What's causing this graphics corruption?

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
invictius

Re: What's causing this graphics corruption?

Post by invictius »

Someone mentioned zdoom 1.22/23 running faster because it uses MIDAS, what's the minimum cpu that should be able to handle fmod well? Or openal for that matter?
koverhbarc

Post by koverhbarc »

No idea but the LE guy wants to go back to FMod so he probably has cause to think it works with slow CPUs better than OpenAL. Again you can estimate it yourself by testing with and without sound on; there's a vast number of old ZDoom versions out there to test if you want to satisfy curiosity.

As for the palette mess, that's a problem with old versions of ZDoom I think; I never get it anymore. If I remember right, it generally occurs when switched back to the desktop before the paletted program quits.
invictius

Post by invictius »

koverhbarc wrote:No idea but the LE guy wants to go back to FMod so he probably has cause to think it works with slow CPUs better than OpenAL. Again you can estimate it yourself by testing with and without sound on; there's a vast number of old ZDoom versions out there to test if you want to satisfy curiosity.

As for the palette mess, that's a problem with old versions of ZDoom I think; I never get it anymore. If I remember right, it generally occurs when switched back to the desktop before the paletted program quits.
With my intel onboard video on a p3 1ghz, I get a timedemo result only about double what I get on a pentium 133. Can I safely assume that most wads on this system will run as if I were using a pentium 233, or is there more to it than that? Because that would be cool and I wouldn't have to worry about my soon to die socket 7/slot 1 pentiums.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sorry, no idea. Few people still have such old and obsolete systems. My oldest one is from 2004 and a lot faster than any of what you mention.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Of course not, you'll be mostly limited by the cpu as we already told you before. There's another trick for the palette problem and is keeping the screen resolution control panel open. OpenAL is actually clearly faster than fmod on ancient machines such as pentiums.

Return to “Legacy Discussion”