[Fixed] Heretic morph bugs (Repost)

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Heretic morph bugs (Repost)

Postby HotWax » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:37 pm

This was originally posted by Enjay in that other thread, but I think it belongs here since it doesn't seem to be fixed. (At least in 47i) Just wanted to bring this back to your attention, Randy.

Enjay's post follows:

Enjay wrote:
HotWax wrote:Also, you CAN be turned into a chicken in multiplayer Heretic. Does the same problem crop up there? If so, that would seem to be a definite bug.

Just tried with bots - and there is a problem.

I used the morph ovum on some bots. They momentarily appeared as chickens, and then went back to using the player sprites, despite clucking away like, well, like chickens. Just like the player had done with morphme in chasecam mode.

More than that, I noticed some other problems...

When the chickens started (incorrectly) using the player sprites, they appeared as player sprites in the default (untranslated) colour. Probably intentional as the chickens shouldn't be translated (although that could be cool). When they reverted back to human (elf) players, they also regained their colour as expected.

When bots were killed in chicken mode, their last death frame stopped at PLAYL0 - which looked odd in itself. Even worse, the frame was using some sort of colour translation to make it a bluey grey kind of colour (maybe the ice trnslation?).

For information, monsters that had been morph ovumed behaved exactly as they should as far as I could tell.

Edit: Hmmm, thought: for all those people who want ducking - purely to get under stuff - not for the heat of battle, how about binding a key to morphme?
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Cyb » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:53 pm

that's because you get turned into a pig when the game is set to doom, not the chicken
Cyb

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:41 am

Cyb wrote:that's because you get turned into a pig when the game is set to doom, not the chicken

As I posted before the ChickenPlayer does not work because the code assumes in several spots that any morphed player in Doom/Hexen is a pig and any morphed player in Heretic is a chicken. It is, however possible to spawn an Egg/Porkalator in any game so both morphed player types should work in all games.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Enjay » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:47 am

However, all my observations above were made in Heretic using a morph ovum and no extra resources loaded. In other words, the player/bots should have been turned into chickens, should have stayed looking like chickens for the duration of the effect, and when they died as chickens should have looked like chicken corpses - but they didn't.

I don't have a problem with this not working in Doom (although it'd be nice if it did) but it should work in Heretic.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Heretic morph bugs (Repost)

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:47 pm

HotWax wrote:Edit: Hmmm, thought: for all those people who want ducking - purely to get under stuff - not for the heat of battle, how about binding a key to morphme?

You can't use weapons, your health is screwed around (you could effectively use it as a full health key by pressing it twice quickly) and you'd have to press the same key to get up again. (which could be a bit strange to handle)
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Re: Heretic morph bugs (Repost)

Postby Enjay » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:57 pm

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:You can't use weapons, your health is screwed around (you could effectively use it as a full health key by pressing it twice quickly) and you'd have to press the same key to get up again. (which could be a bit strange to handle)

Heh, but aside from that, it'd be fine eh? :lol:

About the only thing that isn't really a problem in what you listed is the same key thing. Plenty of games use a crouch toggle rather than one key for down, the other for up or an only crouched when pressing the key system. But that doesn't solve all the other problems.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby HotWax » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:50 pm

Well not to sway this thread any further off-topic, but if you really really must have a workaround for a crouch in, how about simply adding a console variable that sets the player's height? It would be a cheat and would therefore be disabled with sv_cheats 0 (or maybe special handling to allow it in netgames but not other "cheats", similar to FOV's handling) but when used would simply decrease both the physical and view height of the player.

Combined with a skin change, this would allow those that simply MUST have crouch to be able to bind a key to do that. In fact, it would allow even more. They could have a hunched-over skin, a crouched skin, and a crawling/prone skin each with their own heights etc. Maybe it'd get them to shutup for awhile? :)
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby randi » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:39 pm

Fixed. The morphed player took on the player's skin whenever its frame changed.
randi
Site Admin

Return to Closed Bugs