Trying to run ZDoom 1.23 on win 8.1

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Trying to run ZDoom 1.23 on win 8.1

Post by drfrag »

So before this forum gets closed...
I've been trying to run ZDoom 1.23b33 on win 8.1 32 bits without success. I've tried with dgvoodoo2, that tool is good for running many old DX games, and with WineD3D for windows as well. With both i get a "DirectDraw returned no display modes" error.
I had success with DXGL on win 7 but i haven't tried on this machine. WineD3D is good for running D3D games tough (the D3D renderer in recent versions runs fine, this is a D3D to OGL wrapper).
I mean probably finishing (it's very incomplete) the D3D11 backend in LZDoom is not worth. Also a D3D9 to D3D11 and Vulkan wrapper is on the works in VK9.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Trying to run ZDoom 1.23 on win 8.1

Post by Rachael »

Have you tried disabling fullscreen? You can try running zdoom with "+set fullscreen false", it might work then.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm able to get 1.23 to run on Windows 10 64 bit without any special considerations in both windowed and full screen modes. The only thing I've noticed is that if I run it "full screen" I still see a window title bar at the top of the screen. Other than that, it seems to be working perfectly.

I thought that Windows 8 and Windows 10 were very similar under the hood - so I guess the question is what is it about my system that allows the game to run? (I don't have a Win 8.1 machine to test).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Windows 10 reinstated some features that Windows 8.1 did not have but that were present in 7. I don't know what DirectDraw had to do with it, though.

I actually strongly suspect that the difference is in the drivers you two are using. What are your GPU's?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I have a GTX1080 with current drivers.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

GT 710 with recent drivers. I tried the fullscreen trick without luck, same result without any wrapper.
Those old versions were trickier to get running, must be a win8 thing then but it should run with OGL wrappers.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Those old versions depended on DirectDraw and had no D3D or OGL backends. Maybe that's the problem.

That aside, finally a thread in this forum that's doing the right thing and not just some random question about how old hardware may behave. ;)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I am hesitant to blame Windows 8 for this. Still, though, you're both using similar GPU's, made by the same manufacturer, so naturally the drivers would be quite similar.

Only possibilities I can think of is - maybe Enjay installed something way back when that had some sort of DirectDraw emulator support built in - or there's something specific to Windows 10 drivers that might not be present in the Windows 8 version of the same driver. (It's ridiculous, honestly, that GPU makers do this - it's all WDDM-based, just use the same driver for all platforms...)
Graf Zahl wrote:That aside, finally a thread in this forum that's doing the right thing and not just some random question about how old hardware may behave. ;)
Agreed - that's why I have entertained the thread thus far as much as I have.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I can run dxdiag and post the output if that's any help.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yeah, that might help.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I know that version only used DDraw but a wrapper to OpenGL should work.
Definitely DDraw is working with more recent versions (vid_forceddraw) but not with that one.
I think i didn't install Direct X 9 but would that be necessary?
Spoiler:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm getting the same error on Windows 8.1, btw.
The next oldest one I have is 2.0.47 which is returning the same error message. 2.0.98 works, but it's not behaving nicely.
Geforce 1060
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm on Windows 10 and I am not getting that error. I couldn't find a precompiled 1.23 and didn't want to go chasing down the libraries to compile it, so I just used 1.47, instead.

I am using an 860M. So - maybe it's a Windows 8 problem, after all. That's disappointing, to say the least. There are DirectDraw emulators that work with Windows 8 though, and they did way back when I tried them and I was still using it, and I am pretty sure they'll work with ZDoom, too.

I, too, never installed DirectX 9.

For reference, here's my dxdiag, which still may be useful for comparison:
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(93.25 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:I'm on Windows 10 and I am not getting that error. I couldn't find a precompiled 1.23 and didn't want to go chasing down the libraries to compile it, so I just used 1.47, instead.

Right here, second link:

https://zdoom.org/files/
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Same result. Works fine for me.

Return to “Legacy Discussion”