Geforce 210 vs radeon 4350, which is the worst for gz?

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
invictius

Geforce 210 vs radeon 4350, which is the worst for gz?

Post by invictius »

The 210 in a 1ghz machine had trouble breaking 60fps on a vanilla map, the same I was getting on a 6150. Since amd is hopeless for drawcalls etc in opengl, will it perform worse?

Also timedemos are just an average fps, right? Can I compare it to a fps readout staying about the same just wandering around a level?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Geforce 210 vs radeon 4350, which is the worst for gz?

Post by Graf Zahl »

With that CPU graphics hardware performance really does not matter. You'll have a hard time finding a graphics card weak enough that it doesn't get stalled by the slow CPU. So yes, the higher driver overhead of AMD will hit you hard on such a system.

This is also way below the system requirements of GZDoom. Even back in 2004 when serious development started, I was using a 3 GHz P4. The last time I ran on something this weak may have been around 2001 which was long before the first truly taxing maps appeared.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Graf Zahl wrote:With that CPU graphics hardware performance really does not matter. You'll have a hard time finding a graphics card weak enough that it doesn't get stalled by the slow CPU. So yes, the higher driver overhead of AMD will hit you hard on such a system.

This is also way below the system requirements of GZDoom. Even back in 2004 when serious development started, I was using a 3 GHz P4. The last time I ran on something this weak may have been around 2001 which was long before the first truly taxing maps appeared.
What video card were you using with your p4 back then?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

A Geforce 5900 and when that broke a Geforce 6800. But for both the CPU was fast enough so that overall the system was GPU limited.

Return to “Legacy Discussion”