OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gollgagh

Re: OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited (july 201

Post by Gollgagh »

I think I have everything now

AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

The game seemed to run fine, but I think there was an odd notification at the start: https://imgur.com/a/8R7hK
osjclatchford

update

Post by osjclatchford »

thats no longer an issue now! :wink:
Spoiler:
dl link on op as usual

oh, and @gollgagh, you sir are a steely-eyed hud artist! fantastic work dude. it simply makes this mod...
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Notification gone, and all is well :)
Legend

Post by Legend »

That is a most excellent hud.
osjclatchford

update

Post by osjclatchford »

another minor update:
Spoiler:
Korell

Post by Korell »

Nice updates. I've updated my Quake Liquids addon to fit as best as possible. If will work with or without the textures_dih.pk3 being loaded, but without it there will be a few errors about actors that can't be replaced as they don't exist (because textures_dih.pk3 creates these actors).
osjclatchford

update

Post by osjclatchford »

sorry to be a bit of an idiot but I forgot to upload the actual latest version. its up now.
Spoiler:
*edit*
Korell wrote:Nice updates. I've updated my Quake Liquids addon to fit as best as possible. If will work with or without the textures_dih.pk3 being loaded, but without it there will be a few errors about actors that can't be replaced as they don't exist (because textures_dih.pk3 creates these actors).
still the same link you gave me before? if not I'll have the new one for the add-on section of the op please...
Korell

Re: update

Post by Korell »

osjclatchford wrote:
Korell wrote:Nice updates. I've updated my Quake Liquids addon to fit as best as possible. If will work with or without the textures_dih.pk3 being loaded, but without it there will be a few errors about actors that can't be replaced as they don't exist (because textures_dih.pk3 creates these actors).
still the same link you gave me before? if not I'll have the new one for the add-on section of the op please...
Yep, same link, as I've simply overwritten it in my OneDrive folder.
osjclatchford

update

Post by osjclatchford »

ok another minor update:
Spoiler:
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Not sure how I missed this before. But this is an excellent gameplay mod, I think this may be my go-to Heretic gameplay mod for quite some time! :)

I never really considered how well Quake and Heretic went together until playing this but really does seem like a perfect mix. Also, the added Grunt enemy and the floating snakes from Quake were a cool addition to the enemy roster!

I've only played through 3 levels of the first episode but this is incredibly fun so far. It really re-invigorates the gameplay and feel of Heretic. Anyways, Great work!
eyesoftheworld94

Post by eyesoftheworld94 »

just logged in to see if something like this was ever done (for Doom) but Heretic is great none-the-less. This Mod, is amazing. so far! (have only played the first 2 levels). Just wondering - Would you ever consider recreating the actual Quake levels within Gzdoom Builder ? That would be really cool to see - a TC of Q1 (with all levels from the Mission Packs and the released Mission Pack from MachineGames) (so far it practically is a TC except the levels and not all the monsters) but great job! I love it!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

eyesoftheworld94 wrote:(so far it practically is a TC except the levels and not all the monsters) but great job! I love it!
Part of the appeal of this mod for me is that it is a nice fusion between Quake and Heretic and so it becomes it's own new story. Seeing the old maps with a new skin (corrupted by the world of Quake?) and the mixture of monsters gives a nice, unique feel to things IMO.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be new maps, merely that it doesn't feel necessary (to me) and that if new maps were to be made, then someone could perhaps do so as an add-on for this mod. Expecting all the maps and those from the mission packs is a bit much though. :P Personally, I think any add-on maps for this mod would be better in a Heretic-like style anyway.

As for replacing all the enemies too - why? If that happens then it just becomes another Quake TC. It wouldn't matter if it was for Doom, Heretic or whatever because it would basically be Quake in GZDoom and not this nice HereQuake (Quaketic?) fusion. :)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Wow thanks guys! Glad to see this is reaching its Audience now...

To he honest concerning maps what enjay said is absolutely spot on.
However that being said the story in the readme is not what's dictating the mod design. Rather the other way around...

I was not out to remake quake. That is pointless. You can simply go play quake. The idea was to be bringing elements of quake and elements of heretic combining to make something almost quite as good as either... Lols...

But that doesn't mean that new maps' are off the table. I'd love to see maps made for heretic with this mod in mind. However. I do not map. Only sprites and (crude) code from me. So as enjay says, if someone makes maps. Great. It would be a fantastic add-on pack for the bulk mod. Just remember to make sure to make it a heretic map and simply use heretics textures, items and monsters and the mod will do the rest...

Yeah. It's a joke to assume anyone will make any maps but you never hurt by asking eh?

*edit*
update
Spoiler:
osjclatchford

update

Post by osjclatchford »

minor...

gl skies has had an overhaul to look much better...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”