[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: [Blade of Agony] Chapter 2 released | p140

Post by Gez »

Tormentor667 wrote:Now that the episodes are split, the whole thing doesn't work anymore as intended - no idea how to turn that around now.
Set a CVAR upon completion of the mission. In the HQ, place an interactive linedef on the mutant goo vat in the lab. If you start episode 2 or later, the vat gets a "dialog" perhaps kind of like this:
"You reminisce upon your destruction of Dr. Schabbs' mutant factory." with answers like "1. One of the best explosions of my career! Good times, good times." and "2. No, that never happened." If players choose option 1 it sets the "not many mutants anymore" flag (and perhaps fill the vat to give a visual clue that it was done), for options 2 it doesn't (leave the vat empty). In either case, the line gets cleared so as not to be interactive anymore (like how the talking toilet gets disabled in Episode 2).
Tormentor667 wrote:It's actually very hard to do this scriptwise and I don't think it's worth the effort to give everyone new dialogue. I added a new dialogue to Gutenberg though that explains why he, Miller and Rojas are the only ones knowing about the special secret operation.
If he gets something better to do than "shoo", that'll be a progress at least.

So, finished. Though I still have some replay value, as I kept a save from the infiltration level just before the end, to try to see how easy/hard it is to just cleanse the base of all its bad guys.

One thing I generally disliked was the heavy fog. It's annoying when you can't see enemies, because they, they can always see you. The heavy fog also robbed the ending twist of much of its power because I know you made a special animation for it (I complained about the spoiler in the git log, remember) but honestly without the dialog boxes I wouldn't have known what was happening, all I saw were closed grids and an orange haze. The animation? Didn't see it.

Some screenshots that I had been too lazy to upload before.
Spoiler:
I thought you said you didn't want to swim in this? Hey, can you retrieve the key for me while you're there?
Spoiler:
I forgot which level this was, but for some reason the corpses where levitating. You could even crouch and wear them as a hat.
Spoiler:
Oh yeah. Bad texture alignment here. It's in the HQ.
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, when I complain about the fog. This is where we have to kill snipers. They're pretty much invisible, unless cheating to get the light amp to disperse the fog.
Spoiler:
You can get stuck here.
Spoiler:
Weird glitch. It's probably in C2M5_A but I kind of forgot where.
Spoiler:
Bad alignment on that crate. -12537, -2083
Spoiler:
Glitched lamp, it shines when it's turned off. Too bad I didn't think to note the coordinates.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Ooh, can I make a suggestion for an easter egg?!
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

I'm at a part in Blade of Agony: Chapter 2 where you must keep your weapon lowered in order to move through Nazi ranks unnoticed. But nowhere in the "customize controls" screen is there any option to bind a key to "holster weapon". I also checked the "enhanced options" screen as well, but no luck. It would have been nice if the devs had included an in-game tutorial for how to lower or holster a weapon. I literally cannot progress without that knowledge, and that sucks.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

As the pop-up message said when you picked up the scientist uniform, weapon slot zero is the "No Weapon" slot.

(I'll see about making that more obvious)
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

Stormwalker wrote:I'm at a part in Blade of Agony: Chapter 2 where you must keep your weapon lowered in order to move through Nazi ranks unnoticed. But nowhere in the "customize controls" screen is there any option to bind a key to "holster weapon". I also checked the "enhanced options" screen as well, but no luck. It would have been nice if the devs had included an in-game tutorial for how to lower or holster a weapon. I literally cannot progress without that knowledge, and that sucks.
I used the scroll wheel, myself. But yeah, it took me a while to figure out.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Gez wrote:There's a bug with gibbed guards (at least the SSMP40Guard, perhaps others too): they still somehow count as living monsters (listed by the "monster" console command, or if you use the automap cheat (without using sprite display) their triangles will show up in the "monster" color).
This is fixed now in the dev version. I was abusing some flags and manually un-setting the CORPSE flag for... reasons... which caused this effect.
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

AFADoomer wrote:As the pop-up message said when you picked up the scientist uniform, weapon slot zero is the "No Weapon" slot.

(I'll see about making that more obvious)
I tried that, and it does not work. I looked in the "customize controls" menu section and made sure that "weapon slot 0" was bound to the "0" key, which it was. Also, scrolling the mouse wheel doesn't work either. It just cycles through all my guns, but never goes to a "no weapon" state.

