[Fixed] Linedef trigger issues again

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Linedef trigger issues again

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:37 pm

I just checked the new behavior for monster-triggerable linedefs. Unfortunately there are still issues with it. Although the Boom stuff works now these linedefs can now be triggered by almost everything, including leaves and bats! Hexen has a lot of moving stuff that shouldn't be able to trigger everything. I don't know of any specific Hexen level that may be broken by this but I think it makes the monster-can-trigger flag rather hard to use if you have stuff like that in your level.
A quick check of Hexen's and Heretic's objects revealed that any object that might cause trouble has the MF2_NOTELEPORT flag set so I suggest that everything that has the MF2_NOTELEPORT flag set should be excluded from triggering these lines. It would certainly exclude 99% of all problematic objects.

Another solution would be to use a separate trigger type for monster-activatable generalized Boom linedef types. After all there are 3 bits for storing the activation type but only 7 types are used. The last remaining type could easily be used for this. This solution has the advantage of keeping Hexens MF2_MCROSS behavior intact.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby randi » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:04 pm

Okay. I have decided to go for a variation of your second suggestion. Rather than allocate a new activation type, I've restricted the behavior to the Generic_ specials, since those are the ones that encapsulate the generalized BOOM linedef types. (Maybe I will further restrict it so that it only works for levels that are not in Hexen format.)

Personally, I would consider this a bug in either BOOM or its docs, since the documentation doesn't mention that non-monsters will also be able to activate monster-activateable lines. And that level you showed that demonstrates this behavior seems like it could have just as easily used a voodoo doll to get the same effect.
randi
Site Admin

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:12 pm

randy wrote:And that level you showed that demonstrates this behavior seems like it could have just as easily used a voodoo doll to get the same effect.

You are right about that particular level. However, I have once seen a level that used this with a key on a conveyor belt which produced a great effect. The key was traveling on the conveyor belt towards a platform. As soon as it reached the platform it triggered it to rise so the key could move further. It was one of the coolest Boom effects I have ever seen.

(Maybe I will further restrict it so that it only works for levels that are not in Hexen format.)

Please don't. I am planning to use it in the map I am making at the moment. ;)
Graf Zahl

Postby randi » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:16 pm

Oh, very well.
randi
Site Admin

Return to Closed Bugs