[Fixed] Options' "option search" crash (LiTDoom 0.581)

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Options' "option search" crash (LiTDoom 0.581)

Postby Noname_ » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:03 pm

This crash occurs when loading *LiTDoom's current release (as of the moment this is being written, 0.581) in GZDoom, and using the "Search option" for any character/word.

- Loaded the mod into ZDL 3.2.2.3 beta, and using GZDoom 4.6.1 (Doom 2)
- Main menu, Options, Option search, Enter to write any word or character, then pressing Enter again to query the search
- Screen briefly freezes and causes a clean crash with no error message (CTD crash).

**Log text troubleshooting through the developer 3 console command did not give any particularly useful information, as it was a CTD crash.
It was later suggested to have been caused by a "Menu with endless recursion", as it was pointed out that one of the mod's (LiTDoom) custom options to select the Doom Guy class did not use the "return to previous menu" option, but instead used manual linking redirection to skip to another menu.

It has been reproduced two times: one instance reporting CTD crash, and the other being a freeze, through usage of this page's Discord server in which moderation and dev staff was involved. I've been since told, to properly archive this crash here.

*LiTDoom 0.581 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VixVL9FIj0X9yv2XnmfshPL3-Iz0Pk9G/view?usp=sharing
**One of the multiple log text files have been attached to this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Noname_

Discord: Noname#8446
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Options' "option search" crash (LiTDoom 0.581)

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:26 pm

I suspect a recursive menu link somewhere. There's so many menus here that I haven't found it yet.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby phantombeta » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:29 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:I suspect a recursive menu link somewhere. There's so many menus here that I haven't found it yet.

It is. From Discord:
<phantombeta> Mod Options>Difficulty Settings>Play as the Doomguy Class
<phantombeta> "No thanks" puts you back in the difficulty settings menu by linking there instead of triggering a "return to previous menu"
<phantombeta> "Yes please I'm casul" leads to another confirmation prompt, "No, maybe I'll keep my dignity" once again leads back to the difficulty settings menu

That doesn't work particularly well, since it opens the difficulty menu as a submenu instead of closing the confirmation prompts. But the options search shouldn't be letting such an easily-fixed recursion happen, either.
phantombeta
Tired of being treated like trash by control freaks

Postby m8f » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:01 am

m8f
dreamer

Discord: m8f#0629
Github ID: mmaulwurff
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Return to Closed Bugs