Sprite Shadows appear to 'float'

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Bob Beaky
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Sprite Shadows appear to 'float'

Post by Bob Beaky »

I've added "castspriteshadow" to the powerups. For some reason the shadow appears but it isn't on the ground but is slightly above. I've attached a picture of a Soulsphere on a pedestal on map 02 of NRFTL so that it's easier to see.

I'm using the Vulkan renderer but it also happens with the other renderers. I have the latest release of GZDoom and I've also tried it on the latest DRD builds from the 17th and 18th April.

PS: It's hard to say for sure but it looks like all shadows hang above the ground including monsters.

Probably user error but thought I should share in case.
Attachments
castspriteshadow.png
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Sprite Shadows appear to 'float'

Post by Graf Zahl »

The shadows are somewhat faked and a few sprites done in a way that lets it really stand out. The floating powerups are the best examples for that.
Bob Beaky
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Bob Beaky »

Ah, okay doke. Thanks for answering. At least it wasn't something I was doing wrong. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The shadow algorithm is the same as the Build engine games use: It just renders the sprite at 1/4th height and completely black. There is no flat projection, but in many cases it will look ok. Just not here...

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”