SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 Beta 1 (24/May/2017)

Post by Gez »

Do you have a a SLADE3 folder in %APPDATA%? If so rename or delete it, and try launching SLADE again.
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

Are you sure you installed the correct versions of everything required to run it? Sounds like a file is incompatible and causes the dysfunction.
GraveUypo

Post by GraveUypo »

Gez wrote:Do you have a a SLADE3 folder in %APPDATA%? If so rename or delete it, and try launching SLADE again.
apparently not. nothing came up.
ZzZombo wrote:Are you sure you installed the correct versions of everything required to run it? Sounds like a file is incompatible and causes the dysfunction.
well, it should be all correct since it was slade's own installer that installed them. tried installing them manually to no avail. but i assume it might be the cause for this too. i just don't know what to do about it
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

A little thing with the built-in text editor, it feels the "highlight selected text" might be a bit too sensitive.
While typing a simple "B" I end up with this

Shouldn't it wait to have at least 3 chars selected to start looking for matches? Feels like overkill with such a small selection (which isn't actually selected). Of course if this is intentional, nothing to see here.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

GraveUypo wrote:
Gez wrote:Do you have a a SLADE3 folder in %APPDATA%? If so rename or delete it, and try launching SLADE again.
ZzZombo wrote:Are you sure you installed the correct versions of everything required to run it? Sounds like a file is incompatible and causes the dysfunction.
well, it should be all correct since it was slade's own installer that installed them. tried installing them manually to no avail. but i assume it might be the cause for this too. i just don't know what to do about it
What version of Windows are you running? Also, does slade3.log show up in the %APPDATA%\SLADE3 folder Gez mentioned?
Hetdegon wrote:A little thing with the built-in text editor, it feels the "highlight selected text" might be a bit too sensitive.
While typing a simple "B" I end up with this
(image)

Shouldn't it wait to have at least 3 chars selected to start looking for matches? Feels like overkill with such a small selection (which isn't actually selected). Of course if this is intentional, nothing to see here.
Yeah it could do with some tweaks - I'll probably add an artificial delay and minimum character count at some point.
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Lud wrote:Pressing the "Save" button when done editing a text file doesn't always save the file and clicking on any other file opens the save prompt window. Sometimes asks twice after I've pressed "Yes". Really irritating. Don't know how to reproduce.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open .txt file.
2. Edit in any way.
3. Ctrl+S. When asked if you wanna save, click save.
4. Click on another file.
5. Window pops up again asking for confirmation. Pressing the "Save" button does nothing.
I can confirm this bug. Whenever I edit a file and click Save, it doesn't actually save the file, same with CTRL+S. It get the confirmation window, on which I hit yes. Only if I then click on another file, I will be able to save properly.
I am on Windows 10. It happens in Beta 1 and Beta 2.
Hetdegon

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 Beta 2 (7/Jun/2017)

Post by Hetdegon »

Yeah something is kinda off.
When I do something in the text editor and save, the changes are saved, (running the folder in gzdoom confirms it's changed), but when I switch to another text file to edit, SLADE still marks it as changed (blue color with my settings) even if no further changes have been made. This is with latest git on linux.
GraveUypo

Post by GraveUypo »

sirjuddington wrote:
GraveUypo wrote:
What version of Windows are you running? Also, does slade3.log show up in the %APPDATA%\SLADE3 folder Gez mentioned?
there's no slade3 folder in %appdata%
i'm on windows 10, and i've tried multiple versions of slade (all of which used to work before). this is really annoying. i wish it at least gave me an error, but it doesn't even do that.

[edit] Nevermind! i fixed it.
uninstalled every single .net package and visual c++ redis, downloaded everything again manually and now it works.
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Hmm, I can't get the "Rename Map" entry in the map editor to do anything. Is this not implemented yet?
(On linux 64b, current git as of today)
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

For me 3.1.2 beta 2 has a nasty side effect when saving.

Changing, for example a text file, in 3.1.1.5 and then saving the changes and saving the wad closes Slade3.
3.1.2 beta 2, instead of closing at that point, keeps on saving for several more steps and then closes.
Sometimes even more than the 3 steps as in the video.
Spoiler:
So, for the time being I have to stay with 3.1.1.5 .

[edit]
Ha, here I thought that I found a bug
but it was already reported by Lud. :shock:
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

For me slade is and has always been a rather unstable experience. After using it for a bit it will no longer be able to play sound-files by pressing play - I'll have to restart the editor to regain the ability to. And if I open a single large file (150+mb) or multiple medium large files the editor will be quite prone to lock up and crash. Is this a common problem? I only use Slade3 for the wad/pk3 import/export files and modifying decorate, mapinfo etc. (not using the map-editor)
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

The new drawing features on SLADE simply don't seem to work whatsoever. I select a color, click Draw Pixel, click, aaaaandddd nothing happens. Tried converting from png to graphic lmp, no good.

EDIT: Also, I hope you intend to add a button to create a new blank image file to draw in. : P
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Spoiler:
How do I get Slade3 to run the map so it starts with the archived map?
Whatever I try, highlight the map and/or juggle the parameters, GZDoom starts with MAP01.
How would that work with a multi-map pwad?
Gez

Post by Gez »

When you run from the lump editor, not from the map editor, then it tests the entire archive instead of just the level.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Hmmm, map editor only.
Thx Gez.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”