[Closed] Scaled sprites bug?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Nash

Scaled sprites bug?

Post by Nash »

I have provided high-res replacements for thing 122 (I think) - the pool of blood thingy that appears when something gets squashed under a ceiling/door.

FYI, I drew 8 angles for it - POL5A1 to POL5A8.

I have it scaled down in DEHACKED.

When I use "summon gibs" in the console, the sprite appears fine scaled. But when something actually gets squashed (I summoned a monster under a door, MDK'ed it and closed the door), the sprite appears unscaled and big-ass. :(
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

This is probably because the scale value applies to the Thing, not to the sprites, and the Thing being created when a monster gets squashed is not considered to be the same as the decoration that can be placed (or summoned) into a level.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

HotWax wrote:This is probably because the scale value applies to the Thing, not to the sprites, and the Thing being created when a monster gets squashed is not considered to be the same as the decoration that can be placed (or summoned) into a level.

No, it's not that simple. Unlike Doom ZDoom removes the monster and creates a separate gib. It's just that the gib that can be placed in the map is not the same object than the one that gets spawned when a monster is crushed. The one you can set the scale for is only the first of the two.

Here's Randy's comment for it:

// These need to be a separate class from the above, in case someone uses
// a deh patch to change the gibs, since ZDoom actually creates a gib actor
// for actors that get crushed instead of changing their state as Doom did.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Graf Zahl wrote:No, it's not that simple. Unlike Doom ZDoom removes the monster and creates a separate gib. It's just that the gib that can be placed in the map is not the same object than the one that gets spawned when a monster is crushed. The one you can set the scale for is only the first of the two.
Uhhh, that's what I said. :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This is something that changed a long time back - maybe 2 years or so. Prior to that, it was possible to use the dehacked thing editor to alter the object that appears when squishing with a door. I'd actually dehacked it to use a different frame with an invisible sprite to allow me make the squished bodies simply disappear (useful when the mod contains organic enemies and robots) and to free up the frame so I could use it for something else. However, one of the 1.23 betas started showing whatever was allocated to the original frame (IIRC) when something got squished, so I ended up with odd things happening like a soldier getting squished, and when the door raised a giant, inanimate robot was standing there. :shock:

Not a big problem, for what I was doing (I just jiggled things around again) but something to be aware of.
Nash

Post by Nash »

So all my hardwork on the 8-angle hi-res gib sprite is gone to waste. :(

There's really no other way to scale the gib sprite that's spawned on a squished enemy?

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”