[Not a ZDoom bug] Freezes and crashes when breaking glass

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Freezes and crashes when breaking glass

Postby Goukuma » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:46 am

ZDoom eventually crashes when breaking glass in this wad. I copied and pasted the crash info dump into a text file.

BTW, if anyone wants to use my shattering glass including the texture, go right ahead as long as you credit me (and the sound is from Hexen, and the shard gfx and script is based on Hexen's). You might want to wait til it's working right though. Also, a few years ago I completely converted Hexen's glass exactly to ZDoom but it doesn't work in the newest version. I simply cut it down to one shard instead of all different colors in this level here.
Goukuma
Messatsu Oni Kyouaku Resshuu!

Postby Enjay » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:36 am

Hmmm, well your WAD certainly crashes for me too. However, I've been doing loads of scripts involving smashing stuff and shards flying everywhere in a little level I'm working on ATM and I haven't had a single crash. So I'm guessing it's down to your script (which I haven't checked) rather than a problem with the actual support of glass stuff.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Goukuma » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:32 pm

My scripts are based on Hexen's. I just made a version for windows that can be broken from either side and took away the variety in shards.

I have some theories though:
1. I replaced the brain decoration with the glass shard and I think that brain thing always was a little screwy. I think vanilla Doom2.exe might have crashed before when I used it in a level and you rarely actually see it in the normal game (map30 is the only instance I can think of).
2. Maybe it's something with the deh I have imbedded.
3. Maybe it is the scripts or level itself, bleh.

I'm going to see if things improve if I replace one of the pools of blood instead of the brains.
Goukuma

Postby Kappes Buur » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:24 pm

When I first played your map, I could break two windows without any trouble. After breaking the third window, ZDoom froze up and I had to reboot.

During the second and subsequent tries, ZDoom died every time I shot to break a window, and gave a fault listing.

Then I took out the dehacked lump and everything worked without trouble.

Maybe, someone could analyze the lump and part with some wisdom on why it causes the crash?

Code: Select allExpand view
Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Thing 90 (Flaming Skulls)
Bits = 514 | FLOATBOB

Thing 137 (Brains)
Initial frame = 721
Death frame = 958
Width = 327680
Mass = 5
Bits = NOBLOCKMAP, NOGRAVITY, DROPOFF, MISSILE, FLOORBOUNCE

Frame 720
Sprite subnumber = 10
Next frame = 702

Frame 721
Sprite number = 135
Sprite subnumber = 1
Duration = 4

Frame 722
Sprite number = 135
Sprite subnumber = 2
Duration = 4

Frame 723
Sprite number = 135
Sprite subnumber = 3
Duration = 4

Frame 724
Sprite number = 135
Sprite subnumber = 4
Duration = 4

Frame 725
Sprite number = 135
Sprite subnumber = 0
Duration = 4
Next frame = 721

Frame 958
Duration = 30
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kappes Buur

Postby Xaser » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:35 pm

Frame BRS1B0 seems to be a bad entry. Wintex won't display it correctly, and refuses to open it. Maybe that's the problem.

EDIT: Just confirmed. That's what caused the problem. Kappes, the reason why removing the Dehacked patch worked is because the bad sprite wasn't used anymore. The fixed wad is Attached Below.
Last edited by Xaser on Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Kappes Buur » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:43 pm

Xaser wrote:Frame BRS1B0 seems to be a bad entry. Wintex won't display it correctly, and refuses to open it. Maybe that's the problem.

BRS1A0 to BRS1E0 are sprites of the shards. Displays okay with XWE.
Kappes Buur

Postby Goukuma » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:03 pm

Thanks for figuring that out, guys. It was Wintex that corrupted that entry in the first place. It was performing illegal operations and I was clicking ignore.

That fixed wad isn't quite fixed though because brs1b0 is just flipped version of brs1c0 instead of the sprite it's supposed to be.

I just used good old dmgraph to insert the graphics in a new wad, and exported them to another new wad with NWT and it's working fine now.
Goukuma

Postby Kappes Buur » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:26 pm

On a further note, I took this section out of the dehacked lump:
Code: Select allExpand view
Thing 137 (Brains)
Initial frame = 721
Death frame = 958
Width = 327680
Mass = 5
Bits = NOBLOCKMAP, NOGRAVITY, DROPOFF, MISSILE, FLOORBOUNCE

and it also worked okay after that.

And on a different note, I like it better without the dehacked lump. At least the glass shards are flying all over and do not disappear in midair. Also, they keep on lying around.
Kappes Buur

Postby Goukuma » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:39 pm

Under Frame 958 simply add:
Next frame = 958

And they'll stay forever. Or just increase the duration from 30 tics (6/7 of a second) to something much longer. Keep in mind that fourty shards are generated by the script per a window. So in a huge level or one with lots of windows it might be a good idea to just make them last a long time before disappearing.
Goukuma

Postby Bio Hazard » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:28 am

Goukuma wrote:Under Frame 958 simply add:
Next frame = 958

And they'll stay forever.

or make the frame last for -1 tics
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Enjay » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:37 am

Ahhhh, so you made your own shards by replacing a Doom item? You do know that the Hexen shard items are supported for spawning in Doom games - right? Just use the Hexen graphics (or replacements) and you can spawn any of the following:

Rocks (spawn numbers 41-43)
Dirt (spawn numbers 44-49)
Stained glass (spawn numbers 54-63)

I've been using them for ages and they work just fine.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Goukuma » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:21 am

For some reason the shards were disappearing when I set the duration to -1. I think it's because you're not supposed to use -1 for frames of anything set to be a projectile.

I forgot about actually using the Hexen stuff. Still I made them last longer like Kappes Buur suggested. Actually I made them last a minute instead of forever.

BTW, I reuploaded a fixed wad, if anyone wants to get first frame of the shard that was corrupt before. I used the Hexen shards with my graphics so they don't last very long though.
Goukuma

Postby Bio Hazard » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:57 pm

Goukuma wrote:you're not supposed to use -1 for frames of anything set to be a projectile.

im using a modified "enjay's-blood-on-the-ground-thingy" and the pools last forever with the frame set to -1. hmm... isint the blood flying around a projectile?
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Goukuma » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:07 pm

Is the missile bit actually set on the thing? You can make something spew guts and bones and they'll stay with their duration of -1. But if you look at a one frame projectile like a rocket you'll see that it repeats itself instead of having a -1 duration.
Goukuma

Postby Doom » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:34 pm

I tried it and nothing crashed here, indeed, I started level several times just to break glasses again using different weapons but everything went OK.
Doom
Give me 80's metal or give me death

Next

Return to Closed Bugs