It shouldn't make any difference, but I am running this mod in Ubuntu 17.04 if that helps.
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

Nevermind, I figured out what I was doing wrong. So apparently you can trigger the message and Douglas' communication(as well as graying out the exclamation point) without actually picking up the uniform. You just have to get kinda close to the uniform. That's what caused the confusion, because I thought I had the uniform on already. A good fix would be to script it so that the player has to have possession of the uniform before he receives those messages. Thanks for your help though.

By the way, truly excellent work! It's incredible what you guys have done. I'd rather play this than most modern AAA titles.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Incidentally, it is possible to clear that map by killing everything (stealth and sniper kills are particularly important) even if you use up all your ammo doing so. (there's more than enough in the final map)
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

@Gez
Thank you for your feedbacks, just fixed some right now on Intermap and C2M5_A...
That issue on C2M5_A was there because I noticed that there were multiple misaligned vertices between sectors surrounding polydoors, so I had to nitpick and merge each vertex, then realign properly to the grid (4mp usually, those where edited instead with 0,125mp I bet)

[EDIT]: Can you tell me where that glitched lamp is? I am not sure where it comes from already...
TDG

Post by TDG »

I am wondering if someone here could still help me out getting BOA to run properly without slowdowns.
I noticed that the slowdowns tend to happen when there are a lot of light effects going on.
McConville

Post by McConville »

TDG wrote:I am wondering if someone here could still help me out getting BOA to run properly without slowdowns.
I noticed that the slowdowns tend to happen when there are a lot of light effects going on.
It even slows down on a GTX 1080 and 32 DDR4. So don't expect too much to be changed.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I suppose you could switch off the light effects.
TDG

Post by TDG »

Oddly enough reducing the special effects to minimum has solved the problem for the most of me. There is still some slowdowns in the level I am in and the intro of Chapter 2 also does not run smoothly, but at least I can continue playing.
It even slows down on a GTX 1080 and 32 DDR4. So don't expect too much to be changed.
I am planning to get a new computer this or next year, what would be the most recommended video card that can play this fully (I am probably going to get something more powerful any way but it is good to know which would be the minimum demands)

On another note, this has nothing really do with the released chapters of Wolfenstein Blade of Agony but in the last couple of months I have been corresponding with Tormentor667 as I liked the effort and his team have done on BOA.

During it I also mentioned that I recognized a lot of influenced of various pulp adventure stories as well as Indiana Jones and brought this, also asking of Tormentor667 had perhaps heard of the Indiana Jones adventure game that never came to be because of various reasons: Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix.
I rather liked from what I read on what had been planned and I also rather liked the Dark Horse adaptation even if the ending is rather different than that of the planned game. (Indy never goes to Bolivia to confront the remnants of the Nazis there)

I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if perhaps B.J. Blazkowicz took over for Indy" (I can imagine both existing in the same universe), "B.J. Blazkowicz and the Iron Phoenix" perhaps?
That being the basis for a BOA expansion pack. B.J. Blazkowicz becoming a CIA agent after the Second World War (or continuing as a OSA agent if that organization still exists), pursuing Nazi agents all over a Post World War 2 world while trying to prevent them from requiring mythical artifacts such as the hammer of Thor, or acquiring the means to start a new Nazi super weapon program.
At the end the player would confront a resurrected Hitler who has been brought back to live through the Philosopher's Stone together with an army of undead Nazi soldiers (they would be more intelligent weapon using zombies or skeletal creatures rather than the Romero flesh eating undead), and stop him and his followers from launching improved V-2's armed with atomic bombs.

But after I have seen videos of BOA Chapter 2 I don't think this idea is not really that exciting any more. We have already seen it in this chapter and much more. (I would not be surprised if we face undead/zombie Nazi soldiers in Chapter 3)
It feels a little like a weak imitation.

Still I wanted to show my thoughts to you guys, if just to hear what you would have thought about it.

Trying to think of new good ideas to suggest, either gameplay ones or new story/plotline ones.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I keep having the idea for a game just titled "Wolfendoom", in which, after WW2 has ended, a half-shellshocked BJB is called back into Europe to investigate several thousand people who have not been accounted for. In his investigation, he comes across a secret Thule Society project to use ritual human sacrifices to open a literal portal to hell, ala Doom. It'd be more horror mystery than action.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”