WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JPL

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by JPL »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Merged Lost Episodes in a Wadsmoosh. Lost Episodes no longer have their skybox. What am do?
If someone else who's tried this wants to jump in and help they're welcome to, but Lost Episodes and any other non-official content is not supported by WadSmoosh.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

JPL wrote:
Silentdarkness12 wrote:Merged Lost Episodes in a Wadsmoosh. Lost Episodes no longer have their skybox. What am do?
If someone else who's tried this wants to jump in and help they're welcome to, but Lost Episodes and any other non-official content is not supported by WadSmoosh.
Check here:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52757&start=225#p962678
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

irukanjji wrote:
JPL wrote:
Check here:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52757&start=225#p962678
Tried lumping in the folder that was linked, then ran it through. Same result. No skybox.

I found what the problem was. The mapinfo entries for the skybox textures were flat-out wrong. Had to change them back to use the actual patch names and not L_Sky# etc etc.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Can I use this to merge the Astrostein WADs together?
vanhofen

Post by vanhofen »

Feature request for Wadsmoosh: A configfile named wadsmoosh.conf which is not delivered within the zip (or delivered a wadsmoosh.conf.dist or so) to allow my own settings without changing the original files.

wadsmoosh.conf:

Code: Select all

SRC_WAD_DIR = 'D:/path/to/my/wads/smooshme/'
DEST_FILENAME = 'D:/path/to/my/wads/doom_complete.pk3'
This keywords should overwrite the defined variables in wadsmoosh.py.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Wiw wrote:Can I use this to merge the Astrostein WADs together?

No. They heavily depend on Dehacked and each modify the same base data. You'd have to do a lot of DECORATE converting first.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Graf Zahl wrote:

No. They heavily depend on Dehacked and each modify the same base data. You'd have to do a lot of DECORATE converting first.
Yeah, you're right. I'm working through that now, actually, but I'd at least like to know what textures and sprites are shared between each episode. I'd need like an index of that or something.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Also WadSmoosh's only purpose is to merge the retail IWADs, so if anyone undertakes this please do so in another thread!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I had actually asked JPL about the same thing a while ago for my Laz Rojas ZDoom pack. It's a bit more complex than usual. The Astrostein, Rheingold and Arctic Wolf episodes share enemies (and other things), but use them differently (different sprites/code).

The only way to make it work would be to determine all assets the episodes share (like Wiw wrote) and redefine these shared entries completely. That's quite some amount of work, and I couldn't convince myself to do it so far...
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I'm working through it right now! It actually looks a lot harder than it is - in fact, I'm sure it can be done with enough self-discipline.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Let me know about your progress (maybe not here, though). Merging the Rheingold/Astrostein/Arctic Wolf episodes together was the only major thing I never managed to do in my project.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Okay, just updated the build with a couple relatively major changes. From the changelists:

Code: Select all

- options screen!
-- on/off for "legacy sky compat" - defaults off, turn this ON if a PWAD's custom sky isn't showing up properly. should only be needed with certain (usually older) PWADs which include a TEXTURE1 lump that redefines SKY1/2/3
-- on/off to set final doom ACS texture subs (see below). shouldn't usually be needed but there just in case.
- use ACS to perform Final Doom texture replacements on level start, instead of replacing texture references in the extracted WAD files with omgifol. this keeps the map checksums identical to their source IWAD versions, so that all ZDoom compatibility.txt fixes can apply to them. this removes the need to manually patch TNT map31 and Plutonia map26, and generally simplifies wadsmoosh code in favor of using existing ZDoom systems.
It sucks that it's impossible to auto-detect-and-fix the Doom2 sky problem, but fortunately it only affects certain older WADs.
JPL

Post by JPL »

New build is up with two changes:
- use Deflate compression (the most widely supported form of ZIP compression) to reduce full pk3 file size from 42MB to 17MB.
- new ENDOOM with better art and credits

Going to let this one sit for a few weeks then upload it to idgames as an official update if nobody finds any problems with it. Testing welcome!

Relatedly, I added a file for a single episode full playthrough - see "Doom Complete Playthrough" on my Doom page: http://vectorpoem.com/doom
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

JPL wrote: Relatedly, I added a file for a single episode full playthrough - see "Doom Complete Playthrough" on my Doom page: http://vectorpoem.com/doom
Awesome, glad you did implemented this!
Empyre

Post by Empyre »

DarkkOne wrote:Would it be possible for a change to be made to make it identify as Doom 2? That would be the "most compatible" choice right? Not a lot of mods that only work with Doom but not Doom 2, right?
I agree with this idea.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”