[No need to change] Outside fog in changing sectors.

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Outide fog in changing sectors.

Postby Enjay » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:38 pm

Not entirely sure if this is a bug - or if it is even desirable to fix it.

I am using "outsidefog" in mapinfo for a map I'm making. During the game, a building gets damaged - its ceiling gets a nice hole in it courtesy of instantly lifting the ceiling and changing the ceiling texture to F_SKY1. When that happens, the sector effectively becomes an outside one, but does not become foggy.

I'm guessing the outsidefog stuff gets set up at map initialisation and cannot be changed afterwards. (Hmmm, I'll have to try changing a ceiling from F_SKY1 to something else - I suspect it will stay foggy). So, anyway, like I said, possibly not a bug, and probably nothing to "fix" but I noticed it so there you go.

If I really want the sector foggy (and I'm not sure that I do) I guess I could script a fog change too.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby randi » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:59 pm

Outsidefog was actually meant for non-Hexen format maps so they would have a way to make fog without it covering the whole level, so it only gets applied when the map is loading.

Changing it so that it works with dynamically changing ceiling textures should be easy. Is this what you want?
randi
Site Admin

Postby Enjay » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:25 pm

randy wrote:Is this what you want?

Heh, I'm not sure. :)

I kind of expected it to work, so when it didn't I thought it was worth reporting just in case it was meant to.

On balance I think I'd prefer it left as it is. That way I have the option of leaving the area non foggy or scripting it myself. I think that's probably better than suddenly being forced to accept a "shaft" of fog streaming in through a broken window in the ceiling or whatever effect I might be trying to achieve at some point.
Enjay

Postby Zell » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:37 pm

or maybe you could add a new mapinfo entry?

outsidefog - never changes, only applied at begging of map
dynamic_outsidefog - changes dynamically whenever f_sky is texture swicthed.

just an idea :D
Zell
:O ALIVE[again]

Postby Enjay » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:00 pm

Whilst that is a sensible suggestion, it's also unnecessary.

As Randy said, outside fog was really intened for non Hexen format levels (I didn't know that) - and those won't be changing their ceilings.

If a sector in a Hexen format level is having it's ceiling changed, chances are it's being done by a script (not even sure if it can be done another way). So, if there is already a script being done to change the sector, its only one more line of easy code to change the fog effect in the sector too.
Enjay

Postby Cyb » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:49 pm

curious though, does outsidefog also effect sectors with sky on the floor, because that can change in doom format maps, though floor sky is not often used (and within the small amount of times it's used, it's usually a newbie wad)
Cyb

Postby Zell » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:31 pm

e4e8 used the sky floor well actually...and if its used correctly its a good effect ^_^
Zell
:O ALIVE[again]

Postby randi » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:05 pm

Okay, I will leave it as-is.

Cyb wrote:curious though, does outsidefog also effect sectors with sky on the floor

No, only sectors with sky on the ceiling are affected.
randi
Site Admin

Return to Closed Bugs