[Fixed] Two very odd effects

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Two very odd effects

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just experiences two strange effects while playing Astrostein 3 Map11 (the second level):

1. In one part of the map sounds cannot be heard correctly. Especially the sound of 2 doors (at -18176, -2048 and -18176, -2432 occured totally randomly depending on where I was standing.

2. When shooting with a hitscan weapon in some hallways the puffs indicating hitting a wall occured in mid-air.

This map has very odd coordinates. The minimum x-coordinate is -19800, the maximum is -4900. So my guess is that both problems are related to fixed point overflows.

I think I found at least one of them. The following code calculating the sector's soundorg is not able to handle such extreme coordinates:

Code: Select all

sector->soundorg[0] = (bbox.Right()+bbox.Left())/2;
		sector->soundorg[1] = (bbox.Top()+bbox.Bottom())/2;
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Another problem of the same kind: On Map16 of Operation Arctic Wolf go to the far right of the map. When you go beyond x-coordinate 26500 the automap disappears or shows only garbage.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Graf Zahl wrote:Another problem of the same kind: On Map16 of Operation Arctic Wolf go to the far right of the map. When you go beyond x-coordinate 26500 the automap disappears or shows only garbage.
I get that with some maps, too (usually happens when I zoom right out). It's probably down to the amount of grid used in the x or y direction, as it's maps with a huge distance between the furthest 2 points that I've seen this on.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Another problem of the same kind: On Map16 of Operation Arctic Wolf go to the far right of the map. When you go beyond x-coordinate 26500 the automap disappears or shows only garbage.
I get that with some maps, too (usually happens when I zoom right out). It's probably down to the amount of grid used in the x or y direction, as it's maps with a huge distance between the furthest 2 points that I've seen this on.

I did a little checking myself. It seems that the coordinate at the right edge of the screen goes beyond 32768. This causes some variables to overflow and as a result the range to be displayed is incorrect. It also occurs in PrBoom 2.2.4 and I'd guess in vanilla Doom. They simply never imagined maps that go so close to the edge of the coordinate range.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I'm certain some people have done that intentionally to disable the map.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I doubt it. The closer you get to 32768 the more problems of any kind show up, not just in the automap. I have never seen a map that's doing it and it is pointless anyway. You can always scroll the map to a coordinate range that it becomes visible again.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Evil Mittens wrote:I'm certain some people have done that intentionally to disable the map.
Actually, yes they have! Look at Ghostbusters DoomII's Map01 and 1337.wad's map07. They use this effect to disable the map, which is kind of annoying, don't ya think?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Xaser wrote:
Evil Mittens wrote:I'm certain some people have done that intentionally to disable the map.
Actually, yes they have! Look at Ghostbusters DoomII's Map01 and 1337.wad's map07. They use this effect to disable the map, which is kind of annoying, don't ya think?
It's not annoying, it's [censored word]. After all there is a line flag 'don't show on map'. Intentionally disabling the automap completely to break IDDT is just dumb. I wonder what other ugly side effects these guys were abusing.
Graf Zahl

Re: Two very odd effects

Post by Graf Zahl »

Graf Zahl wrote:
2. When shooting with a hitscan weapon in some hallways the puffs indicating hitting a wall occured in mid-air.

Ok, this one was a bug in the WAD not ZDoom. The bullet puff had an y-offset of 27-30 so it appeared in mid-sector and not on the floor which looked like total shit.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Fixed the sound problem and the automap problem.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”