Can a system with 512mb ram load a 600mb wad?

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
invictius

Can a system with 512mb ram load a 600mb wad?

Post by invictius »

My understanding is that resources are only loaded as needed per level. But maybe the entire wad does have to be read on startup...
Nash

Re: Can a system with 512mb ram load a 600mb wad?

Post by Nash »

Try it yourself?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Depends on the content. Also keep in mind that the operating system already uses up several megabytes of data and the naked engine does also.
If most of the content of such a large file is just music it may work. If it's textures, prepare for a lot of texture thrashing and resulting loss of performance. Textures tend to compress well and when expanded can easily use up all the memory in such a system.
If it's resource demanding maps, it's unlikely they may work. It will be slow anyway, no matter what you try.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Graf Zahl wrote:Depends on the content. Also keep in mind that the operating system already uses up several megabytes of data and the naked engine does also.
If most of the content of such a large file is just music it may work. If it's textures, prepare for a lot of texture thrashing and resulting loss of performance. Textures tend to compress well and when expanded can easily use up all the memory in such a system.
If it's resource demanding maps, it's unlikely they may work. It will be slow anyway, no matter what you try.
Trying to make not too many threads here, so I just have a significantly different question - what version made sse2 mandatory?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

invictius wrote:Trying to make not too many threads here, so I just have a significantly different question - what version made sse2 mandatory?
Hijacking your own threads still counts. I would've split this off anyway... but you're still asking too many questions that are best answered empirically or through research. Please do so before coming here with any more of them. Therefore it's best both remain locked.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Just as an extra note, invictus: (double posting, sorry, but I know you read my previous message already, so that's why I am doing it)

I am getting a lot of complaints about you from other forum users, mostly privately. Whenever you become a topic in Discord, it's always about how annoying the barrage of these threads frequently are.

First of all - there's Google. I suggest you use it. A lot.

If Google can't answer your question, try it yourself if the setup is available. If you're asking questions about your own setups, chances are you can just spend the time and do it and have your answer long before people can discuss it here.

Failing all that, if you do not have a way to answer your own question, chances are it's probably not worth the discussion anyway. That includes the initial question.

While we are all for discussing GZDoom on Legacy systems, or lack thereof, a barrage of questions that are asking if XXX mod can run on YYY system is certainly fairly annoying, and far beyond the realm of interest for 98% of our users here. You can try the VOGONS forum, they might have many topics of interest for you, there.

Return to “Legacy Discussion”