[Fixed] Super Shotgun in Doom 1

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Super Shotgun in Doom 1

Postby Doris Lightford » Mon May 24, 2021 7:09 pm

Not sure if this is the right section, but I noticed in the new GZDoom 4.6.0 that the super shotgun is in Doom 1, meaning that it's a bug and that weapon slot is just an empty space with only the firing burst in the animation.

In earlier versions, Doom 1 would skip the super shotgun when wheeled through in Doom 1. I'm guessing this has to do with the animation fix on the hand?
Doris Lightford

Re: Super Shotgun in Doom 1

Postby Rachael » Mon May 24, 2021 7:53 pm

Ooops, yeah. This one is a bit tricky to fix. The animation fix was moved to another folder in order to make it so all versions of Doom (including wadsmoosh) could take advantage of it. But it should not be in Doom 1. Luckily, you can only get the SSG in Doom 1 with a cheat... so that does make it a little less urgent and gives us more time in coming up with a proper fix.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby drfrag » Tue May 25, 2021 2:09 am

Nash has already moved the graphic back to the original folder in WidePix.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Nash » Tue May 25, 2021 2:16 am

I wasn't aware of this until only a few minutes ago, when I noticed that he SSG sprite was in the wrong folder. I didn't know it was there because of the attempted Wadsmoosh support...
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Nash » Tue May 25, 2021 2:18 am

I'll let others decide how to deal with this. I don't play with Wadsmoosh (I prefer to keep my IWADs separate), and as a matter of fact, everything that was done for Wadsmoosh was not done by me. I had asked Rachael to help do it for me (which I do appreciate), simply because I don't know enough about Wadsmoosh...

I'll let her decide what's best here...
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Gez » Tue May 25, 2021 3:21 am

So it only affects cheaters, and the proper way to solve it is to quadriplicate the sprites into the doom2, tnt, plutonia and wadsmoosh folders. Even without WS it's still triplicated.

Doesn't really seem worth fixing. I'd rather tweak the "give weapons" code so that it doesn't give a weapon if any of its sprites are missing.
Gez

Postby drfrag » Tue May 25, 2021 3:37 am

But wadsmoosh could do with the original non wide graphic right? Or do its own thing.
I don't think quadruplicating sprites is a good idea.
Technically it's a minor bug only becouse using widescreen graphics is not mandatory.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Doris Lightford » Tue May 25, 2021 3:47 am

Hi, I posted this question -- I may have accidentally double posted. Anyway, I did some poking around in the dev builds. May 19 (245) is good, but May 20 (257) has the bug.

It sounds like everyone here has already figured it out, though. This is NOT a pressing issue, but it is something I noticed, as I often use IDKFA when checking a new version of a source port.

"I'd rather tweak the 'give weapons' code so that it doesn't give a weapon if any of its sprites are missing."

That seems like a smart fix to me.
Doris Lightford

Postby Zhs2 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:52 pm

What needed to be fixed in the Super Shotgun's very first Ready sprite? To my knowledge you already cannot collect a weapon when that sprite is missing, which is why other game weapons aren't given when you cheat.
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Rachael » Tue May 25, 2021 8:58 pm

It wasn't the ready sprite, it was a reload sprite. And that one needed Doomguy's hairy arm expanded off to the left.

This issue is fixed now - what I ended up doing was turning the graphic into a wall patch so that it is no longer recognized as a sprite - and then using the Textures.txt lump to re-import it as a sprite.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Matt » Wed May 26, 2021 12:14 pm

Out of curiosity, did this only affect id/Ultimate Doom? I just tried this in both Freedoom Phase 1 and shareware and I couldn't get the SSG either by summoning, give or IDFA.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed May 26, 2021 12:28 pm

In these the new assets won't get loaded at all. Freedom has its own sprites and shareware has the shareware lock.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Doris Lightford » Wed May 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Thank you Rachael!

And to answer another question, yes this bug was also present in Ultimate Doom megawads like No End In Sight. But not anymore, because it's fixed!
Doris Lightford

Return to Closed Bugs