[not a bug] My Blood Splat and Puff noises aren't working

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
DrewbieDoobie007

48.cab-My Blood Splat and Bullet Puff noises aren't working

Post by DrewbieDoobie007 »

Thing 38 (Bullet Puff)
Attack sound = PUFF/RIC
Alert sound = PUFF/THUMP

As I recall (its been a long time since I have had to mess with this) Randy made zdoom recognize the bullet puff attack sound as the noise that the puff would make and the bullet puff alert sound as the noise a blood splat would make. Now all that works is the bullet puff hit sounds unless an object is set to puff instead of bleed, then those puffs make the blood splat noises...

Oh, I checked and all my sndinfo things are correctly sorted out, so I don't know what the problem is...

Also... Zdoom must handle the way decal graphics are displayed differently because all of my custom decals now have a black ring around the outside of them. It looks to me like the lightest value from previous versions is now the darkest value in 2.0.48.

Randy! HELP!
Last edited by DrewbieDoobie007 on Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randi
Site Admin

Re: 48.cab-My Blood Splat and Bullet Puff noises aren't work

Post by randi »

DrewbieDoobie007 wrote:Randy made zdoom recognize ... the bullet puff alert sound as the noise a blood splat would make.
This only applies to weapons that spawn the puff even when they strike a monster, and Doom doesn't have any weapons like this. See the fighter in Hexen for examples of weapons that always spawn a puff.
DrewbieDoobie007

Yeah but the weird thing is that it used to work. So what do I do now if I want bullets hitting monsters making a nice juicy flesh piercing sound?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DrewbieDoobie007 wrote:So what do I do now if I want bullets hitting monsters making a nice juicy flesh piercing sound?
Do what I did with Marine Assault:

Give the bullet puffs a pain sound and give a pain code pointer to frame 94. This allows you to make ricochet sounds, and also it isn't played when you punch a wall because frames 93/94 are not used with the fist generated puff. This does mean the Revenant rocket trail also "ricochets" through the air though. I also gave the rocket trail a sound by the same method to kind of hide this problem and of course, the rocket in MA looked more mechanical so the ricochet sound was less out of place.

Do something similar with the blood splat - so that every time you generate a blood splat a "bullet hitting flesh" sound is made.
DrewbieDoobie007

got it, but frame 90 wont make the noise so I made it just like yours enjay and made the noise on frame 91. This caused the noise to be duration of 8 late though, so I had to shorten the duration of frame 90 to 1 and I increased the other frames to 12 to account for the change. I dont particularly like doing this but It had to be done. I still don't know why frame 90 wont make the sound and even frame 91 sometimes doesnt make the noise.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

DrewbieDoobie007 wrote:Yeah but the weird thing is that it used to work.
What version did it work with? 2.0.47 behaves the same as 2.0.48, as far as I can tell.
DrewbieDoobie007

Im thinkin it was a version before .47.
Try goin back 3 or 4 versions, for a few months I didnt keep up with ZDoom updates.
Let me know if you need the wad that I am working with or if you can use an example of your own.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”