[User error] Hard to Reproduce Bug: Scripts Don't Always Work

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

Hard to Reproduce Bug: Scripts Don't Always Work

Postby SPZ1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:10 pm

I'm having an issue in my project where a couple scripts only seem to work about 75% of the time. It seems to have manifested after I updated another script to change the sky every second. The idea here is that the player gets into a boat and takes a ride into a bayou. The same script also manages the boat going out of the bayou and to where the player was originally at. Sometimes the player doesn't get out of the boat either (also a glitch). Keep in mind that this was working correctly without any change to the script. To see it try "puke 2" at the console a few times.

Link to my project example file: https://ufile.io/lf4kf5bj
SPZ1

Re: Hard to Reproduce Bug: Scripts Don't Always Work

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:25 am

I'll make it short: No script source,no help. Also you are always very quick to blame the engine for problems you experience where it is very likely to be a script problem on your side.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Player701 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:55 am

Wow, that is a huge one (400+ MB). And indeed, there are no uncompiled scripts in there, which is a must for debugging. If possible, please provide a minimal example - a small map (without all those models, graphics etc.) containing just the area needed to reproduce the issue, as well as the problematic script(s) in both compiled and source forms.
Player701

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby SPZ1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:57 am

I PM'd the scripts in question. I didn't post them earlier because the project is unreleased and it's inner workings are supposed to be a secret.
SPZ1

Postby Player701 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:33 am

There is no bug here. You have a duplicate player 1 start (thing 18) in your map without any arguments set, which generates a voodoo doll. This voodoo doll also gets the same TID as the player (42) and interferes with the operation of Thing_Move as a result. If I do not move and keep calling the script, the real player is always picked by Thing_Move first, and everything works normally. But if I move even a little, the order of iteration appears to change; it doesn't matter why it does (this is likely unspecified behavior), but as a result, Thing_Move fails to move the original player and moves the voodoo doll instead, which causes all kinds of problems afterwards.

As soon as I removed the offending player start thing, everything started working fine for me, regardless of how much I moved around and how many times I called the script. Please verify that the issue is resolved for you too when you do the same.
Player701

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby SPZ1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:45 am

Yes this is exactly the problem
SPZ1

Postby Rachael » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:20 am

Alright - with your tendency to blame the engine way too often for your own errors I am temporarily blocking your access to the bugs forum. Please start your topics in this forum here - Scripting - from now on - until you get into the habit of actually *asking* if it's a real engine bug first.

If you do actually manage to find an engine bug we can move your thread from that forum to the bug forum and deal with it from there.
Rachael
^ walking stack of unfinished projects ^
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Return to Closed Bugs