[RELEASE] Prodoomer V3.1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
treos

Re: [RELEASE] Prodoomer V3.1 [GZDoom]

Post by treos »

i have found a solution to the insane lag generated by those fancy doors in the hub zone.

display settings > opengl rendering > texture rendering > change anisotropic? (spellcheck please?) filtering to none or 2x and you'll get a MASSIVE drop in the lag those things generate.

man, GZDoom has a LOT of settings to browse through and tinker with. o_O

also, i went through one sideways just now to check a suspicion and i was right! another part of the lag problem is the fact that those are actually around 30 animated textures all in a row. on their own, they wouldn't be a problem but like with many animated "things", when stacked like that, they generate FAR more lag than usual.

maybe reduce the number of those in each door a bit? say...10 or so less than the current number? the pseudo-3D effect is nice, sure, but is it worth the massive cost on resource usage?

that also comes into play during any boss battles where the doors to the chosen "arena" gets blocked off by them. it's the same exact issue there. and in some cases, like episode 1 map 2, you can have 2-3+ of these doors on-screen which just multiplies the resulting resource usage and multiplies the resulting lag.

another idea i had was to maybe make a slightly edited...."lite" version of the mod? just changing certain things like the issue i spoke of above and making them less intensive for those of us with weaker PCs. i'm not a modder though so i dunno how much work that would be. i'll leave it up to the creator of this impressive and large mod to decide what to do and just hope things work out in the future. :)

edit (7/23/2017): ok, so i now know why map 15's frame rate drops to what i assume is single digit frame rates. there are 2 large portals on the map and by large portals i mean the hub gates on a "WTF were you thinking putting so many of these animated textures in one place?!" scale.

the end of the map has you and that seargant guy each going through one such portal which means 2 of these areas on the map. each area is a large cave room with a F ton of those textures across every inch of the room.

even with a good gaming pc this setup would probably lead to some heavy frame rate issues. for me, single digit frame rate that is so slow i can only just BARELY move at all and turning the camera has to be done extremely slowly so it doesn't jerk around.

whereas the hub portals each have around 3 or so of these textures layered. the "portals" on this map likely have hundreds if not more layered in 2 areas of the map. reducing the anisotropic rendering to 2x does absolutely NOTHING to help on that map as the sheer number of those textures all running and being animated at the same time simply cripples performance on the map. and if i come across any other maps using those textures at such a massive scale or greater then that's when this mod will become entirely unplayable for me because i had to noclip my way to the end of map 15 due to that insane amount of lag.

i can't think of a single reason why you would need to be using constantly animated textures in this way beyond making things look fancy. and this isn't remotely worth the frame rate drops and resource usage. if i come across an even WORSE setup later...my laptop might just give and cause the program to crash. i was worried it might when i saw that room.

please, PLEASE make a lite version of this mod or something with the number of animated textures in areas like that cut down drastically. map 15 is just BARELY playable and the hub zone lags bad...increasingly so with each newly unlocked episode.
Tokoshoran

Post by Tokoshoran »

treos wrote:i have found a solution to the insane lag generated by those fancy doors in the hub zone.
please, PLEASE make a lite version of this mod or something with the number of animated textures in areas like that cut down drastically. map 15 is just BARELY playable and the hub zone lags bad...increasingly so with each newly unlocked episode.
I may not need it, but I would still like to support the suggestion of a lite version.

--

Regarding Map16, Bi-Color Dimension, is the first place I'm supposed to go where the Sniper Guy is? Because that jump is impossible going to that island. I've made it with plenty of inches to spare going back, so I wonder if the island is higher up or if I just happened to get frame perfect that jump, but in order to refrain from cheating I had to rocketjump that one. I couldn't actually see any other jumps I could make (At least not without rockets--I made it into one of the caves instead using rockets to lower the islands in the sky, but the teleporters eventually take you there anyways), so either that particular jump is a bit too far or the intended path is too well hidden.

