Space Hunter: vintage Metroid action UPDATE [4/8/20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Combine_Kegan

Space Hunter: vintage Metroid action UPDATE [4/8/20]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

So after a few months I've finally gotten around to finishing this project up, Space Hunter is a gameplay mod heavily inspired by the NES Metroid. Combat is focused around using the Hunter Rifle and its multiple beam modes to blast everything in sight into tiny pieces, your primary beam weapon can upgraded a few times and there's a few stacking upgrades as well. You also start with 20 missiles for the rifle's (upgradable!) missile launcher, so if you're caught in a situation early on where your beams aren't cutting it, switch to your missile launcher and paint the walls with hellspawn. You could also lob bombs at them, as you have regenerating supply of those, and they'll be your best friend going through megawads, seeing as they can stunlock the toughest monsters with ease.

I also have a trailer for this if you're interested!

DOWNLOAD HERE: LATEST VERSION V1.2

This mod has been tested on both the latest versions of GZDoom (3.0), 1.8, as well as Zandronum 3.0, so there should be no issues running it!

MAKE SURE TO BIND RELOAD AND ZOOM, ALSO CHECK THE HELP SCREEN FOR A QUICK RUNDOWN

And finally, have some screenshots:
Spoiler:
changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Combine_Kegan on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lime

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

Post by Lime »

Brings back Childhood Memories! Nice Work Kegan!
- Death Animations are satisfying for me.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

hm. this looks interesting
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Wow! That looks like the perfect companion piece to Contra Doom. Do you plan to make an optional Metroid music addon as well?

Anyway, I am a bit confused with the mod's mechanics: what is Weapon Zoom supposed to do? What are the "W" and "P" counters for? Also, I noticed pressing the Secondary Fire key does not seem to do anything, yet causes nearby monsters to become alerted. I do not mind having to figure it all by myself, but still a more detailed readme/guide would be much appreciated.
Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

This is fantastic.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Oh look it's the new Cacoward! I love everything about this.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Nice, congrats on the release! I'll have to give this a try soon.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

this has my interest, for sure.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Neat! I love the unique little niche you've carved out here. Definitely something different from anything I've seen elsewhere. :)
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

It's interesting and all, but I have a few complaints about it:
1. Almost everyone these days uses the secondary fire, so why not make use of it for the bombs instead of reload?
2. Once we get the Ice Beam we are forced to spend it before being able to use the Power Beam, which is bad. Imagine if you were forced to use all your Plasma and Rockets before being allowed to use the Chaingun in Doom, for example.
2.1 For this, I'd suggest taking the Metroid Dreadnought approach, where each weapon slot is a beam.
2.2 Of course, if this presents problem for the Missiles, just move the Missile Switch to Reload! Simple.
3. Feels like the Power Beam is a bit thicker than it should. For example: I couldn't shoot the Shotgunguy behind the Red "doors" in Doom 2 Map02

I like the vibe of the PWAD though.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

I've played for a while and it's definitely one of my favorite gameplay mods, great job!

I've paired it with the EGA Doom palette (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/ega_pal) and it looked quite good :)
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

That's a brillant idea! :D
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Bug found: if you keep holding the Primary Fire to deplete your missiles you'll be able to keep shooting forever. Seems there's no limitation to refiring. Only happens with the missiles too.

And in case you need to know: No, didn't use SV_InfiniteAmmo 1 and that CVAR doesn't work with these weapons. Nor does SV_FastWeapons (changing this to 1 or 2 actually makes the weapons SLOWER)
Last edited by tsukiyomaru0 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

I feel like this really needs its own music, like GMOTA did.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

well, that's an easy choice, at least: get a bunch of Metroid tracker music! though the style of the soundtracks might be a bit unfitting for this type of gameplay, what with the bunch of ambient loops and such.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”