Trying to run ZDoom 1.23 on win 8.1

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
Enjay

Re: Trying to run ZDoom 1.23 on win 8.1

Post by Enjay »

DXDiag output attached
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Problem solved with DXGL:
https://www.dxgl.org/downloads/

On win 7 ZDoom 1.23 worked right out of the box with wrong colors but not here, only DXGL works. The installer ticked the VS 2010 runtime but it was not needed so i unticked it. ZDoom runs with default settings, i just had to add the ZDoom executable to the configuration program and it works well (copies the wrapper's ddraw.dll to your executable folder). The program comes with windows help.
invictius

Post by invictius »

drfrag wrote:Problem solved with DXGL:
https://www.dxgl.org/downloads/

On win 7 ZDoom 1.23 worked right out of the box with wrong colors but not here, only DXGL works. The installer ticked the VS 2010 runtime but it was not needed so i unticked it. ZDoom runs with default settings, i just had to add the ZDoom executable to the configuration program and it works well (copies the wrapper's ddraw.dll to your executable folder). The program comes with windows help.
Just curious about why you want to get 1.23 running? Wad that refuses to work with anything higher?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

invictius wrote:Just curious about why you want to get 1.23 running? Wad that refuses to work with anything higher?
Pardon my remark, but I find it interesting that you want to ask this of him, when I recall asking you a similar thing in one of your own threads and never got a straight answer.
invictius

Post by invictius »

wildweasel wrote:
invictius wrote:Just curious about why you want to get 1.23 running? Wad that refuses to work with anything higher?
Pardon my remark, but I find it interesting that you want to ask this of him, when I recall asking you a similar thing in one of your own threads and never got a straight answer.
Because having made three ports, he probably has a clear reason for using 1.23 unlike my very general "want to use old hardware" reasons.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

invictius wrote:Because having made three ports, he probably has a clear reason for using 1.23 unlike my very general "want to use old hardware" reasons.
Okay, but I had suggested alternatives that would target said older hardware, and you never gave a reason why it had to be ZDoom 1.17 specifically instead of Boom or Eternity.
invictius

Post by invictius »

wildweasel wrote:
invictius wrote:Because having made three ports, he probably has a clear reason for using 1.23 unlike my very general "want to use old hardware" reasons.
Okay, but I had suggested alternatives that would target said older hardware, and you never gave a reason why it had to be ZDoom 1.17 specifically instead of Boom or Eternity.
Oh, that topic. Probably due to familiarity with zdoom and wanting proper mouselook (eternitys' feels a lot different, I don't recall if boom even has it) - I was going to say frame counter, but that didn't come until much later.

But I'd like to not further derail this thread.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I did three ports? I don't remember exactly right now how many, probably there are more. :lol:
No idea, i don't use 1.23 i just wanted to run old versions for comparison and historical reasons. I also tried even older ones on my modern machines and they run with DXGL.
invictius

Post by invictius »

drfrag wrote:I did three ports? I don't remember exactly right now how many, probably there are more. :lol:
No idea, i don't use 1.23 i just wanted to run old versions for comparison and historical reasons. I also tried even older ones on my modern machines and they run with DXGL.
The dos version might be of particular interest to you. It runs Tei Tenga and I'm assuming any other zdoom wads made around the same time. No midi support though.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Actually not, those versions were unstable and crashed from time to time. The DOS version was a curiosity (there was another earlier one but never released).
Some info: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40699

Return to “Legacy Discussion”