What's causing this graphics corruption?

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
invictius

What's causing this graphics corruption?

Post by invictius »

Happens on both my netbook (intel gma) and an athlon xp with not-really wddm drivers, both windows 7. The gma on xp displays fine, but power options that I can't find screw with the framerate.

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: What's causing this graphics corruption?

Post by Rachael »

That happens when you run Windows 7 with DirectDraw enabled.

There are two solutions for this - kill explorer.exe (and run from cmd.exe) - or you can try vid_palettehack true to see if that fixes it. (Killing explorer.exe is not advisable unless you are very proficient from the command prompt and can otherwise operate it as your single shell)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Palette corruption was one of the reasons the D3D backend was initially written.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Rachael wrote:That happens when you run Windows 7 with DirectDraw enabled.

There are two solutions for this - kill explorer.exe (and run from cmd.exe) - or you can try vid_palettehack true to see if that fixes it. (Killing explorer.exe is not advisable unless you are very proficient from the command prompt and can otherwise operate it as your single shell)
If I ignore this and run a timedemo, are the results reasonably reliable?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes. Palette corruption does not affect performance.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

No palette corruption here on win7 and ati integrated video, only with very ancient ZDoom versions which didn't update the palette.
invictius

Post by invictius »

drfrag wrote:No palette corruption here on win7 and ati integrated video, only with very ancient ZDoom versions which didn't update the palette.
Heh, I've been running 1.23 for timedemos because I needed something that would be compatible back to the 486 and windows 95 era. IIRC 2.8.1 only runs on win me and later.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

ZDoom LE runs on win95 but it's slow on 486 and pentiums, ZDoom 1.23 was faster than 2.0 thanks to the ancient midas audio library.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Rachael wrote:(Killing explorer.exe is not advisable unless you are very proficient from the command prompt and can otherwise operate it as your single shell)
PROTIP: Ctrl-Shift-Escape opens the task manager (even when explorer doesn't run), and on the first tab you have the "new task" button from which you can restart explorer. Just type explorer.exe as the name of the task you want to start. Done.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Gez wrote:PROTIP: Ctrl-Shift-Escape opens the task manager (even when explorer doesn't run), and on the first tab you have the "new task" button from which you can restart explorer. Just type explorer.exe as the name of the task you want to start. Done.
Reason I did not mention it is because not everyone is going to remember all that. :P
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Or use Win+R to get to the Run Prompt quickly.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Win+R is run by explorer - so no that will not work.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Huh. I did not know this. I've always had the task manager running if explorer is giving me issues. But thanks for the heads up anyways.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

invictius wrote:
drfrag wrote:No palette corruption here on win7 and ati integrated video, only with very ancient ZDoom versions which didn't update the palette.
Heh, I've been running 1.23 for timedemos because I needed something that would be compatible back to the 486 and windows 95 era. IIRC 2.8.1 only runs on win me and later.
Why are you testing an 18-year-old version of the engine against 20+-year-old hardware? And why are you asking the modern development team (which is very different to the team from back then) about it like there's some form of relevance to the current engine? And why has seemingly everyone still running a 386 with a math co-processor converged on this subforum recently?!? I'm honestly confused.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Kinsie wrote:And why has seemingly everyone still running a 386 with a math co-processor converged on this subforum recently?!? I'm honestly confused.
I've been wondering the same thing, too. I think the best way to gradually weed this problem out is to just not respond.

When you choose to tinker with old unsupported stuff, you're usually on your own and it's not worth the current dev team's time and effort to assist and entertain these kinds of things. The devs aren't getting paid to do this, after all...

Return to “Legacy Discussion”