Bad games to avoid...

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Bad games to avoid...

Post by Oberron »

Another PC conversion that is a bit unplayable is GTA IV. Sure, the graphics still look great, but the framerate... Jesus on a bicycle, it's so horrible. It runs at 10-20 FPS most of the time if you have a really poor PC that runs Windows XP and has 2.0 GHz, you still get that even with a 512 MB graphics card. Excuse me, I'm a bit fuzzy on that, but I wanted to say it anyway.

Next one on my list is Vigilance (1998), that game is meh (a bit meh, but still a mixed bag), as it's PC's answer to GoldenEye... but the default view is third-person. Why can't it be first-person? Overall, it's meh.

And finally: Hybrid (1997). While having a two year development cycle, this mixed bag of Playstation's toughest FPS comes in. Originally titled Psalm 69 early in development, and changed to Hybrid a year later, this FPS is what if you put Doom, Hexen, Quake and a British developer that also did Ford Racing, you might realize that game's gonna be great, right? Right from the get-go, you could hear some cheesy voice acting from the character you just selected, and it gets progressively tougher level to level. It's like comparing Doom's Ultra-Violence to Quake's Hard, and the levels take 13-50 minutes if you know where to go. Overall, it's just... try that again, Elite!
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Another new bad game to avoid: Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight

Reasons:

- The gameplay itself does not felt like a C&C game
- There is no resource gathering and basebuilding, instead it replaced with Crawlers and Point capture
- Weak storyline and short campaign
- Always on internet connection for the entire game which requires the player to be online at all times and which will lead to a loss of progress if the connection is lost, even playing on Single-player
- Unbalanced multiplayer
- The Scrin faction (playable in C&C3) is no longer playable
- Population Cap, older C&C games don't have that
- Even worse, the game itself is being a forced and rushed redesigned version of the cancelled Command & Conquer: Arena

Avoid this game and play the old C&C games instead. I miss Westwood Studios.
Last edited by skyrish10 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

skyrish10 wrote:I miss Westwood Studios.
I hear you. They made some great games; some f my favourites ever.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Agentbromsnor wrote:I love the Devil May Cry games, but I don't think that besides that horrible port of DMC 3 they released any other PC port. Or did they?

It's frustrating to me because most of these Japanese games have a huge fan-base and you would think that with a big franchise it would be easy to outsource a company to create a proper PC release.
DMC4 has a PC port too, and apparently it is optimized much better than the DMC3's one.
And I hope Capcom stops with outsourcing finally. They outsourced DmC to British developer, and that resulted in a turd of a game. Never again, please.
Last edited by shotfan on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Oberron wrote:Another PC conversion that is a bit unplayable is GTA IV. Sure, the graphics still look great, but the framerate... Jesus on a bicycle, it's so horrible. It runs at 10-20 FPS most of the time if you have a really poor PC that runs Windows XP and has 2.0 GHz, you still get that even with a 512 MB graphics card. Excuse me, I'm a bit fuzzy on that, but I wanted to say it anyway.
GTA IV requires at least a quad core CPU. I had an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 which ran the game at about 30 FPS while my friend who had a Core 2 Quad Q6600 had about 60 FPS. It's games such as GTA 4 and bad operating systems like Windows Vista which helped get us out of the stone age that Windows XP had us settled in with specs such as a single core, 3.2GHz~ processor with 2GB of RAM.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

You like top-down action games? I do, very much! This one came to my attention around 1992, and for a short time, I kinda liked it, but it lost its flavor eventually.

Into the Eagle's Nest

What's your opinion about classic movies? This game was based on the world-famous Where eagles dare. That movie is a true masterpiece, it has action, drama, suspense, treachery, and great acting. So there HAD to be a game based on the movie, right? The developers of Mindscape decided to make one, and they failed miserably. This game is yet another classic example that movie-based games turn out to be a HUGE disappointment and utter garbage, not the Atari version of E.T. was the only one.

The game had 2 distinct versions. The first one had only 1 castle, and was a free gift along with another PC game, The Amazing Spider-man. The second one had 2 castles. What? TWO Eagle's nests? Yup. Guess Mindscape was trying really hard to surmound the movie. I'd love to see Clint Eastwood face when Colonel Kramer exclaims "Your friend is in another castle" :D

Well anyways, the game starts off right at the front gate, so the first 1 hour of the movie is completely omitted from the game. No paradrop, hiding in the hut at the mountains, sabotaging the ammo depot, sticking around in Werfen or entering the castle thru the tram, like in the movie. No. You start right at the front gate, and you can even pick up the key right there. Surprised? Get used to it, there is absolutely no stealth approach, sneaking, or espionage stuff in the game whatsoever.
As I said, this is a top-down shooter. You begin at the front gate with the mission to rescue a prisoner. The Eagle's nest has 4 floors alltogether, and you get to find the prisoner. You have a machinegun with 99 bullets, and that's all. If you run out of ammo, you're dogmeat, there is no melee weapon or anything. Most floors has plenty of ammo, but on some others, ammo is sparse, so if you choose the wrong way and can't secure a room with supplies, you might as well start over. Also if you collect more ammo than you can carry, it'll simply disappear.

Fighting in this game is fuckin' pathetic. The enemy soldiers NEVER EVER use their guns, they just walk into you, this is the only way they can cause any damage. They don't even attack or act on their own, so essentially the whole thing is a damn shootin' gallery. Open door, kill Nazis, onto the next room. Some rooms have officers as well, but they don't react to you at all, just sit at a table. You can't interact with any of them, just shoot them for some points, much like cardboard cut-outs. Wow, it was really important to program an enemy profile with so little role. And that's it for enemies, this is all you'll get.

