Nameless Lite RPG Mod 1.6.0 New spell system

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TechnoDoomed1

Re: Nameless Lite RPG Mod 1.6.0 New spell system

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

monkeybtm6 wrote:Im going to have to fix all these script overflow bugs people are getting i feel, will require extensive recoding of the entire experience system though so do bare with me.
I've played other RPG mods that relied on ACS_ExecuteAlway / ACS_NamedExecuteAlways before, including my own, and never had the problem people are complaining here about, even if 1000+ monsters died at the same time. :) The computer did not even freeze, slow or overflow. Indeed I just tested Lite RPG with "kill monsters" on several slaughtermaps, and the mod ran flawlessly.

May it be that, somehow, a faulty script / function is giving too much XP and the player's leveling without control? Either that or the calculation of Nextlevel is giving a very low number. I've been reviewing the code posted on GitHub and it seems plausible given this snippet of code:

Code: Select all

While(CheckInventory("Experience") >= Nextlevel && LVL <= Maxlevel)
{
		GiveInventory("Playerlevel", 1);
		TakeInventory("Experience",Nextlevel);

}
It would also explain if XP is absurdly high why after killing an enemy the computer hangs for a moment, as the loop is processed several times in a row.

EDIT:
Indeed it happened just as I expected. Playing with Brutal Doom v19 vanilla I got to reproduce the error. Sometimes after killing a monster, the Nextlevel variable is set to 0 which causes the runaway script and max leveling. :wink: Also, a lot of other times when you kill an enemy, it doesn't trigger anything and you do not earn XP. Seems this later scenario is also the case when playing with D4T, so I guess they're uncompatible mods.
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

TechnoDoomed1 wrote:Seems this later scenario is also the case when playing with D4T, so I guess they're uncompatible mods.
D4T is also ACS-heavy, so it may be incompatible as well
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

monkeybtm6 wrote:
Doctrine Gamer wrote:The Herectic patch does not work with me, the Doom worked normal, Hexen and Strife did not test, I use the latest version of GZDoom sera what can it be?
Sorry about that, accidently uploaded the old version, should be fixed now, make sure the patches are always loaded after the main mod, use ZDL for that.
Thank you! I will download it again today. :) :thumb:
Soul Sucka

Post by Soul Sucka »

Once you reach a high enough level, boss monsters (Cyberdemon, Spiderdemon) tend to die instantly as soon as you enter the map. Could it be a health value overflow problem?
PLA

Post by PLA »

Quick and dirty fix for instant reaching 999 level or gaining very large chunk of experience.
Attachments
RPGLiteGZDoom1.6.0.pk3
(79.8 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

The "Monsters randomly drop ammo" bonus seems a little off. Like, most of the rest of the skills are about you, but that one feels more like an effect on the enemy. In particular, in Hexen, the limit to so few ammo types combined with it makes it feel very powerful, at least early on. It feels like a similar effect might be "X% chance of preserving ammo per shot, per rank" or something. That makes it more about the player's character, while having a similar "you have more ammo" effect, as well as making it only effect the current gun, and never capable of giving you more ammo than you expended.

Edit: Also, forgot all about the Ammo Synthesis rune. With that and basic energy regeneration, the skill that makes enemies drop ammo feels pretty pointless to invest in, at least in Hexen.

PS - to anyone who hasn't, try this mod with Damnums and TopHPBars for a much more RPG-ey experience.

EDIT 2: ACTUAL BUG
In Hexen, when I kill a Wendigo, I seem to immediately gain a massive amount of levels. 999 skill/stat points, and "runaway script levelup" happens.
legendrodrigo

Post by legendrodrigo »

Great mod mate, i really like it :)
By the way, i don't know what makes this but, with some mods, it causes a bug where you would level up and you would receive like 999 attribute points and skill points, i don't know what cause this bug, but i hope that you can fix it.
This bug was caused with Metroid Dreadnought and AEOD, i don't know which kind of mods that cause this, anyway thanks for this awesome mod,
Cheers
(By the way, i didn't put AEOD and Metroid Dreadnought together, i meant that this bug happened when i played AEOD with this rpg mod, and at other time i played Metroid Dreadnought with this rpg mod)
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Yeah, this needs work IMO. It has the similar problem to DRPG (critical damage ahoy), and I think it's even worse since I don't feel the stat changes at all unless you set the stat you receive during level-up to the max, even then it's still a small margin. Unless I turn off scaling I feel leveling up is just really pointless.

Sometimes projectiles and melee attacks can take a whopping large amount of your health.

EDIT: I tried the new version as well and I got some "I don't know what thing is" acs errors. It's caused by some spells, but one that I remember the most is the Holy Flame spell.
zimxpentagram

Post by zimxpentagram »

This mod is actually pretty good, though I do recommend adding in sound affects and small detailed animations for lvling up itself, a few of the spells given (for example, the push spell needs sound) and the menu for lvling, I feel as if the pop up text and and the instant snap of the lvl up menu is a bit bland in my opinion, but overall, this mod is great, keep it going and this mod will be even better.
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

Very nice mod, I haven't tested it with too many mods, but one I know it doesn't work with is Magitek Doom (the 999 level bug, most likely due to it being based on Brutal Doom), it also has the same issue with D4D. One thing I have noticed is this mods Hud breaks HUDs from other mods, sometimes kinda severely, most notably that I've seen with Doom Delta (https://my.mixtape.moe/fbyvsa.png) and Necrodoom (https://my.mixtape.moe/xywmxy.png). It also appears to break the character select screen in Doom Delta (skipping past it entirely even if it's on, though that doesn't break the mod as you can still play as the Doomguy, just none of the special classes).
exorio

Post by exorio »

This is actually GREAT RPG mod.

Doesn't intend to be super deep, but very good at what it does!

Character progression is compatible across all Doom iwad variants.

A bug with legend doom though, I cannot open red door even though I had the red key, playing with Doom2 iwad.

HUD seems to be conflicting with other mods that utilizes the hud as well.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

reason for a lack of updates is i kinda hit roadblocks with trying to maintain cross compatibility with many things, to go further id have to start breaking compatibility. something i do not wish to do. also have a new project in the works.
zimxpentagram

Post by zimxpentagram »

monkeybtm6 wrote:reason for a lack of updates is i kinda hit roadblocks with trying to maintain cross compatibility with many things, to go further id have to start breaking compatibility. something i do not wish to do. also have a new project in the works.
Kinda explains why it hasn't been updated in a while, but its ok :)
Elie(T)Zerg

Post by Elie(T)Zerg »

Its bugged with Weapons of saturn too.... the monsters seems to be 0 level all time, i dont know if is the megawad with i test it -Whitemare- what makes the glich or the weaponpack... and usually in a random moment's up the level from X number to 999... but sometimes the glich fix itself... werid...
AgentSpooks

Post by AgentSpooks »

I tested the mod with ProjectMSX and it seems that the armor regen skill breaks the shield mechanic in project msx.
Also the Huds both show up in screen size 11.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”