Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Post by ImpieTwo »

My Thoughts On Brutal Heretic

The Good

This mod achieves the impossible: it makes Heretic weapons fun as hell to use! Especially the crossbow, and even the elven wand, which would normally be useless. Even though the enemies still have more health than i'd like, I don't mind it as much as with vanilla Heretic because I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

The Bad

The Dragon Claw should be doing at least as much damage as the elven wand; otherwise it's a waste of ammo, even at full capacity. It takes simply too many shots to kill things with to be considered useful.

Disappointed that the Hellstaff doesn't have the raining alt fire. It doesn't stand out from the rest of the weapons as much anymore, and really only serves as a backup weapon. I would've thought its brutal makeover would make it more distinct if nothing else.

Phoenix Rod's alt fire is useless. My ammo is gone in the blink of an eye, whereas it used to only expend 1 ammo unit so long as I kept the key held. Making it sap all my ammo doesn't balance anything because it only does the flamethrower attack for a brief period thanks to the tome of power.

Crossbow alt fire might be a tad OP unless it's expending more ammo at a time, say 3 shots instead of 1 shot. I didn't notice if it did.

Shadowsphere works but doesn't seem to make me invisible.

Ophidians and Bosses don't seem to have been changed at all, apart from updated projectiles for some of them. I had more trouble with the undead knights than any of these guys.

Replacing timebombs with flechettes removes their tactical advantages (drop, then run away).

My Thoughts So Far on Brutal Hexen

Good

Love the addition of the shield and attack combos, although the impact sounds of the axe aren't as satisfactory as they used to be. I also like that I can use Quietus as a sword and alt fire the super attack! The torch item in v3 is an interesting inclusion. Be nice if i could dual-wield it with my main weapon but sacrifice the use of the shield.

Bad

Only really played as the Fighter so far, still trying out everything, but haven't liked any of the weapons apart from the axe yet. The sword is merely faster and stylistically clashes. The crossbow undoes the challenge of having to fight close quarters for the entirety of the first hub, is OP, and not fun to use. I left both behind in the first hub. Why not simply bless the axe to make it do more damage at the cost of blue mana? It'd update the game with a more hardcore edge without tossing the figher class's distinction out the window.

After playing the v3 fighter only update I still feel the same about it. I guess the weapon selection at the beginning helps and gives a bit more variety, so that's nice.

In other words, this update is anything but final. Please don't stop working on it.

EDIT: Wait, the hammer of retribution hurts me to use it? Really?
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Hellstaff has a raining effect with altfire when you level up, but it goes straight. You mean, it should have the raining attack like in the original game? (it doesn't move away).
Yeah, the crossbow ALT cost 3 ammo.
The triple shot or spread (hell staff) could be replaced by a real new attack I think, something more original.
The firemace is really fun to use, i like projectiles like that ^^
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

have you guys checked out Heretical Doom? its my spinoff of brutal heretic and there were a lot of changes made to the weapons you might enjoy :D
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

I will! ^^

EDIT: I was thinking why you added some original attack here and not in an other weapons... i noticed, a lot of weapons have a "spread/triple attack boost" and a special attack, in ALT or with the tome of power.
Elven Wand, the Tome of power make it the "spread boost" but special attack with the alt.
Crossbow: Triple attack with the ALT but special attack with the tome
Dragon Claw: Rapidfire spread with the ALT and special attack with the tome of power (like a spike star thing)
Hell Staff: Fire Rain with the ALT, Spread attack with the Tome of power
Phoenix Rod has a triple attack with ALT, but flamethrower with the tome of power
Firemace: Alt throw mines (awesome ^^) and the tome of power make the big balls who throw multi bombs everywhere.

I understand the way you made it, it's actually coherent.
I just refinished the original game (till D'Sparil) with it, the "rain" attack with the ALT of the Hell staff is epic, same with the ALT of the Elven Wand, maybe a bit powerful but so fun to use! Good job. :)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Manhs wrote: Yeah, the crossbow ALT cost 3 ammo.
Weird, I only noticed it cost 1 ammo regardless.

I also didn't notice any difference in the attacks while I leveled up...

