The Joy of Mapping 4: Summer School - FINAL.

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

The Joy of Mapping 4: Summer School - FINAL.

Post by Jimmy »

(Many thanks to Kinsie once again for the art!)

This session is over and the maps are complete! Thanks so much to everyone who participated.

Download Links:
Current Release: FINAL (30MB)
/idgames Mirror
Dropbox Mirror
Powerhouse Mirror
Requires GZDoom's OpenGL renderer.
- Some maps employ sloped 3D floors which won't render in software mode.
- ZScript is used to change the IDCLEV cheat's functionality.

Map list:

Code: Select all

- EPISODE 1: LAST RESORT -

E1M1: Rocky Canyon - EcafR8708, RottKing & Jimmy
E1M2: Doomguy's Invaded Resort - CanSteam
E1M3: Chillin' at the Beach Base - Obake
E1M4: Forested Mountain - Dalvi Dandy
E1M5: Foghorn Shoehorn - an_mutt
E1M6: Villa - NuclearPotato
E1M7: Oceanbay - CardboxNeko & Jimmy
E1M8: Cavern Base - TheMightyHeracross
E1M9: Toom of Domb - Fonze
E1M10: Magnus - kyle2959
E1MFINAL: Snakebite Ravine - Alfonzo

- EPISODE 2: CITY OF DISSIDENTS -

E2M1: Hell's Effect - UAC-Janitor
E2M2: Amber Spectrum - Heavyasadeathinthefamily & Pinchy
E2M3: Bloodworks - DrPyspy
E2M4: Shinko - Nikku4211
E2M5: The Bleeding Bookcase - Dusk
E2M6: Date with a Demon - IdiotBitz
E2M7: Sacramentvm Diabolica - DooM_RO
E2M8: Carmine Delirium - Minimum Payne
E2M9: Ever Since the Barons Moved In... - Big Ol' Billy
E2M10: Plague Triumvirate - Temin_Dump
E2M11: Rondo of Blood - Breezeep
E2MFINAL: The Autarch's Keep - Baratus

- EPISODE 3: THE VERDANT REACHES -

E3M1: Infernal Outback - rf`
E3M2: Ill Church - Redead-ITA, kyle2959 & Pinchy
E3M3: Citadel of Pain - dankspawn
E3M4: The Gatehouse - Benjogami
E3M5: The Unbroken Pathway - boris
E3M6: Cathedral of Rot - Lord Shadow Z
E3M7: If They Move, Shoot 'Em! - amok
E3M8: The Bonevault - Benjogami
E3MFINAL: Vinelord - Wartorn

- EPISODE 4: FRONTIER OF CHAOS -

E4M1: Atmospheric Edgeway - Applefat.GOV
E4M2: Punchline Commando - AtroNx
E4M3: Chroma Quay - Gutawer
E4M4: Cage of Discord - SquawkyAtan
E4M5: Escape Velocity - Scotty
E4M6: Station 359 - Duke Wooze
E4M7: Crunk Time - 38_ViTa_38
E4M8: Dimmed Research - A2Rob
E4M9: Sand Wedges - Pinchy
E4MFINAL: Alienation - Scotty
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
=====

Discord server

Episode 1: Canyon/vine bases, beaches, lagoons, gardens. Most common liquid: water.
Episode 2: Autumnal ruined towns, burning/bloodied/decayed cities, wargrounds. Most common liquid: blood.
Episode 3: Green, slime-ridden corner of Hell. Mossy dens, overgrown chapels. Most common liquid: slime.
Episode 4: Space/voids. Hanging rocks, alien ships. Episode will feature many colorful liquids.

=====

Starting July 1st, The Joy of Mapping is returning again to help mappers young and old to get the spark of creativity that they need to make and finish a map all of their own.

This time round, you could be joining a crack team of mappers (new and adept alike) to create a whole episodic megawad of material together. And it'll only take us a week to map it all.

Here's how you can get involved!

Discord server - For general communication before, after, and during the session. I and the tutors/mods are happy to provide answers to any queries you may have!
SERVER RULES AND MAPPING GUIDELINES - Highly important! Please read these!!!

What is this?
  • Have you heard of a thing called "Doom mapping" which is that thing a load of snobby retrophiles do for fame and glory?
  • Have you opened up Doom Builder maybe once or twice but been utterly intimidated by the interface?
  • Does mapping seem to you like something best left to "the professionals"?
  • Then come along down! We'll all come together and make a mapset.
Now onto the fun part: Unlike previous sessions, this Joy of Mapping "Summer School" event will be running for a solid week (and a bit), starting July 1st, 2017 @ 12AM EST and running until July 10th, 2017 @ 12AM EST. During that time, we will be creating a fairly large-scale megawad of content from mappers of all backgrounds - everyone is welcome. There will as always be an emphasis on allowing new mappers to the community to take their time.

