[Fixed] PDAs Still Causing a Crash

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: PDAs Still Causing a Crash

Postby Enjay » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:29 am

:lol: Well, it certainly means I don't need an immediate fix to the PDA Starter Kit.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: PDAs Still Causing a Crash

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:52 am

Enjay wrote:Well, I'd have never found that - I wouldn't have even known what to look for or where to find it, but I can certainly follow why it was a problem.

Yeah, it took me quite some time to find out what went wrong here. The entire idea to save the virtual destructor was a foolhardy idea from the start, because it renders the entire concept of an intrusive reference counter ad absurdum. You normally do not use such a thing with POD data, but with complex resources that require proper destruction when they are due to be deleted. And despite lack of an explicit destructor this struct had an implicit one so it needs to be virtual t be called through the base class's methods.

Enjay wrote:What's, more - I'm not clued in enough to know whether this constitutes a fix or whether it is merely a workaround, but this change also seems to have addressed this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70492 .

No, that was a different commit. It came out of trying to fix this one but turned out not to help at all for the PDA case.

Nash wrote:Does this mean I can postpone the upgrade work? ;)

Likely. The GC is now far more aggressive when the game is paused and it now also properly takes down the vertex buffers. Enjay's PDAs now call the GC every few seconds so they never have a chance to accumulate too much memory.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Previous

Return to Closed Bugs