Lithium 1.7.0 Beta (Apr. 17, 2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RickStrong

Re: Lithium [1.4 Update/Apr. 14]

Post by RickStrong »

Marrub wrote:oops I haven't been working on this since may
NO MATTER, PROGRESS HAS CONTINUED
Spoiler: big images
Spaceman333 wrote:Icarus made a video reviewing the mod
Someone linked me this, which is why I'm working on Lithium again, really nice video!
Fallingferret wrote:
Hellstorm Archon wrote:I do get a pickup message, but I get an error reading: "ACS: I don't know what..." and I don't get the plasma rifle.
Keep in mind, I'm not running my version with Lithium Extras.
RickStrong wrote:I too am having problems with the plasma rifle, where it gives an odd string when I pick it up and it does not actually appear in my weapon roster. Is this just a problem with GZDoom?

Other than that I am absolutely loving this mod and am so so so excited to see its updates.
It sounds like you're on a newer zdoom build. Is it this? https://github.com/marrub--/Lithium/issues/50

Running Lithium on a pre-QZ1.2/GZ2.3 build seems to be working 100% still.
I have no idea why this happens. This is potentially fixed now, either due to something I did or something done in the engine, as I haven't come across it in testing recently.
Holy shit so excited, thank you so much for continuing working on this. Aside from that plasma rifle glitch, which I think may be fixed in new update or using ZDoom 2.8.1 instead of GZDoom (???), everything about this mod is making it one of my favorite of all time.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Okay, I messed up last time; here's the error log for Lithium! (spoilered due to length)
Spoiler:
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

AvzinElkein wrote:Okay, I messed up last time; here's the error log for Lithium! (spoilered due to length)
Doesn't look like there's anything wrong there. The game still runs, right? The self pointer "errors" are not fixable, yell at Graf to change that. :P
RickStrong wrote:Holy shit so excited, thank you so much for continuing working on this. Aside from that plasma rifle glitch, which I think may be fixed in new update or using ZDoom 2.8.1 instead of GZDoom (???), everything about this mod is making it one of my favorite of all time.
Thanks!
Korell wrote:A LITH_TXT type issue happens on the Upgrades menu, too. Beneath Omega Railgun there is written the following text (I say beneath, but the text is large enough for it to overlap the Omega Railgun item):

LITH_TXT_UPGRADE_TITLE_Lith_PauseManager

Watching the Doom Mod Madness video from Mr Icarus, it shows that this text shouldn't be present at all. Is it related to the PlasmaRifle pickup issue mentioned above? I'm also using GZDoom 3.1.0.

EDIT: Actually, I think it is related to the Lithium Extras. If I don't load that with the mod then this option isn't present, which is probably how it was played by Mr Icarus. If I do include it and start a new game it shows up as what looks like a secret weapon named just ??????? (I'm guessing it is the BFG upgrade). But at some point it changes to the LITH_TXT_... message as per my saved game.

EDIT 2: The text changes on each level change (which might be why I don't see it when starting a new game). Just completed two levels in the map pack I'm using and the text changed to the following on each new level:
LITH_TXT_UPGRADE_TITLE_pk7/lcode/Main/src/p_settings.c
LITH_TXT_UPGRADE_TITLE_RLFormerHumanPistol
I...
What
Could you go to the github page and download a development version (as detailed in the readme below) and tell me if any such bugs still persist? That is absolutely friggin' strange, and I really don't know how I'd fix it, especially since I still haven't been able to reproduce it.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Well, I downloaded the current dev build and got some odd results.

Firstly, the dev build doesn't play nice with the Lithium Extras, so I'm guessing they've been incorporated into the main PK7. So I disabled the Lithium Extras in my launcher whilst using the dev build.

Secondly, on the first attempt at running the game it was very weird. The HUD was red and with some symbols instead of the green HUD with ARM and VIT headings. The Upgrades menu still had some odd LITH_TXT displayed, but this time at the top, underneath where it says Body.

I quit out and loaded it up with the Doom2 WAD, no map pack this time, and it was fine. So I went back to using the map pack (Doom 2 Reloaded) and this time it was fine. No idea what happened to the weird looking red HUD. I even completed a level and checked the Upgrades menu again, and no change.