To go into detail of what we will be ending up with:
  • We will be creating 4 episodes of content - see Ultimate Doom for the general gist. Maps should all be for Doom 2, but they can be any map format GZDoom will load.
  • Mappers will need to specify to me which episode they'd like to map for. I will assign you one of four teams to work in that will be tackling each episode. You'll get access to your own voice/text channels to discuss mapping with your teammates and collaborate if need be, plus you'll get the texture WAD that your team of mappers will be working with for your episode.
  • Once the teams are together, the person creating the episode starter and the person creating the episode finisher will need to be decided upon. (If this can't be sorted out, then the roles will be doled out at random, but I think we'll figure it out without too much hassle.) The starting map will need to be short and sweet. The finishing map will probably need to be short as well, and feature some sort of climactic fight with one of the boss monsters.
  • Collaboration is permitted - i.e. you may start a layout and then give it to another mapper (or offer it to the channel to see who takes it up) so they may add to or finish it. This is in fact encouraged! Builds community, after all.
  • Please refer to the MAPPING GUIDELINES (which are also linked above - yes this document is important!) for general rules on how you should be making your map to ensure it's viable for inclusion in the compilation.
  • Just so it makes things easy for me, here's an info template for when you come to submit your map:

```
    Map Name: (name of map)
    By: (name you want to be credited under)
    Music Track: (name of music track)
    Music Composer: (name of composer, if known)
    Build Time: (hours/mins taken, if known)
    Additional Credits: (credits for any extra resources used)
    ```
Interested? Just show up to the Discord server and express your interest. (You don't need Discord installed, as the web app will do just fine.) Discord, for those not in the know, is a powerful communication program with text chat, voice chat, file sharing, streaming support, and all sorts of other goodies.

You won't need to have voice enabled during the session, but it might help to be aware of what's going on, so joining a voice channel is encouraged, for community-building. There will possibly be streams going on which will also allow you to stay up-to-date with things as they develop. I may be making important announcements over voice, Discord chat, and maybe Twitch chat (if I do end up streaming).

As always, fun is mandatory. See you there, students!

Last edited by Jimmy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 17 times in total.
joe-ilya

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School

Post by joe-ilya »

Hey there Jimmy, did your server just disappear or is it just on my side?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

joe-ilya wrote:Hey there Jimmy, did your server just disappear or is it just on my side?
Discord is evidently having some major connectivity issues today, so that might be part of that.
rockthemike13

Post by rockthemike13 »

Oh neat!

I've been playing Doom since about 1994/95 and it's a game I all ways return to. I work a blue collar 40/40/40 job with little time, but finally felt some strange spark in creativity and decided to try my hand at level design with no knowledge on the subject. So for about a week I'd been working on a map (my wife thinks I've gone mad) and to be frank it's rubbish.

I'd love to hop in and get some tips and work with some more experienced people. You might see me swing by if I can find the time!
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

It's already a day before the session and the Discord server invitation still doesn't work, please respond, Jimmy, because I still have no idea what's going on.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Happy July 1st! Welcome to The Joy of Mapping - Summer School. 🌞
Time to make a megawad together.

Discord server - Join NOW to be part of this!

HERE ARE YOUR THEMES!
Episode 1: Canyon/vine bases, beaches, lagoons, gardens. Most common liquid: water.
Episode 2: Autumnal ruined towns, burning/bloodied/decayed cities, wargrounds. Most common liquid: blood.
Episode 3: Green, slime-ridden corner of Hell. Mossy dens, overgrown chapels. Most common liquid: slime.
Episode 4: Space/voids. Hanging rocks, alien ships. Episode will feature many colorful liquids.

Texture packs for G/ZDoom: [Episode 1] [Episode 2] [Episode 3] [Episode 4]
Texture packs for Boom: [Episode 1] [Episode 2] [Episode 3] [Episode 4]

With the themes revealed:
  • Please either make a post in this thread saying which episode you'd like to map for, OR (preferably) join my Discord and look in the #session-general channel for instructions on how to be a part of the session.
  • Please only choose one. You can always change your mind. If you want to make more than map, that's fine, but we all should be working on just one at a time.
  • If you want to make an episode opener or finale, you'll have to join my Discord as soon as you can to get in quick and secure your place, as only eight slots in the project exist for these special levels, and they might all go straight away, since Discord is an instant chat medium as opposed to a forum.
I'll tally up the posts in this thread, and add you all to the teams accordingly. You'll then all get access to unique text/voice channels on my Discord. Ideally the teams should be of similar size so please be considerate when voting!

