[Resolved] 3D bridges don't work

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

3D bridges don't work

Postby arcticwolf » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:02 pm

As the title says: 3D bridges do not work anymore, for some strange reason that I have been unable to figure out (I first blamed my recent upgrade to 2.0.47i, but that turned out not to have been the problem). This behaviour can be observed, for example, in Fear Station Alpha (which was featured on Doomworld's /newstuff chronicles this week and which I very much recommend); when you try to enter a bridge, you simply cannot, as if the linedef in front of the bridge had been set Impassable.

I checked with Zeth, and the WAD file seems to have no problem; the same behaviour can also be observed in other WAD files, such as Enjay's Marine Assault (also in the /newstuff chronicles this week). I haven't yet tried with other WAD files that I know worked in the past (and with 2.0.47, too, no less), but will do so now.

In any case, it's a rather strange thing; I'm not sure if it's a bug in ZDoom, but obviously, something, at some point, does go wrong. Any help will be very appreciated.
arcticwolf
Canis lupus arctos

Postby arcticwolf » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:21 pm

As an update: the problem is not limited to the two WAD files mentioned; it also occurs in levels that definitely worked fine before (such as Tormentor667's TnT3).
arcticwolf
Canis lupus arctos

Postby Nanami » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:32 pm

What version of ZDoom is this you're using? The 3D bridges in ZooM's C4T1 have never acted strangely, and I'm currently using 47i.
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby Kappes Buur » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:33 pm

When I use the 'NOCLIP' cheat I fall through 3D_bridges, otherwise they work fine.

edited:

Hold it, something strange is going on here. When I play without 'NOCLIP'
everything works fine, but when I do use 'NOCLIP' I only fall through some 3D-bridges.

I used Magikal's pwad catastrophe.wad to check it out, since he made bridges over bridges.

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames ... c/cata.zip
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kappes Buur

Postby arcticwolf » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:34 pm

Nanami wrote:What version of ZDoom is this you're using? The 3D bridges in ZooM's C4T1 have never acted strangely, and I'm currently using 47i.

2.0.47, which used to work fine. 2.0.47i also exhibits the same problem.
arcticwolf
Canis lupus arctos

Postby Enjay » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:55 pm

I cannot reproduce this problem at all on either my WAD or ReX's. In case it was something to do with gennodes, I've tried it with 1 and 0. They both worked fine. (2.0.47i).
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby SargeBaldy » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:57 pm

turn off the compatibility option "actors are infinitely tall" and your problems are instantly solved :D
SargeBaldy
my password is grapefruit6

Postby Hirogen2 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:32 am

Yes, could this probably a bug? A 3d bridge thing is an invisible object, a "box", where you can walk on or be blocked if you try to walk under and there is not enough space. However, using noclip, one should be able to stay on the object and not fall through.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Enjay » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:52 am

Hirogen2 wrote:However, using noclip, one should be able to stay on the object and not fall through.

When using noclip you can walk through any "things". The bridge objects are things, so you should walk/fall through them.

There are some bridges, made by the old Boom method, that you can fall through if you let Zdoom build the nodes for the map. These are sector based bridges and you should not fall through them - especially when it happens without noclip on.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby arcticwolf » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:43 pm

SargeBaldy wrote:turn off the compatibility option "actors are infinitely tall" and your problems are instantly solved :D

Thanks! That helped.
arcticwolf
Canis lupus arctos

Return to Closed Bugs