Vanilla or source portwads that struggled on a pentium 1/2?

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
invictius

Vanilla or source portwads that struggled on a pentium 1/2?

Post by invictius »

The earliest wad I can think of that needed more than an original pentium is phobos anomoly reborn. I didn't play much doom between the 586 and pentium 4 eras, were there even any vanilla/early boom/early zdoom wads that needed a pentium 2?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Vanilla or source portwads that struggled on a pentium 1

Post by Graf Zahl »

With vanilla you must consider that it was heavily restricted by the visplane and drawsegs limits. This alone limited geometry quite considerably.
More I cannot tell, I already used a high-res port and more powerful CPU when I got back into Doom in 1998 after abandoning it for other games in 1995 so I cannot say how the more complex mods of the time would have fared on a low end system.
invictius

Re: Vanilla or source portwads that struggled on a pentium 1

Post by invictius »

Graf Zahl wrote:With vanilla you must consider that it was heavily restricted by the visplane and drawsegs limits. This alone limited geometry quite considerably.
More I cannot tell, I already used a high-res port and more powerful CPU when I got back into Doom in 1998 after abandoning it for other games in 1995 so I cannot say how the more complex mods of the time would have fared on a low end system.
Would you expect something like eternal doom to be slow on a windows port, on a late-model pentium/early pentium 2? Most demanding vanilla wad I can think of.

Return to “Legacy Discussion”