Time to kick back and map. Have fun, everyone! o/
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

One day down! I have seen some maps already, and they're looking great. Keep up the fab work, everyone!

Here's what the project is looking like right now - this is of course by no means final, since this is merely the people who have expressed interest so far, and of course the order is entirely arbitrary (save for the starters and finales which I've noted on this list).

E1: (~12 maps)
kyle2959 [Starter Map]
NuclearPotato
Dalvi Dandy
CanSteam
Fonze
TheMightyHeracross
TerminusEst13
CardboxNeko
Zedonk
an_mutt
Obake
Alfonzo [Finale Map]

E2: (~14 maps)
UAC-250 [Starter Map]
kevansevans
DrPyspy
IdiotBitz
temin_dump
Nikku4211
Minimum Payne
Big Ol Billy
7Soul
Heavyasadeathinthefamily
DooM_RO
Dusk
Breezeep
Baratus [Finale Map]

E3: (~11 maps)
rf` [Starter Map]
AD_79
LordShadowZ
Vbob
ZZYZX
Xenoyaut
Redead-ITA
dankspawn
boris
Cell
Wartorn [Finale Map]

E4: (~13 maps)
Gebloner [Starter Map]
rdwpa
Gutawer
A2Rob
Arctangent
BouncyTEM
DukeWooze
SAraisVanu
Pinchy
vita
Eris Falling
Xaser
Scotty [Finale Map]

Looking to be a pretty big project! I'm excited, how about you guys? :D
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School (DEADLINE EXTENDED)

Post by Jimmy »

Good news, if you were struggling to get something in on time, then you now have the weekend to do so.

If you haven't already submitted your final map, your new deadline is July 10th @ 12AM EST. I've updated the OP's countdown timer to account for this.

Hope to see all those of you who are interested at the finish line! o/
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Looks like the Discord server went offline in an outage. EDIT: it's back.

There's just 5 hours to go before the deadline passes - I expect it to be back by then but if not, well, you guys let off the hook and I'll waive the deadline. :P Just get your submissions to me somehow, preferably by posting in this thread.

Here's your template for submissions again.

Map Name: 
By:
Place desired:
Music Track:
Music Composer:
Build Time:
Jump/crouch/freelook allowed:
Additional Credits:
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I'm waiting for this mapset. Probably I'll record all of the maps :D...
Good luck for the final product
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School (TESTING UNDERWAY)

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks to all the tutors and students who mapped painstakingly over these 9 days of mapping summer school.

The maps have been compiled and we've ended up with a whopping 42 submissions. Whoa! Twice as big as The Joy of Mapping 3.

Internal testing has begun. If you were a participant, head on over to the Discord and grab a compilation before we release publicly. Cheers!

EDIT: Out-of-date maplist removed. Check OP!
Last edited by Jimmy on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
leodoom85

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School (TESTING UNDERWAY)

Post by leodoom85 »

I just recorded JoM 3 while waiting this mapset (hype) and....42 maps is impressive. WOW!!!
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School (BETA RELEASED!)

Post by Jimmy »

Hello, everyone. I'm pleased to announce we now have our public beta ready for playtesting and critique!

I am extremely sorry for the delays in getting this out the door - even though I did my best in putting this thing together (dedicating most of my mid-year break from uni to organising and compiling this behemoth of a project), I admit that my management of this particular release could have been a lot stricter, and I hope interest in giving a blow-by-blow to these very promising new maps, by many keen mappers totally new to the scene, has not waned in the interim.

Check out the map list and screenshots below. There are an amazing 42 maps in this set across 4 episodes, and I've had help in tweaking the IDCLEV cheat to enable warping between them all. We hope you enjoy the joy of summer with us! (Or what remains of it, at any rate. What is it, nearly August? I haven't slept properly in like a month, whoops.)

Download Links:
Feedback Template
Current Release: Public Beta 2.1 (30MB)
Dropbox Mirror (more pending)
Requires GZDoom 3.1.0's OpenGL renderer.
- Some maps employ sloped 3D floors which won't render in software mode.
- ZScript is used to change the IDCLEV cheat's functionality. (It now takes three digits.)

(If you wish to use anything in this PK3, please refer to jom4credits.txt for the full list.)
Spoiler: Map list
Spoiler: Screenshots
Last edited by Jimmy on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

This whole wad is impressive.Hope to see more like this! :D
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I've pushed out a very quick hotfix to address some pressing issues that were found.

Public Beta 1.1 (30MB)

Changes:
  • Crucial hotfix to E2M7 to give a door the proper key lock.
  • Small updates to E1M4, E2M8.
  • Change of music to E1M4 per the mapper's request.
  • Fixed small visual glitch in the hub.
  • The modified IDCLEV cheat was found to break the IDCLIP an IDCHOPPERS cheats due to beginning with "IDC". Have renamed the 3-digit level warp cheat to IDROSS as a result. IDCLEV will still work, but for the Doom 2 IWAD maps.
Last edited by Jimmy on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Levels”