Rise Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.3 + Soundtrack)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MSPaintR0cks

Re: Rise Of The Wool Ball v1.2

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

Aah, there still were a few bugs :D
Just fixed these and released a new v1.2 :3:

Fixes this time:
  • Fence at the lava in E2M1 is not passable anymore
  • that tiny blue pixel in E2`s skybox is gone
  • changed "v1.1" to "v1.2" in the GAMEINFO file... totally forgot about that the first time
  • some spikes did not appear in E2M1 on Easy, now they do
  • little buggy floor-fan portion northeast in E3M1 fixed
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:Yet another bug report, this time from E3M1:https://my.mixtape.moe/fdhpdc.mp4
The bug was also in 1.1, and I used Freeze mode and God mode to record it.
Aaah, never noticed that! In earlier alpha versions, there was another platform there, which had enemies standing on it. Later I decided to remove it.
Fixed that! :D
NightFright wrote:Two quick things about the new release:

1) GAMEINFO included in rotwb.wad still states v1.1.

2) You still get the error "NJWaterSplashBase is not an Actor (in splash Water)". This is because there is no actor defined with that name anywhere in DECORATE. You only have NJCoreSplashChunk and NJWaterSplashChunk there. I figured that the correct definition for the TERRAIN lump must be this, then:

Code: Select all

splash Water
{
	smallclass	  NJCoreSplashChunk
	smallclip		12
	smallsound	  world/watersplashsmall

baseclass		NJCoreSplashChunk
	chunkclass	  NJWaterSplashChunk
	chunkxvelshift	8
	chunkyvelshift	8
	chunkzvelshift	8
	chunkbasezvel	 2
	sound			   world/watersplash
	NoAlert
}
So basically, replace both NJWaterSplashBase entries in TERRAIN (smallclass/baseclass) with NJCoreSplashChunk. That should get rid of the warning. (Alternatively, you could rename the NJCoreSplashChunk entries in DECORATE to NJWaterSplashBase, but in the end, it's the same thing.)
Quickly fixed the GAMEINFO one.
Tried fixing the actor issue here... sadly it did nothing. I wonder what`s going on there. D:
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Rise Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.2 now compatible with GZDoo

Post by NightFright »

Basically, it's the same problem again with a different actor name. Now it is
NJCoreSplashBase is not an Actor (in splash Water)

NJWaterSplashBase and NJCoreSplashBase have one thing in common: Both do not exist in DECORATE. I don't know how TERRAIN definitions work exactly, but you have to put something in smallclass and baseclass that actually exists.

You only have two water splash actors defined in DECORATE:
NJCoreSplashChunk
NJWaterSplashChunk (which inherits from NJCoreSplashChunk)

As you can see, there is nothing containing the "Base" phrase here anywhere, so ofc it cannot be found.

Considering this example from terrain.txt in gzdoom.pk3, smallclass and baseclass should be identical:

Code: Select all

splash Water
{
	smallclass		WaterSplashBase
	smallclip		12
	smallsound		world/drip

baseclass		WaterSplashBase
	chunkclass		WaterSplash
	chunkxvelshift	8
	chunkyvelshift	8
	chunkzvelshift	8
	chunkbasezvel	2
	sound			world/watersplash
}
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Having Trouble finding the download for 1.2. Can you update the links?

From what I've played of this, it's a really solid, fun shooter.

I love the varied enemies this time. Those Helikitties are really my favorite enemy of the game.

And that first boss:
Spoiler:
more in-depth analysis will follow soon. I wanna make sure I have the latest version :D
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

SanyaWaffles wrote:Having Trouble finding the download for 1.2. Can you update the links?
Under the word "Download" on the first post?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I had time to play the first episode now and gotta say it's absolutely outstanding. The levels look (even) better, the jump pads are fun, allowing a more "vertical" gameplay (just like they did back in ROTT), and there are always little new funny scenes to discover. I like this cartoony style and honestly cannot get enough of it, therefore I am already afraid of reaching the end of the game. If this doesn't get a Cacoward this year, I'd be surprised and quite disappointed!

What could still be added (possibly for the sequel): Boss health meter! Since the bosses really take quite some damage, it would be nice to see how fast you progress with the fight.

At the beginning of E1M5, I get this error message ingame in GZDoom v3.1:
PathFollower 10: Path needs at least 2 nodes

BTW: What I like especially is that you rescue prisoners now by using the "use" key instead of wasting ammo (which still works, though). Maybe this is a change that should retroactively be applied to SOTWB, too. It makes a lot more sense this way! Also good that you don't die instantly any more when you hit barbed wire walls. Also a frustrating thing from the predecessor.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I should probably call this to your attention.

wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wolfmanfp »

NightFright wrote: BTW: What I like especially is that you rescue prisoners now by using the "use" key instead of wasting ammo (which still works, though). Maybe this is a change that should retroactively be applied to SOTWB, too. It makes a lot more sense this way! Also good that you don't die instantly any more when you hit barbed wire walls. Also a frustrating thing from the predecessor.
I just tried SOTWB, and I could use the "use" key on prisoners.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Interesting, then I guess I just never tried it because I thought it wouldn't work. I guess you can forget about that request! ^^
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ahhh, Nyes it's here. Glad i could help with the feedback and explosion graphics that i kinda like. It's been a pleasure and i'll be waiting for more work!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

NightFright wrote: At the beginning of E1M5, I get this error message ingame in GZDoom v3.1:
PathFollower 10: Path needs at least 2 nodes
Similar to that issue, at the beginning of E3M5:
PathFollower 138: Path needs at least 2 nodes

Besides that:
I thought that the ep.2 boss fight was quite hard, with you having to stay clear of obstacles and trying to evade projectiles since otherwise, you wouldn't be able to recover health so easily. Maybe more health packs should have been available (or I was able to successfully avoid all that were there, not sure). Anyway, the other boss fights were easy compared to that one, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, now that I have completed the game, thanks a lot for another AMAZING experience! This looked and felt even more professionally done than SOTWB. Its visual design is creative, the story is smart and the characters are cute. A must-play wad for pretty much everybody this year, as far as I can tell!

You have just received a humble donation for your remarkable efforts, my friend!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

NightFright wrote:I thought that the ep.2 boss fight was quite hard, with you having to stay clear of obstacles and trying to evade projectiles since otherwise, you wouldn't be able to recover health so easily. Maybe more health packs should have been available (or I was able to successfully avoid all that were there, not sure). Anyway, the other boss fights were easy compared to that one, at least in my opinion.
Some tips for ya; You can shoot down his projectiles and speed yourself down during the skateboarding.

I thought 2nd boss is very hard, and i guess i was not the only one. Heh.
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gyro

Post by Gyro »

Holy crap there's a second one, hell yeah! :3

This looks really good, I'll give it a try when I get home from work later.

(Fun facts, MSPaintrocks offered to let me beta test it but I didn't log in to the ZDoom forums for like four months so I didn't see the private message ;_; RIP me)
Zan

Post by Zan »

This is awesomely well made, can see a lot of effort and inspiration went into it.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I just came on over from the ICARUSLIV3S video review of this map pack. This looks amazing and very well down keep up the good work I hope to see more episodes. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvhGeeTD28A
harrythewolf

Post by harrythewolf »

omg yes~
loved the first one a lot, and this second part is way better. I hope you make a third part sometime :3
something i noticed is that in the boss where you have to race him in a skateboard the cucumber launcher and the "pooping bird" does not function correctly.

Also did this as entertainment http://sta.sh/0c1tcqdoof4

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”