fixed this in the software renderer. However, due to the way colormaps were moved to be handled internally by the software renderer, I'm not sure how to do an easy fix in the GL renderer. Essentially the CCMDs are changing internal variables that the GL renderer no longer depends upon.
SPZ1

Post by SPZ1 »

I suppose that I will use an older version to mod with until it is fixed :(
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This was a classic case of a gross hack that was convenient but depended on an implementation that ultimately blocked certain editing features - the refactor was done to allow defining per-sector colors for walls, flats and sprites and handle them in the software renderer. The old colormap feature constantly stood in the way of making lighting more flexible and the test CCMDs depended on some idiosyncrasies of how the engine stored colors as colormaps, not as RGB values.

Of course this can be added to the GL renderer again, but it involves adding a check for each single element that gets rendered and, while not really expensive, would add some overhead only to suppoer a rarely used test feature - if you do it once it won't be an issue, but imagine 10 of such features starting to pile up.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Putting on hold because I really do not want to litter the core rendering functions with this baggage.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”