So, whilst there were some initial issues, I couldn't reproduce them.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Korell wrote:Well, I downloaded the current dev build and got some odd results.

Firstly, the dev build doesn't play nice with the Lithium Extras, so I'm guessing they've been incorporated into the main PK7. So I disabled the Lithium Extras in my launcher whilst using the dev build.

Secondly, on the first attempt at running the game it was very weird. The HUD was red and with some symbols instead of the green HUD with ARM and VIT headings. The Upgrades menu still had some odd LITH_TXT displayed, but this time at the top, underneath where it says Body.

I quit out and loaded it up with the Doom2 WAD, no map pack this time, and it was fine. So I went back to using the map pack (Doom 2 Reloaded) and this time it was fine. No idea what happened to the weird looking red HUD. I even completed a level and checked the Upgrades menu again, and no change.

So, whilst there were some initial issues, I couldn't reproduce them.
Sounds like you were using the unfinished Cybermage class accidentally, which has actual missing strings (as opposed to the magical wtf-randomly-misplaced strings that people keep getting with 1.4.)
In that case, it should be fixed.. somehow. I didn't really do anything that would have fixed it. :D
Korell

Post by Korell »

Yes, just booting it back up and selecting the Cybermage class did give me that red HUD with the symbols, and the different looking pistol, so that's what it was. Shame I can't use my existing saves with the dev build, though. I'll have to switch back to 1.4 to continue the map pack.
N1ch0l2s

Post by N1ch0l2s »

Been playing Doom II with this and Maps of Chaos and the Plasma Rifle seemingly turns into an error and I'm not given it at all. I tried picking the one up from The Waste Tunnels (MAP05) but it just disappeared. What is the Plasma Rifle replaced with and does it require something before it being picked up?

EDIT: Alright just noticed that others had this problem too, but why does it have to do with the engine/launcher version? I'm playing with GZDoom v3.1.0 and was kind of disappointed I didn't get the replacement of the Plasma Rifle.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

To anyone having issues with the plasma rifle-either marathon your way through the map until you get one (loading saves after you pick the rifle up will only bug out the pickups), or buy the Plasma Diffuser fromthe shop.
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

This is really good. I love the weapons and the upgrades sound awesome. But I can't access any of them. The shadow doomguys won't spawn and I have tried to out on doom 1 and 2 maps. Can anyone give me a console command to summon them. I really want to try out the upgrades.
Also The Cannon seems to a bit lonely as the only weapon in the number 7 slot, while the rest have at least two weapons. Maybe add something new, like a huge Chaingun or something.
Anyway great Mod. Can't wait for the next update.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

You know, what kind of irks me is that there's a whole universe behind this mod, but it's only touched on in flavor text. The orders from OFMD simply crap out mid-campaign with no explanation. Given this backstory the motive behind Lithium should really be more than just “kill demons, get score, buy stuff, kill more demons”.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

TootsyBowl wrote:You know, what kind of irks me is that there's a whole universe behind this mod, but it's only touched on in flavor text. The orders from OFMD simply crap out mid-campaign with no explanation. Given this backstory the motive behind Lithium should really be more than just “kill demons, get score, buy stuff, kill more demons”.
Yeah, I love the lore behind this mod, it's honestly one of my favorite parts of it; the things I look forward to most in new versions is not the new weapons and mods themselves, but the extra lore they inevitably bring to the table. On that note, it makes me cry that the plasma pistol upgrade has absolutely no lore for it, and some of the shop weapons don't have particularly interesting lore either. The revolver in particular is disappointing; sure, I don't need to know more than that it's from Earth and fires teflon-coated .50 AE rounds, but I want to know more! I want to know who manufactured it, I want to know why they're manufacturing revolvers a couple thousand years into the future, all of these things are not important but I would really like to know them just to have the pleasure of knowing them.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Ts879 wrote:This is really good. I love the weapons and the upgrades sound awesome. But I can't access any of them. The shadow doomguys won't spawn and I have tried to out on doom 1 and 2 maps. Can anyone give me a console command to summon them. I really want to try out the upgrades.
That's weird.
Spoiler: how they get spawned
I've been thinking of adding a mission completion percentage as an alternate way to get the CBI upgrades, so if you're unlucky or running a single, huge map it'll still work out. It would probably be increased by the current map number, how many enemies you've destroyed, how long you've taken on a map, etc.
Ts880 wrote:Also The Cannon seems to a bit lonely as the only weapon in the number 7 slot, while the rest have at least two weapons. Maybe add something new, like a huge Chaingun or something.
Anyway great Mod. Can't wait for the next update.
I like that idea, hehe. I'll think of somethin' to put there.

