When did people start switching from zdoom to gz?

ZDoom LE, Pentium 133's, Windows 98, and DOS 3.1 all go here! A bygone era, of particular interest to some folks.
invictius

Re: When did people start switching from zdoom to gz?

Post by invictius »

Rachael wrote:That's odd - on my computer, it's the software renderer that revs my fans up - but it could also be the resolution that I run it at, and the fact that GZDoom is relatively passive on my GPU. (My GPU gets very bored with GZDoom...)
What resolution do you run at, and what's your gpu?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

1600x900, NVidia 860M
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Rachael wrote:1600x900, NVidia 860M
Finally someone with a monitor with a resolution weirder than mine :lol: (1680x1050)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I thought that 1600x900 was quite a popular resolution; and favoured by quite a few people.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

My desktop resolution is 1680x1050. I just run things in a window in 1600x900 because it's convenient.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

1680x1050 is a 16:10 aspect ratio. There's still quite a few monitors out there that uses that aspect ratio and resolution. So isn't that uncommon.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Gotta admit I actually prefer 16:10 overall. I wish more modern monitors gave that extra vertical room.

8-)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I love my 1920x1200 (16:10) monitors. I agree that having a little more vertical space versus 1080 is very nice. Not only does it put more on screen, I think it's a more pleasant shape to look at versus the slightly wide, skinny look of 1920:1080 resolution.
thebenenator

Post by thebenenator »

Personally, I started off in gzdoom. I wanted something that ran on Linux, allowed me to jump and look around with a mouse, and supported texture scaling via the xbrz algorithm. As I recall, that last one narrowed things down just a wee bit. :P
Graf Zahl wrote:
Nash wrote: Usually the "I can't run OpenGL" ones I only see on niche/enthusiast/classic forums.
And it's only a small fringe group even there. Get a sufficiently large group of people and it's inevitable to find some stubborn individual who thinks they are entitled to have modern software running on their dinosaur computer and wouldn't even consider upgrading their hardware.
Given that the "dinosaur" still works, its disposal is toxic whether tossed in a dump or "properly" recycled, that not everyone has money to spare, and (this is the critical part) they don't comprehend the bit about it being just a bit of a PITA to maintain what is essentially a ridiculously multiplatform across generations of widely-disparate hardware, I can't entirely bring myself to hate them for it. Then again, my efforts at maintenance are limited to some simple git reverts of dhewm3's C++ codebase, so I haven't gotten to experience the full frustration yet.

In any case, there's a reason why the standard reply in the FOSS world to feature-requests is, "Patches welcome" :lol:
Graf Zahl wrote:I only feel sorry for those which are stuck with a laptop based on an older Intel chipset which cannot be upgraded but otherwise wouldn't be bad systems. Those really got screwed over by Intel big time.
Like me and my 2006-era Thinkpad T60. Core 2 Duo T5600 @ 1.83GHz...but a GMA 950 iGPU that only does OpenGL 1.4 + a few instructions. VAAPI video acceleration doesn't even work right on it. :roll:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That was one of the reasons i wanted to do the merge to rise the feature level of GZDoom 1.8.3 to ZDoom 2.8.1 but unfortunately some data structures have changed and Frankie is dead.
thebenenator

Post by thebenenator »

drfrag wrote:...unfortunately some data structures have changed...
I'm not familiar with the codebase, which data structures would those be?

(Don't get excited, C++ is a read-only(if that) language to me.)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I won't, the thread with the link to my repo it's here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56807

Return to “Legacy Discussion”