Animations and graphics are boring and crappy. Every level in both castles has the same floor and wall graphics, there is absolutely no scenery change anywhere whatsoever, so you'll get eyesore pretty quickly. As for the animations, they range from poor to nonexistent. The muzzleflash is just 2 pixels, And yes, there were games with much better animations in 1987.

Once you leave a floor, rescue the prisoner and return, EVERYTHING will be back. Enemies, objects, doors, everything. So by the time you rescue all 3 prisoners, you'll be going thru the whole castle 6-7 times, even if you know right away, where they are. The final mission is to blow up the castle, which forces you to visit all 4 floors again, and activate a detonator on each level. During this time you'll notice that the score-o-meter has overflowed and glitched out. And typing your name in the high score list is a pain in the arse.

The game has some potential, however. You can collect objects which give you points, shoot boxes open and find either jewels or explosives (which kill you right away if you shoot them), you can also shoot objects and destroy them, the main theme is pretty catchy, sound effects are OK, and the ending picture also looks nice. If the game would have been shorter, had more variety, or followed the actual movie, I wouldn't say it is bad.
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

Hey check out this video

Video by Game Sack

There are some bad games found on the Sega Genesis and it's addons, most notably Black Hole Assault, Heavy Nova and of course Beast Wrestler (Beast Warriors in Japan) which is the worst fighting game ever

And of course, as the title of the video says, those bad games should have been only in Japan and not anywhere else
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Everything shown here.

Cut-price Mario! Cut-price Spider-Man! Cut-price GTA! Cut-price bloody everything really!
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I wonder if any of those games managed to wash any bills clean for the mafia.
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

Wiw wrote:Everything shown here.

Cut-price Mario! Cut-price Spider-Man! Cut-price GTA! Cut-price bloody everything really!
Well you can literally find anywhere in the Google Play Store, there's alot of it

Speaking of GTA Ripoffs, here's a video about GTA ripoffs

Video by Jerma985

All these games featured in the video should avoid at all cost.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

007: The World is Not Enough (GBC):

Sure, the N64 version was great and all, but what about the Gameboy Color version? Right off the bat, a poor representation of the Gunbarrel we all know and love, some 8 bit music that is quite meh, and the sound is just...I dunno. There are some digitized sounds here and there but every time you hit a enemy, be prepared to hear that "urgh" grunt sound a lot. They took everything from that version and added a password system that doesn't do anything than annoy you. The final level has got to be the most annoying level in the whole game. This gets a 2.8/10 for me. Get the N64 version, it's superior.
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

Oberron wrote:007: The World is Not Enough (GBC):

Get the N64 version, it's superior.
Or the PlayStation version (it has FMV cutscenes in the PSX version, but alas it cannot be shown on YouTube due to MGM block the video worldwide), for that matter.
Last edited by skyrish10 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

Might as well throw my hat into this ring :)

Super Battletank 2 on SNES - Yeah, you've probably never heard of it. I didn't until I got it for about $3 at a flea market. Needless to say, it's obscure for a very good reason. The visuals overall look pretty nice, but it controls like utter crap - it controls about as well as you'd expect a tank simulator on SNES to control. I could never get past the first level because the control scheme was so obtuse.

Half of Super Mario Sunshine. On the whole, I'd say Sunshine is a good game - the first half of it, anyway. Going for 100% in this game makes it nosedive from a pretty good 3D platformer into shit city. The secret shine sprites will put you through some of the most frustrating and unnecessarily difficult missions ever devised in a Mario game, and the blue coin hunt... dear god the blue coin hunt. If you play Sunshine, don't bother going for 100% completion. Save your sanity and just do the required missions.

Super Mario Bros. 2 - The Lost Levels. This game feels like a bad rom hack of the first SMB. The levels are pretty much designed to constantly dick you over, and the number of "oops, you scrolled the screen too far and can't backtrack to that spring to get enough height to clear this gap" moments is enough to drive one to drink.

Metroid Other M. One might see this as an easy target, and one might be right. Let me put it to you this way: This game was so bad, it put the entire Metroid series into a seven year long coma (Federation Force doesn't count). It wasn't until this year the series finally recovered from the Other M hangover and got a new game.
Orangewaggs

Post by Orangewaggs »

Quadruplesword wrote: Metroid Other M. One might see this as an easy target, and one might be right. Let me put it to you this way: This game was so bad, it put the entire Metroid series into a seven year long coma (Federation Force doesn't count). It wasn't until this year the series finally recovered from the Other M hangover and got a new game.
IMO the gameplay was good for a 3d metroid game, the story was downright awful though.
While the "mother may I" with the items was pretty bad the combat was pretty good once you got the hand of it.
I will give samus returns the credit of being a revitalizing game, the difficulty curve and lack of feeling like any previous 2d metroid games (super, ZM, to a lesser extent fusion) with the lack of sequence breaking, it was good.
Although there are far worse series droughts than metroid at this point that may never be remedied, M:oM still did it's job for me in terms of a metroid game. Far better than Metroid prime 3 and the dumb amount of motion gimmicks it had.
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

Quadruplesword wrote: Super Mario Bros. 2 - The Lost Levels. This game feels like a bad rom hack of the first SMB. The levels are pretty much designed to constantly dick you over, and the number of "oops, you scrolled the screen too far and can't backtrack to that spring to get enough height to clear this gap" moments is enough to drive one to drink.
Oh, is that the one version of Super Mario Bros. 2, the one was previously Japan-only and never made stateside due to difficulty?

The actual Super Mario Bros. 2 in the US is actually a modified version of Yume Kojo Doki Doki Panic and despite the changes, it's a great game.

Return to “Off-Topic”