I also did an edit to the mod where I reduced enemy health to see how it would go (something they shoulda done with Heretic before release in the first place). Game plays a lot more fast-paced that way, and I think it's a lot more fun because I'm not having to play defensively all the time.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

The game could be too easy if you nerf the enemies, for me, even the dragon claw is very powerful, if you aim well, it can destroy the enemy really quickly and you have ammo everywhere in the original game.
Is the game challenging then ?

Have you downloaded the v2? You get alternative fire (bind it with right click of the mouse) when you level up, use "give ammo" in the console command to get 1 level up and ammo, so, do it 15 times to get the last level up, for the firemace and "give weapons" to get all the weapons and test the stuff.

The power of the dragon claw was buffed, it was too weak yes, it seems You use the v1?.... here is the v2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/34ioe26n7861d ... 2.pk3?dl=0
Last edited by Emmanuelexe on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uraharaa

Post by uraharaa »

Hi !
I just created an account on this board to say I just played the brutal hexen demo and it is brilliant ! :trippy:
This is incredible, I can't wait to see more ! Please keep up the good work ! <3

Greetings
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Any chance of getting the Hexen RPG to work in other games? The Heretic weapons feel better than the originals, but they're still kind of lacklustre compared to the arsenals of the other games. Not really through any fault of yours, the Heretic weapons have always been kind of boring.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Boring? It's like the same of the DOOM weapons except for the crossbow (projectile/shotgun) and the firemace.

The tome of power make the weapons more awesome and the projectiles are different and more epic, not generic and usual =)

Brutal Heretic make it more violent and fast, i like it but the original Heretic is still a gem for his balanced weapons.

Now, need just some brutal effect for some animations (the fireballs of the Ophidian?)
Aethun

Post by Aethun »

Zandronum compatibility?
or maybe... brutalized weapons for MP?
treos

Post by treos »

geez... non-resumable download links again. why do sites that use such bs setups (moddb and apparently dropbox) still exist? not everyone has a great high speed internet connection.

well, at least the file sizes of these 2 mods are small enough i can get them in one go.

anyway...those complaints aside, i will happily try out these mods. :)
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

It could be cool if it can be compatible with zandronum, to host it in some servers for survival/coop/dm, i'm sure it could be played!

Im playing HYMN.wad with it, v2 is so fun :D

For DM, there could be a patch to unlock all the alternative fire i think....
mips5000

Post by mips5000 »

Can anyone advise how to run Brutal Hexen / Heretic? Or point in the direction?
I have brutal doom running - through "gzdoom" as the application.
Much appreciated - I just played through the N64 version of Hexen and want to give this a run!
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

mips5000 wrote:Can anyone advise how to run Brutal Hexen / Heretic? Or point in the direction?
I have brutal doom running - through "gzdoom" as the application.
Much appreciated - I just played through the N64 version of Hexen and want to give this a run!
One must have either HERETIC.wad, HEXEN.wad or HEXDD.wad, and GZDoom. Same as Brutal DOOM.

Now, for my take on this mod. I adore what we have here, and do hope either the original author, or someone of equal caliber, can finish this one day. Until then, I will enjoy what is provided.

I would also like to say that I play Brutal HEXEN primarily on D-Touch, with the 2.1 GZDoom devbuild provided by said app. My phone isn't the best thing in the world (quad core processor (wtf) and 1 GB of RAM (also wtf)), so I decided to take it upon myself to make a mobile friendlier version, using assets from Brutal DOOM v20. It runs pretty solidly. I will be doing the same to Brutal Heretic.
Spoiler:
Kzer-Za
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Enemy healthbars

Post by Kzer-Za »

I apologize for possibly a stupid question, but how do I turn on enemy healthbars? In every video of Brutal Heretic RPG that I've seen a healthbar of the enemy that you currently have in your weapon sight (including the authors video in the announcement) is displayed in the upper-right corner of the screen. I can't seem to find the option to turn it on. At first I thought that it was "crosshair shows health" in HUD options, but turns out it just makes your crosshair change color depending on your health. So, can anyone please tell?

I use wad from Shadow of the Serpent Rider, gzdoom 3.1.0-1, and current Brtutal Heretic RPG (just downloaded it today).

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”