[not a bug] No Z-axis sound-distance calculaton

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I do Music and Levels. :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

[Not a bug], right?
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

randy wrote:I've known about this for years but have not changed it because Doom does it sound attenuation in 2D. Although it's not technically correct, it's not a bug either, because it was obviously designed to be that way.
Are you sure it was deliberately designed that way? Might it not be an oversight?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

David Ferstat wrote:
randy wrote:I've known about this for years but have not changed it because Doom does it sound attenuation in 2D. Although it's not technically correct, it's not a bug either, because it was obviously designed to be that way.
Are you sure it was deliberately designed that way? Might it not be an oversight?

Definitely. Doom did absolutely no z-calculations in its sound code. It hardly did them anywhere else which is the main reason for all the problems with the physics code in Doom.
What do you expect from an engine that has infinitely tall actors?

Personally, I wouldn't change it. Although it's not perfect changing it might cause some problems with sounds that are assumed not to be height sensitive.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”