Another thing I found rocket jumping around was in Map06, In The Rooftops (Night), after reaching the grenades and rockets this time with the actual necessary gear, I rocket jumped up to the skinny skyscrapers and then to the mass of them, and made my way over to the blue wall, expecting it to just be one of the rings that seem to be placed where I'd need fancy tricks to get to, but what was actually there kind of scared me. Who was that, there? One of the staff members involved in the making of this mod?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I may not need it, but I would still like to support the suggestion of a lite version.
That's never going to happen because GZDoom no longer supports outdated hardware, so backtracking to an older version of GZDoom is also out of the question as it would break the MOD. Plus I doubt PsychoSilver is gonna even attempt making a lite version out of a very outdated version of GZDoom that has lots of gameplay variables missing.
Regarding Map16, Bi-Color Dimension, is the first place I'm supposed to go where the Sniper Guy is? Because that jump is impossible going to that island. I've made it with plenty of inches to spare going back, so I wonder if the island is higher up or if I just happened to get frame perfect that jump, but in order to refrain from cheating I had to rocketjump that one. I couldn't actually see any other jumps I could make (At least not without rockets--I made it into one of the caves instead using rockets to lower the islands in the sky, but the teleporters eventually take you there anyways), so either that particular jump is a bit too far or the intended path is too well hidden.
Some nooks and crannies are not meant to be looted. If you manage to legitimately get to spot and back, kudos to you.

Also, some maps are meant to be back-tracked to obtain rings and special upgrades after you have acquired certain upgrades from the shop or from gaining a high enough character level. You will need to find everything to unlock everything in the game.
Another thing I found rocket jumping around was in Map06, In The Rooftops (Night), after reaching the grenades and rockets this time with the actual necessary gear, I rocket jumped up to the skinny skyscrapers and then to the mass of them, and made my way over to the blue wall, expecting it to just be one of the rings that seem to be placed where I'd need fancy tricks to get to, but what was actually there kind of scared me. Who was that, there? One of the staff members involved in the making of this mod?
That's an Easter Egg, there's a handful scattered around in the game. They don't serve much purpose other than existing as a challenge for players to find.
ok, seriously... how do you do the 3rd map of episode 1? i go in, down the hall to the left, hit the switch, the machine in the middle of the room raises up and nothing happens. there's no key cards or anything that will let me progress.

what am i supposed to be doing on this map?
Erm, yeah, hopefully that bit gets addressed when the polishing patch comes in. You're supposed to run in and flip a bunch of switches til you reach the final switch. When you get to that reactor room, you flip the switch and the reactor cover get removed and you need to shoot it. Just don't stand next to any doors when you do, it may blow you up.
edit: also, i can't even cheat my way through this map because the idclip and idspispopd codes don't work so there's no noclip-ing through these locked doors. iddqd and idkfa as well as idbeholdA work but there doesn't seem to be any way through this lvl from what i can tell and yes, i've run around checking all the walls and only found the one secret where that computer thing leads to a short hallway.
Never had that happen. But if you are running this MOD on a GZDoom version higher than 2.2.0, then you are bound to find a lot of problems.
Tokoshoran

Post by Tokoshoran »

Valherran wrote:
Some nooks and crannies are not meant to be looted. If you manage to legitimately get to spot and back, kudos to you.

Also, some maps are meant to be back-tracked to obtain rings and special upgrades after you have acquired certain upgrades from the shop or from gaining a high enough character level. You will need to find everything to unlock everything in the game.
I think you may have misunderstood. I'm saying I can't find the way to get through without rocket jumping (a double jump just falls shy), and I get the feeling that the required path wasn't supposed to require such a trick. The secondary area I reached was one that I eventually made it to via the standard teleporters anyways, unless getting the red skull/card was a bonus path.

While I'm sure a lot of the rings and bonuses will actually require the later abilities, a few I reached with those later abilities I realize afterwards look like they were supposed to be reached via much easier means. Oh well, if I happen to get it the hard way, at least I still get it.
That's an Easter Egg, there's a handful scattered around in the game. They don't serve much purpose other than existing as a challenge for players to find.
Sure, but who is it?
ok, seriously... how do you do the 3rd map of episode 1? i go in, down the hall to the left, hit the switch, the machine in the middle of the room raises up and nothing happens. there's no key cards or anything that will let me progress.

