WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by Hetdegon »

I found another animated texture issue.
In "Doom 2 in name only (Russian Community version)" and "Doom 2 Redux", there are WFALL textures (they seem to be identical, defined in the wads, according to SLADE), which render one frame like this:
Looking into them inside SLADE with doom_complete.pk3 as main resource seems to show all frames right, though, but in game they do that. I made sure to check without mods or with DOOM2.wad, the error doesn't happen then. I built the pk3 with the currently available download at the time of writing (and downloaded again just to make sure)
Let me know if you need anything else to debug the issue, I'll provide anything you might need.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Hmm, yeah WFALL1 has been a problem for WadSmoosh before. Both TNT and Plutonia define their own, out of fairly randomly named patches. Since TNT/Plutonia mod compatibiltiy is a) already not 100% and b) in relatively low demand afaict, I should probably just rename TNT's WFALL1-4 and completely clear out the WFALL1-4 names so mods can define their own. What I don't get here is why GZDoom prefers to use the WFALL1 definition in the doom_complete.pk3 TEXTURES data rather than the TEXTURE1 lump in the PWAD, since the PWAD is being loaded later. If someone who knows those internals can verify that this is intended behavior, it'd be enlightening.

Update: uploaded a build that should work with the WADs you mentioned, and any others that define their own WFALL1/2/3/4 animations.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Yup, that fixed it. Thank you!
EtherBot

Post by EtherBot »

Yp JPL, I know you said "no subjective blah blah" but Mephisto's Mausoleum really should be the final level in the Master Levels considering it's set up to be the climactic encounter, wut with the four icon heads and whatnot. I guess I could fix this myself by tinkering with the MAPINFO but I have genuinely no idea how MAPINFO functions so I usually stay clear of it incase I blow something up.
JPL

Post by JPL »

EtherBot wrote:Yp JPL, I know you said "no subjective blah blah" but Mephisto's Mausoleum really should be the final level in the Master Levels considering it's set up to be the climactic encounter, wut with the four icon heads and whatnot. I guess I could fix this myself by tinkering with the MAPINFO but I have genuinely no idea how MAPINFO functions so I usually stay clear of it incase I blow something up.
WadSmoosh uses the PSN ordering, which having played through it seems reasonable in terms of ramping difficulty and such. Is there an alternative widely regarded ordering?

Since the main point of WadSmoosh is to collect all the retail id content, and more implicitly represent their original creative intent, maybe I could ask Romero if he has a definitive ordering for the Master Levels.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

JPL wrote:
EtherBot wrote:Yp JPL, I know you said "no subjective blah blah" but Mephisto's Mausoleum really should be the final level in the Master Levels considering it's set up to be the climactic encounter, wut with the four icon heads and whatnot. I guess I could fix this myself by tinkering with the MAPINFO but I have genuinely no idea how MAPINFO functions so I usually stay clear of it incase I blow something up.
WadSmoosh uses the PSN ordering, which having played through it seems reasonable in terms of ramping difficulty and such. Is there an alternative widely regarded ordering?

Since the main point of WadSmoosh is to collect all the retail id content, and more implicitly represent their original creative intent, maybe I could ask Romero if he has a definitive ordering for the Master Levels.
I'm fine with the current order to be honest, but hearing from Romero regarding Doom is always awesome regardless.
EtherBot

Post by EtherBot »

JPL wrote:which having played through it seems reasonable in terms of ramping difficulty and such...maybe I could ask Romero if he has a definitive ordering for the Master Levels.
I mean it's fine I just kinda felt a bit out of place doing mephisto in the middle of the campaign, cuz i always did that one last, and it plays pretty nicely last.
dimarik

Post by dimarik »

Thank you man! I've been waiting for this for a very long time. You are really cool 8-) With it the game became more cooler!
Last edited by wildweasel on Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spam link from the post. Do not spam on these forums.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

Hey JPL, just a few suggestions - but what do you think of adding an option to have a continuous wad run? For example, when you completed E1M8 - it automatically takes you to E2M1 then E2M8 goes to E3M1, etc. instead of going to the end game screen, all the way through Doom 2, Master Levels, Nerve, TNT and Plutonia? I've honestly already modified my version of WadSmoosh complete for that, but wasn't sure if anyone thought it would be a good option to add to the main version for those that would want it. Of course, one major problem with the continuous run is that after E1M8, it drops you to 1 health... which is a tough start for E2M1 for sure :p But who doesn't love a challenge?

