Soft sprite clipping

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Soft sprite clipping

Post by Caligari87 »

Like Nash suggested, +SoftClip would work for things like particle effects. If the idea is to be expanded to allow software-style "sprite in floor" rendering, then +NoClip could be default. +Hardclip could render sprites like hardware does now, cut off if they go into geometry.

8-)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

+NoClip is already a flag used for actor physics.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

+DoomClip, +CarmackClip or +SillyClip maybe ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Demmit! you can't just say c-l-i-p three times without there being consequences.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Looks like we clipped right into a relic, there.
Nash

Post by Nash »

So there's two things being suggested here, both using similar depth testing techniques...

1) OP soft clipping for special effects (smoke fire etc): per-actor flag (would be a modding feature)
2) Sprite-in-floor rendering (affects everything I guess?): user renderer option

Now, I wonder what would happen if the user activates sprite-in-floor and plays a mod with soft-clipped special effect sprites...
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Soft clipping should always override sprite in floor. Likewise a +Hardclip would override any user option, including the current ones that try move sprites out of floors.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Now that I've been able to read the thread properly and look at this feature more widely, it certainly would allow particle-like effects to look much better. If it also provided an alternative way to push spites into the floor, that would also be cool.

I have to say though, now that I'm so used to sprites standing on the floor, the slight parallaxy effect you get when you move around sprites that extend into the floor looks obvious and weird to me now.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

If this can really be implemented that's vairynaiiice. I was always hesitant to use any sort of sprite-based mist due to the nasty clipping that would occur if the actors drifted too close to a wall, and just thinking of all the cases where that problem could be fixed is very exciting.
Bauul

Post by Bauul »

Sorry for the necro bump, but just wondering if anything ever become of this? As Rachel said, the implications for it are pretty huge.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I experimented a bit with the sprite-in-floor rendering in one of my experimental renderers and ended up concluding this idea doesn't work. I ended up getting a few rare situations where sprites appeared in front of walls/sectors that they were supposed to be clipped by.

As for soft sprite clipping (what Nash originally wanted), nobody has committed any work to that as far as I know.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

This seems like a lot of work with not a whole lot of interest in it from the developer's side.

It may eventually happen, but it's currently not planned, and for now and to stop the necro-bump-pestering, I am closing this.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Seconded for this reason: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=66904
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Was this bump really necessary?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Ugh... excuses, I just saw the date of this thread. Had a different feeling about the "activity" when reading Nash's answer in my thread. So I guess this is still No'ed?

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”