[Tiny mods] No Shotguns/Yes Shotguns! [UPDATED 8-4]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

[Tiny mods] No Shotguns/Yes Shotguns! [UPDATED 8-4]

Post by wildweasel »

Some time ago (September of 2014, if the file date is to be believed), I decided that, to prove a point, I'd strip Doom of every shotgun and shotgun shell. In their place, shotguns became chainguns, super shotguns became rocket launchers, and everything that would have given shotgun shells would now give bullets instead. The resulting file was a 350 byte PK3 that I'd informally titled "No Shotguns For You" - that can be found here. That is literally all it does.

I looked at it again a few years later (i.e. last week) and decided that, y'know what, if all I'm going to do is remove the shotguns, I should really make the chaingun actually worth using. And maybe make shotgunners drop something more useful than a clip, so players won't have to wait until Map 03 of Doom 2 to have a workhorse gun that isn't a pistol. So I spliced in one weapon and one enemy from Realm 667, upgraded the chaingun, and added a couple sounds. The result is No Shotguns For You 2. Shotgunners are now machinegunners, and they drop machineguns. These are slightly slower than the Doom chaingun but are capable of firing accurately if you just tap Fire. The Chaingun, on the other hand, is now the Super Chaingun - it doesn't look any different, and it doesn't do any more damage per shot than any other bullet weapon, but it is capable of blistering fire rates if you hold the trigger. Just mind your ammo usage!

No Shotguns For You 2 can be downloaded here.

Credits for that one are contained inside the PK3, but also echoed here for convenience:
Spoiler:
UPDATE July-25-2017: Thanks to Zrrion, the mod now has some nicer sprites and some additional gameplay tweaks and sounds that are a bit more fitting (both aesthetically, and to the Doom era). Because I'm almost certain somebody's going to prefer the previous version, I've decided to post this as an entirely new version.

Get NSFY!2.5 Here!

Credits included as a text file inside the 7z, but also echoed here for convenience.
Spoiler:
But That's Not All

Introducing Yes Shotguns For You, another small mod with the opposite goal to NoShotguns: every bullet weapon and clip is removed from the game, and replaced with an equivalent shotgun!

Get It Here, and read on for information.

You start the game with the Quick Shotgun, a fast, weak, but infinite-ammo boomstick. Enemies will drop the Pump Shotgun, a slightly more powerful variant of the traditional Doom shotgun. The Chaingun is replaced with the Double Shotgun, which is slightly stronger than the Pump Shotgun, but also a wider spread. Super Shotguns are now Auto Shotguns, which are weaker than the other two ammo-using shotguns, but the speed more than makes up for that. (The Plasma Rifle, BFG, Rocket Launcher, and Chainsaw are completely untouched.)

Credits are also below.
Spoiler:
And if for some reason you want the Old And Busted Original, well, here's No Shotguns version 1.
Akatsuki

Re: [Tiny mods] No Shotguns For You!/NSFY!2

Post by Akatsuki »

I'm getting a DECORATE error when trying to load this up
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

You need a newer version of GZDoom. I have no idea what the minimum version you'll need is, but I was doing all my testing with 3.1.0.
Akatsuki

Post by Akatsuki »

Well, I tried it with 2.4 just now and it worked, so that's that.

Thanks anyways
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Why don't you just use 3.1.0? It's the latest release and there's clearly no OpenGL version issue if you're already using 2.4.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I finally remembered to test this out and it was pretty fun I quite liked not having any shotguns. That said:
  • The shotgun replacement is way too easy to quickly chaingun snipe with. Once I had it I made a habit of staying far back and picking off enemies from safety. I'm unsure if this is intentional or not.
  • The chaingun replacement went from its normal firing speed to holy shit fast way too quickly. This combined with the spinning keeping it at holy shit speed after you stop firing made it feel very unwieldy. The few times I was able to find a large group of things to go all out with it was great, so max speed was good, but a gradual wind up/wind down would make it feel so much better. Using smooth frames for the windup/down would help prevent the animation from looking weird at low speeds.
    The chainguns sound while firing is strange also, I think its sound cutoff?
  • I'm also not too fond of the sprites for the shotgun replacement, but that doesn't effect the game play any, which is pretty nice.
Akatsuki

Post by Akatsuki »

Vaecrius wrote:Why don't you just use 3.1.0? It's the latest release and there's clearly no OpenGL version issue if you're already using 2.4.
Because my PC sucks. I'm sure you were already expecting an answer like this, though.
wildweasel

Re: [Tiny mods] No Shotguns For You!/NSFY!2.5 [UPDATED 7-25]

Post by wildweasel »

Updated to add No Shotguns For You! 2.5, which contains further tweaks to gameplay, different sounds, and some zrrion-provided sprites. Hoping my credits are correct. Get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkc8zw60p1xx5 ... .5.7z?dl=0

[edit] If you have tried to run this with Cyanide's 12,5 Quadrillion Shades of Doom, you may have noticed that it errors on startup about RifleGuy already being defined. I've now fixed the incompatibility by renaming my own copy of the actor. This is the only fix, so redownload only if you intended to run with that mod.
wildweasel

Re: [Tiny mods] No Shotguns/Yes Shotguns! [UPDATED 8-4]

Post by wildweasel »

I've made another tiny mod with an opposing concept to NoShotguns - I call it YesShotguns, and the link is in the first post. Forgive the animations being not very good in places. I'm lazy.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

From one end to the other. These little mods are great!
Deii

Post by Deii »

No Shotguns/Yes Shotguns is pretty fun, but I think you could have slipped in a grenade launcher that could fire either grenades or buckshot shells - don't know how balance would work. Also something like the HK CAWS (a ridiculous mag-fed shotgun that is actually great in full auto, has little recoil and pretty good accuracy) would have been a better replacement for the shotcannon...thing whose name I forgot. That one could have been the plasma rifle replacement. No idea what the BFG would have been aside of one of those ridiculous 4ga shotgun.

That's all I have to say, really. No gripes with the current guns in any way, no siree.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Quick bug report: It seems when you renamed rifleguy, you forgot to change the gldefs entry for it. The game is trying to attach dynamic lights to a non-existant actor.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Wivicer wrote:Quick bug report: It seems when you renamed rifleguy, you forgot to change the gldefs entry for it. The game is trying to attach dynamic lights to a non-existant actor.
Well, damn. :(

Return to “Gameplay Mods”