WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
saegiru

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by saegiru »

JPL wrote:
E1ite007 wrote:I have this strange bug:

I don't know if it's 'cause Brutal Doom or WadSmoosh, 'cause when I load the regular .WADs, everything works.
:?
Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with Brutal Doom to understand what the issue in this image is... a sprite or texture not showing up correctly?
It appears so - I've seen it before, and I doubt it's your mod... but it could be. What he's showing is that the final frame of the gib animation is showing as that exploding partial gibbing sprite, instead of the pile on the ground. I don't see why wadsmoosh would affect that to be honest.
E1ite007

Post by E1ite007 »

saegiru wrote:
JPL wrote:

I don't know if it's 'cause Brutal Doom or WadSmoosh, 'cause when I load the regular .WADs, everything works.
Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with Brutal Doom to understand what the issue in this image is... a sprite or texture not showing up correctly?
It appears so - I've seen it before, and I doubt it's your mod... but it could be. What he's showing is that the final frame of the gib animation is showing as that exploding partial gibbing sprite, instead of the pile on the ground. I don't see why wadsmoosh would affect that to be honest.
Well... it was neither both... it was the loading order of the things.
It was actually loading first DOOM Classic: Complete and then Brutal Doom, when Brutal Doom has to load almost at first of all other .pk3 and .WAD.
Thanks anyway, I actually never expected that someone would reply my silly issue.

Also, the Intermission Screen for Thy Flesh Consumed was missing... but I already fix it, is something in the MAPINFO of the first DOOM.
:)
JPL

Post by JPL »

saegiru wrote:
JPL wrote:

Interesting. That seems like it would be a DECORATE / actor definition issue, and WadSmoosh's internal data doesn't touch those.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

How are you loading the WadSmooshed file? Are you declaring it as the IWAD, or loading it after Brutal as a PWAD?
EtherBot

Post by EtherBot »

i think he said, didnt he?
E1ite007

Post by E1ite007 »

wildweasel wrote:How are you loading the WadSmooshed file? Are you declaring it as the IWAD, or loading it after Brutal as a PWAD?
I was loading the WadSmooshed file as a PWAD after Brutal Doom, but the fix is loading Brutal Doom after the WadSmooshed .WAD, in this way.
I don't run it as a IWAD 'cause as that way it doesn't show me the Ultimate Doom episodes, so I load the WadSmooshed file as a PWAD for Ultimate Doom.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Well that's strange - if you put your DOOM.WAD into WadSmoosh, it should be adding the episodes right in there. That's what WadSmoosh's entire purpose is.
EtherBot

Post by EtherBot »

have you tried loading those levels, (map eXmY), through the console? It's possible Doom.wad wasn't even registered by wadsmoosh.
JPL

Post by JPL »

New build up on bitbucket. Recent changes:
- use "compat_stairs" flag for TNT map30, which ZDoom.exe automatically applies for the TNT IWAD but must be manually enabled here. AFAICT this map wasn't completeable before, major oversight on my part!
- added end text for Master Levels cluster, from PlayStation Final Doom. still official-only content, feels better than just going straight to the cast screen.
- extract PNAMES and TEXTURE1 from doom2.wad for better compatibility with certain Doom2 PWADs that include (usually unnecessarily) their own PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps.
- added a commented-out "Xaser ordering" for the Master Levels in wadsmoosh_data.py. If you're hardcore enough to care about this, you shouldn't have any problem uncommenting it and changing the data needed to customize your smoosh.
- macOS/Linux shell script better supports running from non-bash shells.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Oh hey -- thanks for that. :D

Quasi-related note: I'm still extremely un-fond of alphabetic ordering (the PSN/Doom Classic Complete order is the best "official" one, IMO, since the map progression is sensible and it gets the Dr. Sleep chronology correct), but the inventory resetting is really the most important part, and you've got that. Not that my personal tweaks are difficult to make now, of course. :P

Side-question (though not a promise, just an idea I may or may not get 'round to): I know WadSmoosh is largely meant to be a config-free thing, but if I were to hypothetically contribute a patch that adds a command-line parameter for setting the desired Master Levels order, would that be a thing you'd consider accepting?
JPL

Post by JPL »

Xaser wrote:Oh hey -- thanks for that. :D

Quasi-related note: I'm still extremely un-fond of alphabetic ordering (the PSN/Doom Classic Complete order is the best "official" one, IMO, since the map progression is sensible and it gets the Dr. Sleep chronology correct), but the inventory resetting is really the most important part, and you've got that. Not that my personal tweaks are difficult to make now, of course. :P

Side-question (though not a promise, just an idea I may or may not get 'round to): I know WadSmoosh is largely meant to be a config-free thing, but if I were to hypothetically contribute a patch that adds a command-line parameter for setting the desired Master Levels order, would that be a thing you'd consider accepting?
What I've considered doing is moving the master levels ordering out of wadsmoosh_data.py into a separate, extremely simple (each map name on its own line, that's it) text file called something like masterlevels_order.txt, and generating the masterlevels MAPINFO from that. It'd be a bit more code in the core wadsmoosh.py script but it wouldn't need to change after that.
Then it would be trivial to include a file alongside it called something like masterlevels_order.txt.xaser, and people who care could copy that over the other file.
How's that sound?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I'm iffy with an approach that involves overwriting/renaming files, since that seems to me like "modify the distribution in order to customize it". It's like changing a setting by modifying gzdoom.pk3.

Still an upgrade I suppose, and that makes it easy for folks to manually order it themselves if they so wish. Either way, having it also generate the LANGUAGE defs (so map names get corrected too) would save that bit of hacking too.

Or: The above plan with a command-line switch that lets you specify the name of the order txtfile, so weirdly-picky folks like myself can specify it that way rather than rename stuff. More complex, but covers all use cases.

The shed should be pink with blue polka-dots. :P
JPL

Post by JPL »

Heh, nah that makes sense. I'd been holding off giving wadsmoosh any command line parameters, but an option for an alternate text file for master levels order is fine in that normal users don't even need to know it exists. And people could still modify the included file if they found that easier.
No ETA on this, but it should be pretty easy.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Okay, new version with this functionality is up on the bitbucket page.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Merged Lost Episodes in a Wadsmoosh. Lost Episodes no longer have their skybox. What am do?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”