[Not a ZDoom bug]ONLY 4 FRAGS TO GO!!!!!..... huh? NOOOooooo

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ONLY 4 FRAGS TO GO!!!!!..... huh? NOOOooooo

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:19 pm

Recently, for reasons unknown, zdoom shuts down the pc in a flash when playing online. Probably just me, but I thought i'd moan anyway. i'm using XP and zdoom version 47i btw
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Discord: https://discord.gg/Whts7Bj
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby randi » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:57 pm

ZDoom cannot shut down the computer because it does not have access to that functionality. This is almost always caused by driver bugs. Since this happens in multiplayer for you, I would suggest you try to find new network card or modem drivers (whichever you are using).
randi
Site Admin

Postby Sparky » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:11 pm

windows xp has a feature that restartes the computer if critical hardware is failing or overheating
its happend to me before
Sparky
Crazy Bananas!

Postby Bio Hazard » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:22 pm

Sparky wrote:windows xp has a feature that restartes the computer if critical hardware is failing or overheating
its happend to me before

Maybe the computer got confused in that "heated" deathmatch! :wink:
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Xaser » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:25 pm

Bio Hazard wrote:
Sparky wrote:windows xp has a feature that restartes the computer if critical hardware is failing or overheating
its happend to me before

Maybe the computer got confused in that "heated" deathmatch! :wink:

Oops, looks like I used that flamethrower for a bit too long, then. :)
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby HotWax » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:46 am

If it were XP doing it, it would show an XP-style Blue Screen O' Death. Depending on your settings, it might then start dumping active RAM to a file for debugging purposes (that's the default setting) or it might just flash the screen for a second and then reboot the PC. But the BSOD would always show up first.

Believe me, I have plenty of experience with this type of crash, having a CPU that refuses to stay cool no matter what cooling hardware I give it. :(
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Cyb » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:12 am

not always true, if XP (or 2k) crashes while you're running a fullscreen game it will have to refresh the screen most of the time to show the BSOD, but usually before that can happen it will have rebooted by that time so you end up never seeing it (in my experience anyway). however you can get a small util from microsoft called 'uptime.exe' which will list all your previous shutdowns and such as well as why they occured (application failures, bsods etc):

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/d ... efault.asp

stick it in your root directory (or whereever really) and run uptime /s from a cmd window and it'll list all that stuff
Cyb

Postby Bio Hazard » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:18 am

Cyb wrote:not always true, if XP (or 2k) crashes while you're running a fullscreen game it will have to refresh the screen most of the time to show the BSOD, but usually before that can happen it will have rebooted by that time so you end up never seeing it (in my experience anyway). however you can get a small util from microsoft called 'uptime.exe' which will list all your previous shutdowns and such as well as why they occured (application failures, bsods etc):

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/d ... efault.asp

stick it in your root directory (or whereever really) and run uptime /s from a cmd window and it'll list all that stuff

thats a cool little program! it tells me that my computer can preform a cold boot in 24 seconds :)
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby arioch » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:25 am

Or you can right click "My Computer", go into "Properties", then "Advanced", then "Startup and Recovery Settings", and uncheck "Automatic Restart".
arioch
hcoira

Postby HotWax » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:56 am

In the same window Arioch mentioned, under "Write Debugging Information", you can choose "Complete memory dump" from the dropdown list to get the screen to stay there for at least a minute (depending on how much RAM you have...) in case you want to be able to actually read the message...
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:31 am

Alright, I done what you all insisted. Hopefully it'll magicly work now. If not, moose heads WILL fly
Cutmanmike

Postby Hirogen2 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:56 am

Start/Run "rundll32.exe user.dll,ExitWindows"...
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Cutmanmike » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:21 am

None of your ideas worked :P . There was a program that was running that was causing lots of programs to do it.
Cutmanmike

Return to Closed Bugs