Also, sorry to everyone that's been waiting for taking so long. Been working on other stuff and haven't had much motivation even for that. Been poking this here and there, and now I think I have a bit more idea of what I want to do. I'll be finishing up the new class' weapons soon, and releasing a 1.5 beta, since it would simply take too long to finish the class completely.
He doesn't have any unique upgrades yet (besides his HUD) and is quite unpolished, but I'd like to get something out there since I've apparently fixed pretty critical bugs accidentally.
TootsyBowl wrote:You know, what kind of irks me is that there's a whole universe behind this mod, but it's only touched on in flavor text. The orders from OFMD simply crap out mid-campaign with no explanation. Given this backstory the motive behind Lithium should really be more than just “kill demons, get score, buy stuff, kill more demons”.
There is a chronological sequel which is both incomplete and unfortunately ded (and also predates this mod.)
I'll also have to remove those text screens because they don't make sense with the new character. :D
twinkieman93 wrote:Yeah, I love the lore behind this mod, it's honestly one of my favorite parts of it;
Thanks a lot. :D
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Loaded Doom II and this mod with it, but I got a few errors: https://imgur.com/a/zK8mT
Marrub

Re: Lithium [1.5 Alpha/Jul. 7]

Post by Marrub »

Version 1.5 Alpha (Pegmatite) has been released. Download
This update includes an as of now unfinished playerclass, bugfixes, and some other cool stuff.

Changes:
Spoiler:
I apologize if the update is underwhelming for some. I've been having issues lately and working on this mod has been lower priority, so I wanted to formally release what I have now (having made it at least playable.)
My current plans are to finish Cyber-Mage's weapons, add more monster mechanics, and further utilize ZScript extensions.
Also, sorry for no preview image this time. I'll save that for when the full version is done. :P
twinkieman93

Re: Lithium [1.5 Alpha/Jul. 7]

Post by twinkieman93 »

I do enjoy what is here, at least. The pistol is great, I like the not-SSG, the SMG is really nice, the ion rifle is cool(despite what I assume are placeholder graphics), and the star destroyer is... it's pretty awesome, haha. I even cheated myself in the Delear spell and it's pretty cool, too(just wish you could refresh your projectile stock mid... "magazine"). I have loads of questions though!

-Will magic run off of some kind of mana pool or is it infinite?
-Will you pick magic up from the environment or will these be shop items? Maybe the phantoms will drop them rather than cyber upgrades?
-Are there going to be more than three spells? For a mage that feels like a disappointingly small number of spells.
-Is this going to be Psychic style where you use magic and guns simultaneously? Delear did seem pretty hands-off as far as casting went...
-Is the reason he's lacking a bunch of cybernetic options due to being a mage? You cited Shadowrun as an inspiration for this so I wonder if that is just how he is rather than a symptom of alpha-ness, what with preserving his essence and stuff.
-Is the lack of spells due to planned magical body upgrades that do other cool stuff? Maybe one that makes him phase through projectiles when he dashes.
-It seemed like you can buy the extra weapons the Marine gets. Is that going to stay the case or is that changing?
-Will his weapons be upgradeable? If so, will the upgrades be more magical in nature due to who he is, or along the same lines as the Marine's upgrades?
-Is there any chance you'll rename the Marine the Cybersoldier for parity's sake? :V
-Are there any other classes planned post Cybermage or is that the end of the line?
Spoiler: One moooore thing...
EDIT: Just found a pretty nasty bug while playing through the game as the marine. My injector kicked in while I was using the rocket launcher and the gun froze up, stuck mid-fire animation doing absolutely nothing. I couldn't switch off of the gun either, I was helpless. While I have no idea if it was relevant or not I had the homing mod installed.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”