Security Reminder

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Security Reminder

Post by NeuralStunner »

And if anyone is unsure how to make a better password, why not go Munroe Style like I do?
Spoiler:
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

NeuralStunner wrote:Munroe Style
I use a modified version (because I'm actually quite bad at generating "random" passwords) where I jam on the keyboard randomly for a few letters, like say "ofkrm"; then I expand that as if it was an acronym, to, say "Oscillating Firecrackers Kindly Reveal Municipalities". (this is not a real password of mine, just an example)

This is obviously easily expandable to just about any length. Often I also add non-dictionary words, either non-English or slight misspellings or fake words entirely to increase security against dictionary attacks, which are the primary weakness of this style of password.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I've had to take out a subscription to 1Password because of this Collection #1 debacle!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Yikes. I hope you changed all your passwords.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I've starting migrating over to LessPass. Got a new secure master password that will never be used or written down anywhere else, and I can use that to generate highly secure randomized passwords I don't need to write down or remember.

8-)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Once again, I need to emphasize the importance of account security.

I had to ban an account today because it got compromised and became a spam bot. If you don't take this stuff seriously, then not I, nor anyone else, will have any sympathy for you when someone logs in as you.

All actions that occur on your behalf while logged into your account, even if you did not do them, will be treated as if they came from you directly. Does this help to illustrate how important account security is? Keep it away from your prankster brother, and keep it away from spammers and hackers. Choose a good password, and not one that you use on other websites. Many other websites operate in a similar way - so keep your damn shit secure! (Some leniency will be shown if you can prove that you really did make good faith efforts to keep yourself secure, but you are still going to get some sort of punishment either way)
Centurion13

Post by Centurion13 »

To whom do I address the topic of acquiring PM privileges? I am attempting to contact a member here, and would rather not drop my pitch in a thread that is inappropriate to this bulletin board / forum (yeah, I am old-school).

Steve
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Centurion13 wrote:To whom do I address the topic of acquiring PM privileges? I am attempting to contact a member here, and would rather not drop my pitch in a thread that is inappropriate to this bulletin board / forum (yeah, I am old-school).

Steve
Hey, I recognise your name. ;) I'd drawn the prototype White Knight BattleMech for you years ago, before Stephen Huda spruced it up for the fan Technical Readout 3063. I think I know exactly who you're looking for, too. Is it possible to start a new topic in the Off-Topic forum to get their attention?

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”