what am i supposed to be doing on this map?
Erm, yeah, hopefully that bit gets addressed when the polishing patch comes in. You're supposed to run in and flip a bunch of switches til you reach the final switch. When you get to that reactor room, you flip the switch and the reactor cover get removed and you need to shoot it. Just don't stand next to any doors when you do, it may blow you up.
That had me wasting time shooting other electric markers in later levels just to see if they were meant to be shot too. Then again, the original DOOM had walls that only reacted to being shot anyways, so it's nothing new.
edit: also, i can't even cheat my way through this map because the idclip and idspispopd codes don't work so there's no noclip-ing through these locked doors. iddqd and idkfa as well as idbeholdA work but there doesn't seem to be any way through this lvl from what i can tell and yes, i've run around checking all the walls and only found the one secret where that computer thing leads to a short hallway.
Never had that happen. But if you are running this MOD on a GZDoom version higher than 2.2.0, then you are bound to find a lot of problems.
Addressed this to him elsewhere: the cheat codes are simple different codes on GZDoom. God, Fly, Buddha, Buddha2, Changemap, etc rather than strings of random characters. In the original DOOM, these were debug codes, but now they're cheat codes so they made them easier to guess.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Tokoshoran wrote: That had me wasting time shooting other electric markers in later levels just to see if they were meant to be shot too. Then again, the original DOOM had walls that only reacted to being shot anyways, so it's nothing new.
Tip: check your map for pink linedefs.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I think you may have misunderstood. I'm saying I can't find the way to get through without rocket jumping (a double jump just falls shy), and I get the feeling that the required path wasn't supposed to require such a trick. The secondary area I reached was one that I eventually made it to via the standard teleporters anyways, unless getting the red skull/card was a bonus path.
There is no rocket jumping required anywhere on that map. If it's the part I'm thinking of, you're supposed to shoot a switch through a window to bring down some platforms to jump on. I had no trouble jumping through anything in the game.
Sure, but who is it?
No idea, ask PsychoSilverTH.
Tokoshoran

Post by Tokoshoran »

Tapwave wrote:
Tokoshoran wrote: That had me wasting time shooting other electric markers in later levels just to see if they were meant to be shot too. Then again, the original DOOM had walls that only reacted to being shot anyways, so it's nothing new.
Tip: check your map for pink linedefs.
Pink...? I haven't seen any pink, ever. Am I supposed to be playing this on something that isn't the latest version of GZDoom?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It's an option you'll need to enable manually in the Automap Settings - you can set it to show trigger lines.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

wildweasel wrote:It's an option you'll need to enable manually in the Automap Settings - you can set it to show trigger lines.
More specifically, set the automap to Traditional Doom. I did the same thing too when I played this game because the map was insanely hard for me to read.
Tokoshoran

Post by Tokoshoran »

Valherran wrote:
wildweasel wrote:It's an option you'll need to enable manually in the Automap Settings - you can set it to show trigger lines.
More specifically, set the automap to Traditional Doom. I did the same thing too when I played this game because the map was insanely hard for me to read.
I'll try that next time. Another feature that helps is to turn off Follow Player, these maps are so big you want to zoom in on distant areas, but Follow Player makes it only zoom in on you.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Tokoshoran wrote:
Valherran wrote:
I'll try that next time. Another feature that helps is to turn off Follow Player, these maps are so big you want to zoom in on distant areas, but Follow Player makes it only zoom in on you.
Just press F while in the map view.
Randumb
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Randumb »

Attention; the soundtrack is nearly complete! I'm missing a few songs; if you heard of a song that was used, let me know via YouTube or the ZDoom Forums! Right now I'm looking for the 'Legion of Atrocity' song.
PsychoSilverTH
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PsychoSilverTH »

Randumb wrote:Attention; the soundtrack is nearly complete! I'm missing a few songs; if you heard of a song that was used, let me know via YouTube or the ZDoom Forums! Right now I'm looking for the 'Legion of Atrocity' song.
Thank you :D.

This is the song used in "Legion of Atrocity":

George Kollias - The Passage (Instrumental) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dYiSSSYjq4
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Well damnit, I didn't know v3 had been released one month after the last time I was on this forum. At the time, I had gotten into other games and was rather busy with various school and work related projects, so I didn't even touch the wiki entry I started. I'm still quite busy most days, but it wouldn't hurt to test v3 so I can update my notes and finish the wiki entries.

This was the paltry job I did on the Doom Wiki page I created back then, with only 2 levels:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Prodoomer

And here's the post where I copy-pasted my notes for v2:
viewtopic.php?p=945135#p945135

I'm pretty sure most of those are now obsolete and will need to be updated. I've been meaning to replay this mod anyway, now that hopefully the cutscene explosions glitch is fixed.

ETA: I've found I can no longer get the "Prodoomer Options" to show up under Options. I found out this is because I'm using GZDoom 3.2.5, which is the latest stable release. I had to roll back to GZDoom 2.2.0 to get it to work.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

OK, I beat v3 on Badass difficulty with 100% completion as far as I can tell-- except I can't figure out how to unlock the Doomer Kannon or Map34: Awakening. At this point I'm sitting at the endgame, having finished Map33: Legion of Atrocity, and am not sure if I should enter New Game Plus or if there's something I'm still missing.

On the plus side, the map entries on the wiki are almost all complete.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”