How much demand did typical levels put on the chipset?

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
invictius

How much demand did typical levels put on the chipset?

Post by invictius »

I have a p4 prescott that unfortunately has irreplaceable chipset fans. When I had this same problem with another board I'd get a BSOD with things like video encoding but not general use. Maybe only something like NUTS would push it?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: How much demand did typical levels put on the chipset?

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'd rather think that you should stop trying to play games on defective CPUs.

Regarding the question: Do you really believe you get any useful responses to those overly generic questions?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Yeah if your chipset fan is going out and can't be replaced, it's time to write it off and get a different chip. You might be able to find something workable at a surplus electronics store, or your local Craigslist, for little money.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Graf Zahl wrote:I'd rather think that you should stop trying to play games on defective CPUs.

Regarding the question: Do you really believe you get any useful responses to those overly generic questions?
Certainly. You know what makes the port behave under certain conditions and getting an answer for a single question can save me up to a few hours of finding out for myself. Sometimes there's simply no way to find out for myself, and I'm happy for a best guess.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

invictius wrote:getting an answer for a single question can save me up to a few hours of finding out for myself.
Except in a lot of cases you're simply offloading those few hours to someone else.
invictius

Post by invictius »

wildweasel wrote:
invictius wrote:getting an answer for a single question can save me up to a few hours of finding out for myself.
Except in a lot of cases you're simply offloading those few hours to someone else.
Not if they know off the top of their head. Obviously nobody is going to take more than a few minutes to answer something unless they have a special interest in it.

Btw, how am I meant to warp to a certain doom 1 level when recording a demo? -warp 16 brings up "could not find map e1m@" and -warp e1m6 brings up "could not find map e1m0"
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Have you tried -warp 1 6 ?
invictius

Post by invictius »

Graf Zahl wrote:Have you tried -warp 1 6 ?
That did it. I think someone left out a space when editing the doom wiki.

Is the technical support section appropriate for an error on hardware that meets the current minimum requirements? (Specifically, opengl2) I'm getting an unusual error regarding not having 3.3, but I'm almost certain that support for 2 hasn't been dropped.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Yes it is.

Return to “Legacy Discussion”