ZScript Discussion

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: ZScript Discussion

Post by Major Cooke »

That's pretty much the easiest way to debug, by printing out the variable. Here's a page you can use to convert from many types to a string for printing if needed.
Illasera

Post by Illasera »

Major Cooke wrote:That's pretty much the easiest way to debug, by printing out the variable. Here's a page you can use to convert from many types to a string for printing if needed.
Well i guess i will have to deal with it with that method, not exactly what i had in mind but if there are no other ways, that will do.
Thank you.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

From here:
Graf Zahl wrote:No. Do not move Tick to DoEffect. The code must still be called from the player's Tick() function. The calling semantics, even though similar, are not identical.
I'd like to know the difference between the two, please.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Is there any way to add an event handler without MAPINFO? I can't add such a thing because it needs to work in earlier versions where ZScript (and thus event handlers) didn't exist.
There is an EventHandler.Create function mentioned in a comment, but no such function actually exists.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Blue Shadow wrote: I'd like to know the difference between the two, please.

DoEffect is called from the owner's Tick function to ensure that all is done in a defined order. If you do some bookkeeping in there it may get mixed with other DoEffect functions by real inventory items so that the actual state of the player may only be partially affected by them when your function gets called.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Marrub wrote:Is there any way to add an event handler without MAPINFO? I can't add such a thing because it needs to work in earlier versions where ZScript (and thus event handlers) didn't exist.
There is an EventHandler.Create function mentioned in a comment, but no such function actually exists.
Nope and nope.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Major Cooke wrote:
Marrub wrote:Is there any way to add an event handler without MAPINFO? I can't add such a thing because it needs to work in earlier versions where ZScript (and thus event handlers) didn't exist.
Nope and nope.
Okay. Can you explain why EventHandler.Create doesn't exist anymore? It would be quite useful right now.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Nevermind that, apparently MAPINFO ignores unknown properties, so I can use it anyway.
UsernameAK

Post by UsernameAK »

How to send a netevent by activating a linedef?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

At the moment you cannot define any direct interactions between a linedef trigger and ZScript so you have to go through ACS and call a custom ZScript function through there.
UsernameAK

Post by UsernameAK »

Graf Zahl wrote:At the moment you cannot define any direct interactions between a linedef trigger and ZScript so you have to go through ACS and call a custom ZScript function through there.

Code: Select all

Line 25 in file "/tmp/SLADE3/SCRIPTS.acs" ...
/tmp/SLADE3/SCRIPTS.acs:25: Function scriptcall is used but not defined.
Well, how to get this function?
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

You'll need an ACS compiler that's up-to-date enough to support it. I'd recommend gdcc-acc, it comes with multiple benefits over normal acc: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=32078
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Graf, is it safe to introduce our own STAT_ numbers for thinkers? (I.e. using 7 for a stat number) Also, is there a set range for thinkers where the Tick function is not automatically called, besides 1 through 6 (STAT_INFO to STAT_STATIC)
UsernameAK

Post by UsernameAK »

Gutawer wrote:You'll need an ACS compiler that's up-to-date enough to support it. I'd recommend gdcc-acc, it comes with multiple benefits over normal acc: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=32078

Code: Select all

special -210:ScriptCall(5);
I have just wrote this in my code
UsernameAK

Post by UsernameAK »

How to check for ZScript support thru ACS and use a fallback way if it isn't supported?

Return to “Scripting”