[Fixed] splats on warping walls..

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

splats on warping walls..

Postby SargeBaldy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:03 pm

splats appear on on warping walls by default.. this looks silly and i assume this isn't by design.
SargeBaldy
my password is grapefruit6

Postby randi » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:17 pm

Fixed. If anybody wants decals on a warping texture, they can add "allowdecals" at the end of the warp statement in ANIMDEFS:
Code: Select allExpand view
warp texture foofoo allowdecals
randi
Site Admin

Postby HotWax » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:47 am

Will the decals warp too? IMO, that would be desirable.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:32 am

Probably not. I don't thing the current warping code could handle this.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Nanami » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:33 am

If the decals are a power of 2, it could.

But not all user-created decals are going to be a power of 2.
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:49 am

Sure but they wouldn't be warped in the same scale as the wall if they aren't the exact same size and positioned at exactly texture coordinate (0,0).
Graf Zahl

Postby Nanami » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:23 am

Hey Randy, when are you going to add scorches and splats to flats? =)
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:28 am

There are many more important things - like Doomscript for example. I'd say decals on flats are very low priority. Let's first have a fully working version before gimmicks like this are added.
Graf Zahl

Postby HotWax » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:23 pm

Uhhh... But decals on walls were added before DoomScript...

IIRC, I was told this wouldn't be as easy because flats only have one rendering pass, whereas textures can have many... now that textures go on floors though, I would assume that the rendering functions are similar enough, but then again... maybe not.

If the texture gets warped and THEN the decal gets put on, is there any possible way to apply the decal and THEN warp, so that the decal is just another part of the texture when the warping code takes effect? The decal could (and should) just function as any other patch in the texture and get warped along with the whole thing. Or would this be too hard to change?
HotWax

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:43 pm

No, it has nothing to do with multiple patches. Even for multipatch textures an internal composite is created. Walls are rendered in one pass as they always have been. Doing differently would severely affect performance due to massive overdraw. The decal is a completely separate entity that has absolutely nothing to do with the wall it sticks to.

To integrate it into the wall texture would cause performance problems because you'd have to recreate the composite texture for a wall every time a decal is added or removed.
It isn't worth it anyway. Warped textures are almost exclusively used for liquids or some other effects that clearly don't represent non-solid stuff so a decal couldn't stick to it to begin with. Additionally I cannot imagine a solid surface that could have such an effect except for a computer screen and in that case the decal should most definitely not be warped.
Graf Zahl

Postby SargeBaldy » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:41 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:There are many more important things - like Doomscript for example. I'd say decals on flats are very low priority. Let's first have a fully working version before gimmicks like this are added.
i agree. splats on floors is a lot of work with no practical benefit. i'd like to see him focus on doomscript now (well after he adds true color anyway).
SargeBaldy
my password is grapefruit6

Postby HotWax » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:11 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:To integrate it into the wall texture would cause performance problems because you'd have to recreate the composite texture for a wall every time a decal is added or removed.
It isn't worth it anyway. Warped textures are almost exclusively used for liquids or some other effects that clearly don't represent non-solid stuff so a decal couldn't stick to it to begin with. Additionally I cannot imagine a solid surface that could have such an effect except for a computer screen and in that case the decal should most definitely not be warped.

Well, here's one example off the top of my head...

The effect could be used as part of a "drug-induced" effect (no I'm not referring to ROTT shrooms...) like right as the player passes out after being shot with a poison dart. This assumes the effect can be placed on an already-drawn wall, or that the textures of the walls in view could be changed to a copy of themselves set to warp. Combined with an earthquake and fading or something like that, I believe you could make a convincing effect. However, the effect would most certainly NOT be convincing if either of the following two things happened:

A) All the decals suddenly vanished.
B) The walls all started warping and the decals remained perfectly still.

Okay, so that's only one example, and it might even be a stretch. If warping the decals as part of the texture is too difficult to implement (as you make it sound), then I'm not going to lose any sleep over the feature not being implemented. It was just a thought. The same holds true for decals on flats. If it can't be done relatively easily, then Randy shouldn't waste time rewriting the renderer to support it, but if we've reached the point where doing it would be little more difficult than wall decals, I don't see a reason why he shouldn't expend the effort necessary to implement it.

You guys might see no practical purpose, but to me it adds a little extra realism and atmosphere to the game. Seeing decals only on perfectly vertical surfaces and not on any floor, ceilings, or sloped walls, kind of defeats the purpose of having decals in the first place.

In short, if it can be done without too much trouble, do it. If not, it's not the end of the world.
HotWax

Return to Closed Bugs