Also, what are your thoughts on adding E1M4b and E1M8b to the package? Again, I've added them to mine already - but they are kind of "official" being that they are from Romero himself. I have mine set up to go to the "b" versions after completing the standard versions.
JPL

Post by JPL »

saegiru wrote:Hey JPL, just a few suggestions - but what do you think of adding an option to have a continuous wad run? For example, when you completed E1M8 - it automatically takes you to E2M1 then E2M8 goes to E3M1, etc. instead of going to the end game screen, all the way through Doom 2, Master Levels, Nerve, TNT and Plutonia? I've honestly already modified my version of WadSmoosh complete for that, but wasn't sure if anyone thought it would be a good option to add to the main version for those that would want it. Of course, one major problem with the continuous run is that after E1M8, it drops you to 1 health... which is a tough start for E2M1 for sure :p But who doesn't love a challenge?

Also, what are your thoughts on adding E1M4b and E1M8b to the package? Again, I've added them to mine already - but they are kind of "official" being that they are from Romero himself. I have mine set up to go to the "b" versions after completing the standard versions.
These can all be easily implemented using a free-to-distribute WAD with its own MAPINFO data, right? I'd like to draw the line at providing an experience that recreates more or less what id originally shipped, and leave any significant departures from that to mods.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

JPL wrote:
saegiru wrote:Hey JPL, just a few suggestions - but what do you think of adding an option to have a continuous wad run? For example, when you completed E1M8 - it automatically takes you to E2M1 then E2M8 goes to E3M1, etc. instead of going to the end game screen, all the way through Doom 2, Master Levels, Nerve, TNT and Plutonia? I've honestly already modified my version of WadSmoosh complete for that, but wasn't sure if anyone thought it would be a good option to add to the main version for those that would want it. Of course, one major problem with the continuous run is that after E1M8, it drops you to 1 health... which is a tough start for E2M1 for sure :p But who doesn't love a challenge?

These can all be easily implemented using a free-to-distribute WAD with its own MAPINFO data, right? I'd like to draw the line at providing an experience that recreates more or less what id originally shipped, and leave any significant departures from that to mods.
Yeah, I suppose so - and that makes sense. Wasn't sure how much you wanted to have "built-in" as optional for convenience, and how much you wanted to leave to modifications of the base.
JPL

Post by JPL »

As a proof-of-concept, link for a single "complete run" episode mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqqgfme2estqf ... n.pk3?dl=0

Doesn't strip weapons after each Doom1 episode. Could be edited a bit more to not strip weapons after each Master Level. Only ends when you beat MAP30 of Plutonia.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

JPL wrote:As a proof-of-concept, link for a single "complete run" episode mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqqgfme2estqf ... n.pk3?dl=0

Doesn't strip weapons after each Doom1 episode. Could be edited a bit more to not strip weapons after each Master Level. Only ends when you beat MAP30 of Plutonia.
Well that's pretty awesome. I think in the end that's how I did it, I just didn't even think of having it as a separate pk3. I ended up editing the complete pk3 directly. Thanks for taking the time to whip something up to check out regardless, I appreciate it. With it being that simple, it does kind of negate the need for an option in wadsmoosh itself.
E1ite007

Post by E1ite007 »

I have this strange bug:

I don't know if it's 'cause Brutal Doom or WadSmoosh, 'cause when I load the regular .WADs, everything works.
:?
JPL

Post by JPL »

E1ite007 wrote:I have this strange bug:

I don't know if it's 'cause Brutal Doom or WadSmoosh, 'cause when I load the regular .WADs, everything works.
:?
Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with Brutal Doom to understand what the issue in this image is... a sprite or texture not showing up correctly?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”